LCD Monitor - photo editing?

Old August 24th 05, 10:32 AM
DonB

Default LCD Monitor - photo editing?

I am considering moving to a 19" LCD monitor, and comparative magazine
reviews gave the Editors pick as the Sony HS95P, saying excellent photo
display, contrast etc.
However Googling brought up one buyer who said he could not edit images
on it. Why his difficulties were was not said.
Does anyone know about editing on LCD monitors, and have you had any
trouble?
Thanks,
Don

Old August 24th 05, 06:36 PM
Beach Bum

reviews gave the Editors pick as the Sony HS95P, saying excellent photo
display, contrast etc.
However Googling brought up one buyer who said he could not edit images
on it. Why his difficulties were was not said.
Does anyone know about editing on LCD monitors, and have you had any
trouble?

One of the problems I had with early LCD's was the fact that the image isn't
illuminated equally. IOW, if you move your head up the top of the image
seems darker than the bottom, and vice versa. With any CRT this problem
simply doesn't exist. While LCD's are much better today, I still wouldn't
want to pay the amount required to get one on which professional photo
editing would be possible. For much less you can get a very high end CRT.
I've been working on 19inch for 6 years. I'd like to move up to 25 or more.
You might find 19 too small pretty quickly.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 24th 05, 06:55 PM
Jeremy Nixon

DonB wrote:

Does anyone know about editing on LCD monitors, and have you had any
trouble?

To use an LCD, you need a *really good* one. One test -- look at the
screen while moving your head around so that you see it from different
angles. Many LCDs will change in brightness and/or color depending on
what angle you look at them from. If you can go almost out to 90
degrees both vertically and horizontally without any change, that's a
good sign. If it appears darker or the colors change as the angle
increases, pass.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 24th 05, 07:43 PM
bmoag

Although they are improving it is more difficult to judge subtle color and
contrast gradations on an LCD than on a CRT.
However CRTs in general are over-rated in their real world ability to
display the range from black to white they are supposed to.
Niether of these factors may make a difference to the way you work if you do
not make subtle adjustments of this sort in Photoshop. An LCD can be
calibrated and as such be used in a reasonably reliable way for basic
monitor color matching/color management.

Old August 24th 05, 08:00 PM

bmoag wrote:

However CRTs in general are over-rated in their real world ability to
display the range from black to white they are supposed to.

Sir! Your vile heresies against the One True Religion of the
Flickering Tube have been noted by the devout. The CRT Central
Committee of Worship will be drawing up another Fatwa shortly, and you
can expect your name to figure prominently on it.

Old August 24th 05, 08:44 PM
tomm101

At my office had a good CRT, it died, the IT dept replaced it with a
rotten CRT, really had editing problems on that one. It has been
replaced with an HP 1940 LCD. I'm happy, editing is a dream with this
monitor. Two years ago I was in another office doing some for hire
work, they had what they called a state of the art editing system,
couldn't stand the Viewsonic LCD, get in close and it was all pixels,
very disorienting, the black was awful too. At home I use a 19" Lacie
Electron Blue CRT and a Gateway with a Sony Trinatron tube.

Tom

Free digital Editing Software Charles Kerekes Digital Photography 0 April 17th 05 05:18 PM
7 Steps for Editing Your Photos [email protected] Digital Photography 19 January 24th 05 02:04 PM
JPEG editing MB Digital Photography 44 November 4th 04 08:15 PM
Outdoor photography resources - articles, newsletter, forum, digital editing PT Digital Photography 0 September 13th 04 07:54 PM
Notebook computer for photo editing? Tim Green Digital Photography 3 June 24th 04 09:11 PM