Going to Ireland - Safe to take the 20D?

Old August 22nd 05, 03:22 PM
wilt

A friend recently warned against taking the
camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
item for stealing/mugging.

Rubbish. My wife and I were just in Ireland a year ago. Spent a few
days in Dublin, then went about the rest of the country for about 10
days. Never found a place where we ever felt uneasy about 'street
people' and being accosted. As others have noted, any large city has
its undesirables and tough parts, but we didn't easily blunder into
them like you might easily do in many U.S. cities. In fact, I dare
say Dublin feels a whole lot safer than walking downtown in a number of
major cities in the U.S.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:19 PM
piperut

Robbie wrote:
This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Robbie,

I took my Canon Digital Rebel to Scotland.
I had no problems.

The power supply that came with the Digital Rebel is automatically
switchable to 240 voltage. The only thing I had to do was go to Radio
Shack and get the adapter plug for the country I was going to.

You may want to check your user's manaual and see if the power supply
is one of the U.S. only, (110, or 120), or if it is 110-240 voltage).

In Scotland, nobody seemed to notice someone packing around a camera.
Nobody even commented on it. In one pub, someone commented that we
were Americans, because he supported America. Other then that, there
wasn't much about it.

Traveling around Scotland, I didn't see any areas that look really bad.
I didn't see any areas I would be afraid of walking around in. I
didn't see anything that looked close to the bad areas in even Salt
Lake City, let alone Los Angeles.

Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
(You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)

Anyway, if you use reasonable care you should be fine.

roland

Old August 22nd 05, 04:36 PM
David J Taylor

piperut wrote:
[]
Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
(You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)

Dublin is fine - it's a city I would return to any time. Even better now
that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
pleasant! Many fine photos for DSLRs and point-and-shoot!

David

Old August 22nd 05, 04:44 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rox-off
wrote:

Your friend is crazy.

Ireland is a tourist-friendly place.

And they're all drunk over there anyway.
Old August 22nd 05, 05:01 PM
piperut

David J Taylor wrote:
piperut wrote:
[]
Ireland might be a bit rougher then Scotland because of the IRA.
However, they have been dormant of late. I am not sure, but I think
they actually might have come to terms with the Brittish Government.
(You might have to search Google, Yahoo or Dogpile on this.)

Dublin is fine - it's a city I would return to any time. Even better now
that there is a complete ban on smoking in public places - much more
pleasant! Many fine photos for DSLRs and point-and-shoot!

David

You know how the press is - they jump on anything negative like the IRA
and blow it out of shape. I also forgot about the ban on smoking in
Ireland.

I guess they have even banned smoking in pubs!

roland

Old August 22nd 05, 05:11 PM
David J Taylor

piperut wrote:
[]
You know how the press is - they jump on anything negative like the
IRA and blow it out of shape. I also forgot about the ban on smoking
in Ireland.

I guess they have even banned smoking in pubs!

roland

Yes, that's right.

For once I feel happy going into pubs where I never would have before, I
would always have been trying to dodge the smoke, and would have felt
generally uncomfortable. What you now see is that there are small groups
of smokers hanging about outside the pubs, and some pubs have even put a
TV showing football for the smokers over the door!

The one negative thing is that when you want to take advantage of the
pleasant outdoor dining at lunchtime or early evening, you may be stuck
with the smokers!

Cheers,
David

Old August 22nd 05, 05:44 PM
carrigman

As a 20D owner and living in Ireland I can assure you there is no danger.

Abide by common sense rules in major cities and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Carrigman