Dumb RAW Question

Old August 19th 05, 03:05 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Bruce wrote:

I've just switched my Nikon D70 to RAW format and after saving the files
using the Nikon software I don't seem to be able to view them in Abobe Photo
Elements. Like you I'm confused is there a plugin or something.

The "Camera Raw" plugin is used. However, it should have come with Elements.
What version do you have?

--
Jeremy |
Old August 19th 05, 05:28 AM
Merritt Mullen

"Bruce" wrote:

I've just switched my Nikon D70 to RAW format and after saving the files
using the Nikon software I don't seem to be able to view them in Abobe Photo
Elements. Like you I'm confused is there a plugin or something.

Photoshop Elements 3 comes with a RAW plugin. Not sure about earlier
versions.

Merritt
Old August 19th 05, 08:01 AM
Cockpit Colin

I'm sure ZoomBrowser is there - mixed up amongst the 4098 other pieces of
software that Canon likes to install by default on my PC.

For what it's worth, in the end I deleted ALL of the Canon software, and
just stuck with a cheap card reader and a copy of photoshop - can't say I'm
regretting a thing.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
The Canon tech insisted I should have installed "ZoomBrowser" but I could
not find it on verr 9.1 EOS Digital Solutions Disk. But that was a clue.

downloaded ZoomBrwoser and now I can access the RAW images fine directly
from the camera.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old August 19th 05, 08:26 AM
G.T.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
The Canon tech insisted I should have installed "ZoomBrowser" but I could
not find it on verr 9.1 EOS Digital Solutions Disk. But that was a clue.

downloaded ZoomBrwoser and now I can access the RAW images fine directly
from the camera.

Do yourself a favor and still get a card reader.

Greg

Old August 19th 05, 10:08 AM
zog

Mr. Mark wrote:

What I was trying to say is that Explorer doesn't see the files, nor does it
see the full directory structure that exists on the CF card when the 20D is
plugged in via USB. However, the Canon file transfer software DOES see the
RAW files and will transfer them. Then you can use Elements or what ever to
do your RAW conversions. The other option is using a card reader - then
Explorer DOES see the RAW files and has no trouble moving them to where ever
you want. I don't know why Canon would design the system this way.

yeah thats right, XP cannot see the camera as a device (thanks a lot
Canon), simplest solution is to use a card reader, plug it in, plug in
the card, XP, Linux, Macs just see it as a device and you can treat it
just like any other hard drive
Old August 19th 05, 01:00 PM
Alan Browne

John Bean wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:42:28 GMT, "John Keiser"
wrote:

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?

It sounds like you're trying to import them from the camera
using USB or whatever. You need to copy the raw files onto
your computer before you can open them - it's probably best
to use a card reader to do this.

I can load RAW's direct from the camera via USB. To the computer, the
camera flash is just another drive. (I normally copy to disk first, of
course).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 19th 05, 01:01 PM
Alan Browne

Mr. Mark wrote:

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?
Thank you.

You need to either use a card reader or the transfer software that came with
the camera to read the RAW files. I don't know why, but the camera hides
the RAW files when it's plugged in. Weird.

Maxxum7D allows the computer to see the MRW's (RAW) directly.
FWIW. Not much...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 19th 05, 01:16 PM
John Bean

wrote:

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?

It sounds like you're trying to import them from the camera
using USB or whatever. You need to copy the raw files onto
your computer before you can open them - it's probably best
to use a card reader to do this.

I can load RAW's direct from the camera via USB. To the computer, the
camera flash is just another drive. (I normally copy to disk first, of
course).

A 20D isn't "just another drive" Alan, not without special
Canon drivers installed. That's the problem here; there are
lots of possible solutions, one of which is to use a card
reader rather than the camera.

--
Regards

John Bean
Old August 19th 05, 05:34 PM
G.T.

wrote:

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?

It sounds like you're trying to import them from the camera
using USB or whatever. You need to copy the raw files onto
your computer before you can open them - it's probably best
to use a card reader to do this.

I can load RAW's direct from the camera via USB. To the computer, the
camera flash is just another drive. (I normally copy to disk first, of
course).

I think the problem is that Canon's don't support USB mass storage. It's
been along time since I've connected my cameras directly to my computer but
when I did I believe I needed Canon's software to see the photos on the
camera.

Gre

Old August 20th 05, 01:45 AM
Alan Browne

John Bean wrote:

A 20D isn't "just another drive" Alan, not without special
Canon drivers installed. That's the problem here; there are
lots of possible solutions, one of which is to use a card
reader rather than the camera.

Who said I was talking about Canon?
Cheers,
Alan