D70 question

Old August 17th 05, 02:18 AM
Nicholas Wittebol

Default D70 question

I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
pictures the camera has taken in total?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas
Old August 17th 05, 02:56 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:

I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
pictures the camera has taken in total?

If you can take a picture using the camera, in RAW format, the resulting
NEF file will contain a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount, and
that will contain the total number of shots taken, even if the file
numbering sequence has been reset.

I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
read it.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 17th 05, 03:17 AM
Mike Warren

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how
many pictures the camera has taken in total?

A small program he

http://www.cs.ust.hk/cssystem/henry/d70/d70count.html

Will display the count from a D70 or D70S by opening a JPEG
from the camera. It does not work on NEFs.

-Mike

Old August 17th 05, 04:12 AM
DoN. Nichols

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Nicholas Wittebol wrote:

I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
pictures the camera has taken in total?

If you can take a picture using the camera, in RAW format, the resulting
NEF file will contain a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount, and
that will contain the total number of shots taken, even if the file
numbering sequence has been reset.

I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
read it.

Exiftool will also extract it from JPEGs as well as the NEF
files.

I'm wondering how much luck you will have in finding a used D70,
however. Let us know how that goes.

Good Luck,
Don.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 17th 05, 10:52 PM
Jan Böhme

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
[...] a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount,[...]

I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
read it.

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Jan B=F6hme

Old August 17th 05, 11:02 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Jan Böhme wrote:

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Wouldn't mind at all. If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 18th 05, 12:20 AM
John McWilliams

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Jan Böhme wrote:

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Wouldn't mind at all. If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

The File Browser in CS is another, perhaps more convenient way to view a
lot of EXIF data, and make your own notations if you like, esp. if you
are view a lot of images and want to peek at the data.

MakerNotes not apparent therein, nor does Edit history record for me.

--
John McWilliams
Old August 18th 05, 04:41 AM
Merritt Mullen

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Jan Böhme wrote:

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Wouldn't mind at all. If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.

Merritt
Old August 18th 05, 05:22 AM
John McWilliams

Merritt Mullen wrote:
In article ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Jan Böhme wrote:

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Wouldn't mind at all. If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.

Are you referring to PSE 3's ability to show any EXIF data, or just
MakerNotes and History of edits?

--
John McWilliams
Old August 18th 05, 01:22 PM
Rox-off

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:17:36 +1000, Mike Warren wrote:

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
pictures the camera has taken in total?

A small program he

http://www.cs.ust.hk/cssystem/henry/d70/d70count.html

Will display the count from a D70 or D70S by opening a JPEG from the
camera. It does not work on NEFs.

-Mike

Hey! That's a very cool program! Thanks for posting the link.

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!
email: drop rods and insert surfaces