() new Digital Photo Site ()

Old July 23rd 05, 11:24 PM
Pete D

Default () new Digital Photo Site ()

Crappy site with pain in the bum flashing things, some "nice" images, most
off which need to be cropped. What are you trying to achieve Kent?

Cheers.

"Kent" wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~stock_photo/

Any comments?

Old July 25th 05, 06:06 AM
J. P. Scott

Kent, you have some lovely photos on your site.. Great start for
someone new to DSLR!

Great job!

Pat

*****
http://photography-cafe.com

Old July 27th 05, 10:21 PM
Steve Dell

Your scenery photos needed a polarizer to saturate the color.

Nice images though.

Steve

Old July 29th 05, 06:54 AM
Kent

Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions for a not so
expensive 72mm Cir. Polarizer?

"Steve Dell" wrote

Old July 30th 05, 08:16 PM
Steven Blackwood

Kent,
You have some nice shots but. in resizing them for your site, you seem to be
also choosing high compression rates, This is especially true in your
sunset/rise shots. You can tell from the very hard boundaries between shades
of brightness.

--
Steven Blackwood

Old July 30th 05, 08:22 PM
Steven Blackwood

Better would be a graduated polarizer. See this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=7&Submit=Go

There are others as well. I have this one. in a smaller model.

--
Steven Blackwood

Old July 31st 05, 02:00 AM
Kent

Hi Steven,

I've never heard of a graduated polarizer. Did you mean graduated ND?
I just bought the Cokin Grad ND x4 for a starter. What do you think of
Cokin filters?
Maybe I'll invest in B+W filters if the Cokin turns out good.

Kent...

"Steven Blackwood" wrote in
:

Better would be a graduated polarizer. See this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&b=109&a=27_
305&a=33_180&shs=&ci=116&ac=&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=7 &Submit=Go

There are others as well. I have this one. in a smaller model.

Old July 31st 05, 03:33 AM
Steven Blackwood

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I have no experience
with the Cokin brand.

--
Steven Blackwood

Old July 31st 05, 09:51 PM
nick c

Kent wrote:
Hi Steven,

I've never heard of a graduated polarizer. Did you mean graduated ND?
I just bought the Cokin Grad ND x4 for a starter. What do you think of
Cokin filters?
Maybe I'll invest in B+W filters if the Cokin turns out good.

Kent...

"Steven Blackwood" wrote in
:

Better would be a graduated polarizer. See this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&b=109&a=27_
305&a=33_180&shs=&ci=116&ac=&Submit.x=9&Submit.y =7&Submit=Go

There are others as well. I have this one. in a smaller model.

Hi Kent,

First off, I should tell you my bag has B+W and Heliopan filters. I've
had my filters for years so I keep using them. However, I know folks who
use Cokin filters and they swear by them. Reason being, much of their
photographic systems consists of prime lenses and third party lenses,
which range in size from 58mm to 77mm filter sizes. Buying high end
filters to use on different type lenses would be costly, besides loading
their bag with multiples of a lot of different size filters. Using
step-up rings could save some money but they should be tried first to
find out if the larger size filters would fit into the mated lens hood.
Besides, it's not easy to use polarized or graduated filters in such
installations.

Two weeks ago, I borrowed a couple of graduated "P" size Cokin filters
(with the Cokin lens hood), just to putzz around with them and see if
they are as easy to use as my B+W graduated filters. I not only found
them easier to use, I like the idea of being able to adjust how much of
the filter graduation I want to use in a shot. After my experience with
them, I'm thinking of looking into this type of filter setup, just for
graduated filters. In my case, I would have no use for replacing all my
filters with a Cokin type filter setup. But, if I were just beginning to
amass a bunch of filters, I think it would be wise to see what the
market offers in Cokin type filter setups. Especially, if there are a
lot of different filter size lenses that have to be considered.

When I tried the Cokin graduated filters, I still used my B+W/Heliopan
KR1.5 filters and at times used my B+W/Heliopan warming type filters
along with the graduated Cokin filter setup. The end result being, I
like the results and ease of use. For example, to get the same results
with my conventional filters, I would have to stack a larger size filter
over a smaller size filter to avoid vignetting. When doing that,
oftentimes (but not always), I can't stack and still use the mated lens
hood. Cokin type plus conventional filter setups would easily resolve
that problem.

Old August 10th 05, 07:38 PM
Cardamon Dave

Nice use of lighting. Backgrounds like concrete driveways detract from
the natural attractiveness of floral closeups. And lose that orange
traffic cone in the shoreline photo.

What equipment are you using?

-Cardamon Dave