Color Management-Color Spyder

Old September 28th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

Default Color Management-Color Spyder

I finally obtained the Color Spyder Studio version with the Monitor and
Printer Calibrators. My initial impressions a

My newly purchased I-Mac (Last Oct) did not vastly change but is
actually more dimly set by the calibration than the preset of the
generic LCD profile, at gamma 2.2

When I look at the profile I just created versus my own visually done
calibration, through the Apple calibration-they are virtually identical.

I did the 250+ color calibration on the paper print out for color
printer calibrations. The results are certainly better comparing prints
from recent non calibrated printing, but maybe not perfect. After all
there exists the 700+ calibration which I have not done - also I think
there will always be a slight disconnect from on screen luminous images
to flat reflection based prints. Yet I believe this device will save me
money as I made first prints instead of several lead up to prints.

Thus far I have only tried one paper, the beauty is I can profile any
printer and and paper. For the 599. price I could make a lot of prints,
I believe though that this should save a bit of time.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Peirce

In article
,
____ wrote:

When I look at the profile I just created versus my own visually done
calibration, through the Apple calibration-they are virtually identical.

Good for you. I couldn't come close to what I got with the Spyder. It
is also considerably different from the default on my MBP.

I didn't go for the printer calibration because it is excellent with the
built-in profiles.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Old September 28th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

____ wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the report above. I did the Mac calibration (visual) on my
iMac and the only difference between the Mac setting and my calibration
is mine is slightly cooler in appearance.

I do need to improve the printer/paper profiles and a friend was
supposed to lend me his Gretag MacBeth system last week, but we did not
hookup. Soon I hope.

I want to buy some high quality papers for some prints, and at $5.00 a
sheet (+/-), I want more predictable results before I commit the prints.

BTW, I bought an Epson 3800 printer. Fantastic.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 28th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

____ wrote:
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Sweet"

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 28th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ],
Robert Peirce wrote:

In article
,
____ wrote:

When I look at the profile I just created versus my own visually done
calibration, through the Apple calibration-they are virtually identical.

Good for you. I couldn't come close to what I got with the Spyder. It
is also considerably different from the default on my MBP.

I didn't go for the printer calibration because it is excellent with the
built-in profiles.

I have fairly accurate color perception, I've been color printing since
1986.....and I had good photo teachers when I went through college.

Probably would be a different story on my part if the screen was a bit
older.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 29th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

____ wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I want to buy some high quality papers for some prints, and at $5.00 a
sheet (+/-), I want more predictable results before I commit the prints.

BTW, I bought an Epson 3800 printer. Fantastic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Sweet"

Sweet indeed. Even with the printer and paper profiles not yet done
it's giving me much better prints than the store where I've gotten
prints over the past couple years. I don't order prints above 24x16
very often, so this will handle that without a burp.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 30th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

BTW, I bought an Epson 3800 printer. Fantastic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Sweet"

Sweet indeed. Even with the printer and paper profiles not yet done
it's giving me much better prints than the store where I've gotten
prints over the past couple years. I don't order prints above 24x16
very often, so this will handle that without a burp.

I found an interesting little tit bit. The IMac I have came installed
with a program called Digital Color Meter The eye dropper from this
program will sample both in the program just named and also in PSCS3 at
the same time. Open a file in PSCS3 and click on a chosen color area.
When you bring up RGB as a 8 bit hex value the Color meter program reads
4B,B8,Ef

But photo shop sees 3f,bb,f1 using web colors. Not that they should be
the same but....its interesting they use the same tool and import both
values simultaneously to the respective programs where they can be
viewed side by side.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 30th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

____ wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

It depends how you're viewing the image in CS3 as well as the aperture
size of DigColMeter. (Mac RGB, Windows RGB, Adobe, simulation of the
printed paper. etc...).

From DCM: "RGB as an _actual_ value" ???

Why can't they just say decimal? Hexadecimal is just as "actual".

"There are 10 kind of people: those who understand binary arithmetic and
those who don't."

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 30th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

____ wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

From DCM: "RGB as an _actual_ value" ???

Why can't they just say decimal? Hexadecimal is just as "actual".

"There are 10 kind of people: those who understand binary arithmetic and
those who don't."

Hee he - I should be able, never studied the stuff directly, but I
passed college Trig with a C+ doing moderate studying one point shy of a
"B"

But to answer there are two settings one is "actual" designation the
other which I am using and referring, gives the above values and
mimmicks- but I should state not closely,,,, the alpha numeric values
for the web color values in Photoshop. Are these not "pantone" color
chart designations? Maybe I am wrong?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old October 1st 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

____ wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

From DCM: "RGB as an _actual_ value" ???

Why can't they just say decimal? Hexadecimal is just as "actual".

But to answer there are two settings one is "actual" designation the
other which I am using and referring, gives the above values and
mimmicks- but I should state not closely,,,, the alpha numeric values
for the web color values in Photoshop. Are these not "pantone" color
chart designations? Maybe I am wrong?

In the box in DCM its simply the decimal (what they call 'actual')
version (0 .. 255) or the Hex version (0 to FF). "10" in decimal is
"0A" in hex.

In CS3 the Pantone codes are available the color picker (point at the
color toolbar, click, then 'color libraries'). There is no relationship
with RGB codes (or CYMK percentages) that I can tell. (And there are
several Pantone sets as well...).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.