What do you use for prints - inkjet or dye-sublimation?

Old March 24th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.M. Procida

Default What do you use for prints - inkjet or dye-sublimation?

I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over the
dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Daniele
Old March 24th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Doe

My HP 7960 (a few years old) ink jet can produce prints identicle in
quality to what I get from the photo lab.

Best,

Ross

Old March 24th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

D.M. Procida wrote:

I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over the
dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Daniele

Yes I think dye sub has been overcome, though it's not bad, some labs
might still use it & there are some 4x6 type printers still sold with
that technology. I think the HP is a dye based inkjet, I use a pigment
based Epson inkjet. They are all good. For really large prints (13x19
max at home) I get lightjet prints on basically traditional photo paper,
that's what many photo labs use now, inkjet is called [crap I forget the
fancy artist term for sprayed ink in French or whatever it is] and it's
really not more affordable, just allows you to do it at home as lightjet
isn't a home or even office solution. And inkjet lets you experiment
with different papers & such, like 'fine art watercolor paper' or canvas.
Old March 24th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Wolfe[_2_]

I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over the
dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Dye-sub and inkjets have different advantages. I have a 4x6 Sony dye-sub
from years ago which prints at 403 DPI. While that is lower than the huge
figures quoted by inkjet manufacturers, because of the difference in
technology, it gives a print that is very sharp - STUNNINGLY sharp. And
with the clear overcoat, the prints are incredibly resiliant.

Now... inkjets. The high-end inkjets have a wider gamut than dye-sub, are
cheaper to print with, and can print much larger. I haven't compared the
gamut of low-end inkjets to that of high-end models, but just in shadow
detail, you can see a VERY large difference between low- and high-end
models.

If I had to make a judgement call, I'd say that the dye-sub is, overall,
better than a cheap inkjet, but not as good as a quality inkjet. That's a
personal call, though, if others see things differently, please chime in.

Steve

Old March 24th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
CJS

Came accross this yesterday - perhaps the way things are headed with
printers? Phenominal DPI

http://memjet.com/popup_7.html

More info at:

http://memjet.com

Pretty damned impressive if you ask me!

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

Old March 24th 07, 10:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

D.M. Procida wrote:
I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over
the dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Daniele

I use a color laser. If I have something that I really like and want
real quality I have it commerically printed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old March 24th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:

[...]

i would agree with that analysis.

I use Mitsubshi dye sub printers and Epson inkjet printers. The dye
subs are used for event photography. They are very fast and the
prints are extremely durable straight out of the printer - ideal for
people taking prints home with them soon after.

The Epson inkjets (2400 and 4800) are used for everything else. They
offer extremely high image quality.

If you want the best quality, a quality inkjet will beat any dye sub.
The dye sub scores if you want speed and a very durable product.

Horses for courses.

Old March 24th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

CJS wrote:
Came accross this yesterday - perhaps the way things are headed with
printers? Phenominal DPI

http://memjet.com/popup_7.html

More info at:

http://memjet.com

Pretty damned impressive if you ask me!

5 color and I can't see where it's actually going to be cheaper to run,
no matter what they claim.

Further, with a full-page-width print head it's going to have a lot of
chances to destroy itself by clogging one nozzle.

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over
the dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Daniele

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old March 25th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Guy

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:05:52 +0000, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I used to be up-to-date with this sort of thing, but no longer - for
producing photo prints at home, does inkjet still have the dge over the
dye-sublimation printers on the market?

Epson R800 for prints up to 8-11-1/2. Send out for anything bigger.

Ditto - Epson R260
Old March 25th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ROY BRAGG

Also the Canon i560 does well for my needs. I also have a Canon BJC4300,
but since the i560 has separate rather than combined color ink tanks it has
more ink capacity.
Roy
. ..