REQUEST: Recommendation for U/W dig camera/housing

Old July 25th 04, 07:36 AM
Jon C

Default REQUEST: Recommendation for U/W dig camera/housing

Quiet Voice wrote:

Greetings:

I'm interested in soliciting recommendations for a digital U/W
camera...either a standalone camera -OR- normal surface camera with a
U/W housing.

I *was* looking at the Reefmaster DC310. But I saw a bunch of negative
comments about earlier Reefmaster models here on USENET. So I thought
I'd get a few recommendations first.

Ideally, I would like the camera to use compact-flash mem cards simply
because that's what I have now and it would be nice to have something
compatible. Also, it would be nice it the camera had some capability
for shooting video too. And of course, avalability of accessories
(such as a strobe) is also a consideration.

I currently own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. My search for a housing for it
turned up only one listed as being manufactured by an outfit in
Germany.....and I have not found ANY distributors for it. If anyone
knows of one, I'd be interested in that info as well.

Thank you!

I have a Canon A75. Takes great pics, lots of great auto and manual
options (including an underwater mode), $170 housing, uses CF cards.

Old July 25th 04, 09:03 AM
Tack

Hi Quiet,
Nice to see another ozzie here!
I use the Canon S45 and canon housing. Add on strobe and lenses
Canon make their own housings as do Olympus. Cost is quite good.
Have a look at my equipment on my web page

www.DivingTheBlue.com

HTH
Tim

om...

Old July 26th 04, 06:00 PM
drwxr-xr-x

On 25 Jul 2004 15:33:39 -0700, Quiet Voice hath writ:
Sawdust Black Dahila Murder wrote
ikelite makes great housings.

I checked the Ikelite catalog before I posted. They don't have
anything for Minolta at all.....let alone the Dimage 7Hi.

If they have a more extensive catalog than the one in the dive shop,
I'd be interested in finding out about it.

Well, dooh:

http://www.ikelite.com/

Old July 28th 04, 05:36 PM
Chris Guynn

Someone wrote in message

Try this website for a lot of info: www.digideep.com

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I tired that website before I
posted. I must have some sort of outdated browser or something because
I couldn't get into it!! I typed the url. Got a search page. Entered
my search criteria and selected "digideep" as the place to search.
After a few seconds....I got returned right back to the search page!
After two go-rounds, I gave up. Like I said, I must be using a browser
that too old, not javascript enabled, or something.

But thanks again for the recommendation.

These people (http://www.bruder-uw-technik.com/en/index.htm)are supposed to
have a compatible housing (M A1/A2), but I can't find it on their website.

There's another housing here, but I can't say I'd recommend it
http://www.ewamarine.com/english/cameras/e-dadax.htm. It looks pretty
flimsy and it's only rated to 30m. The AX version does allow for a "top
mounted flash". I assume that means a strobe.