Nikon Afficionado's New Release Due When??

Old April 27th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Nikon Afficionado's New Release Due When??

Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300 between
D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any chance
for full frame?

Old April 27th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"uw wayne" writes:

Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300 between
D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any chance
for full frame?

Nikon has said "no" to full frame, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I
were you.

Also, they're not able to keep up with D200 demand yet, so that's
probably a higher priority than releasing a new body; they might sit
on it even if it was ready, to avoid disrupting D200 production.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old April 27th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

uw wayne wrote:
Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300
between D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any
chance for full frame?

Soon?

With Nikon...NOTHING happens "soon."

-That's not necessarily a bad thing. Canon is sometimes a bit, "too
soon..."
But SHEEEESH...Nikon does seem S-L-O-W. . . . . . .
..

Old April 27th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"uw wayne" writes:

Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300 between
D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any chance
for full frame?

Nikon has said "no" to full frame, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I
were you.

Please site the source of this emphatic and unqualified "no".

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 27th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"uw wayne" writes:

Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300 between
D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any chance
for full frame?

Nikon has said "no" to full frame, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I
were you.

Please site the source of this emphatic and unqualified "no".

Widely discussed press release a few months ago.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old April 27th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"uw wayne" writes:

Nikon announced the release of the D2X last Summer and the D200 in
November of 2005. That is six months between body releases. The D2X

is
now approaching it's "major purchaser window". There is also the
pricing disparity between the D2X at $5,000 and the D200 at $1699.
With the dramatic changes in technology every six months, the fact

the
D200 is now six months old, and a huge void in pricing of $3300

between
D2X & D200 can we expect a new body release anytime soon? Any chance
for full frame?

Nikon has said "no" to full frame, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I
were you.

Please site the source of this emphatic and unqualified "no".

Widely discussed press release a few months ago.

The only thing I can find are statements such as this one:

"Nikon Denies Possibility of Making 35mm Full-Frame Sensor

Industry watchers have been discussing if Nikon Corp., Tokyo, Japan, will
come out with a 35mm full-size image sensor in pro-oriented digital SLR. A
Nikon top official denied the possibility of making new full-size sensors,
Photo Trade Express reports.
"35mm is a film format, which I do not think is necessary in the digital
era," says Makoto Kimura of Nikon. "We have been exploring the possibility
of commercializing a 35mm full-size sensor, but it's not clear at this
moment if we go for it. We feel that the 'DX' format or APS-C size will be
the best for the DSLR and interchangeable lenses. Based on the assumption
Nikon has been bringing up in number the lenses for the DX format, change in
the size of the sensor would possibly puzzle some users in finding effective
focal length related to angle of view," he says."

Where clearly the only use of the word "possibility" is in Nikon's assertion
that they are exploring the possibility of commercializing a 35mm full-size
sensor. I've yet to see a clear unequivocable and emphatic denial of
full-frame sensor in Nikon's future. Not that one doesn't exist, I just
haven't seen it--I suppose I could just take your word for it... ;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 27th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Matt Clara wrote
(in article ):

"uw wayne" writes:

[...]

They've painted themselves into a corner with these DX lenses.
If they go to a full-frame, even if only on the pro bodies,
they'll have all these customers that won't want to upgrade if
they have a lot of DX glass in the bag.

It's not quite as bad as moving from Nikon to Canon (or vice
versa), but similar. I suspect they'll *have* to bite the
bullet if Canon gets a lot of converts because of their
full-frame sensor models. Or, if they wait too long, it could
be fatal. Makes you wonder about buying DX lenses though, eh?

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

Old April 27th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

And just where will Nikon get these sensors? Does anyone else besides Canon
make a FF sensor that's suitable for use technically and econmically in a
DSLR?

Old April 27th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Widely discussed press release a few months ago.

Then you might have a link to that press release?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 27th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message
And just where will Nikon get these sensors? Does anyone else besides

Canon
make a FF sensor that's suitable for use technically and econmically in a
DSLR?

You're right. The fact that Canon currently has a full-frame sensor
precludes anyone else from ever having one.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com