battery recharge problem

Old November 5th 05, 11:54 AM
Paul Heslop

Default battery recharge problem

David J Taylor wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

GMAN wrote:
[]
The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

The Canon S2 IS is off-topic in this group.
It is on-topic in: rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Not to the OP it's not and his C765 is a similar cam

rec.photo.digital.zlr caters for cameras with manual focus, aperture and
shutter control, which includes the C765. Whether you would consider it
SLR-like, though, might be open for debate!

David

:O) For sure
--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look
Old November 7th 05, 03:08 AM
Dan Valleskey

I don't even know what zlr stands for.

-OP.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:00:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

[]

Old November 7th 05, 08:31 AM
David J Taylor

Default RPD sub-groups (was: battery recharge problem)

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I don't even know what zlr stands for.

Yes, that was something we discussed a lot at time of the group's
creation. We tried hard to find a better term, and could not. ZLR is
defined he

http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/ZLR.asp

as "an acronym for Zoom Lens Reflex", and generally means a high-end
consumer camera of SLR-like appearance with full manual controls and a
zoom lens.

There was a desire at the time of forming the news groups to separate out
the cameras which looked like SLRs and had lots of manual control
(shutter, aperture, focus etc.) from the very simple "press the button
only" cameras (which also tended to be smaller). Perhaps people would
want to progress from limited capability point+shoot to full capability
ZLR cameras.

But, that's all water under the bridge now.

I am coming round to the idea that covering both type of camera in one
group might benefit both sets of enthusiasts, and with the advances in
smaller cameras (seeing image stabilisation systems in pocket cameras, for
example) there is some justification. This would then leave
rec.photo.digital with three sub-groups

- slr-systems (interchangeable lens cameras)
- fixed lens (the existing point+shoot and zlr)
- rangefinder

It is this idea that I was suggesting for discussion, so I'll cross-post
it to the ZLR group as well.

David

Old November 7th 05, 08:31 AM
Paul Heslop

Dan Valleskey wrote:

I don't even know what zlr stands for.

-OP.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:00:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

GMAN wrote:
[]
The Canon S2 IS is not a lower end and it uses AA's

The Canon S2 IS is off-topic in this group.
It is on-topic in: rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Zipper-Lunacy-Radius

:O))

Old November 7th 05, 05:24 PM
Dave Sill

Default RPD sub-groups

"David J Taylor" writes:

I am coming round to the idea that covering both type of camera in one
group might benefit both sets of enthusiasts, and with the advances in
smaller cameras (seeing image stabilisation systems in pocket cameras, for
example) there is some justification. This would then leave
rec.photo.digital with three sub-groups

- slr-systems (interchangeable lens cameras)
- fixed lens (the existing point+shoot and zlr)
- rangefinder

It is this idea that I was suggesting for discussion, so I'll cross-post
it to the ZLR group as well.

First, the procedure for creating/removing/renaming groups is
currently on hold pending redevelopment. Any discussion or potential
reorganization at this point is premature.

Second, r.p.d.rangefinder is pretty much dead at the moment.

Third, I'm not sure that throwing point+shoot and zlr together would
be beneficial. Some zlr users would fit better with the slr group.

If I was reorganizing the hierarchy right now, I might go with two
groups something like:

r.p.d.automatic (point+shoot, and zlr/slr in fully auto mode)
r.p.d.manual (zlr/slr/etc in a mode with manual control of at least
one major setting)

Or maybe:

r.p.d.macro
r.p.d.portrait
r.p.d.action
r.p.d.postproc
etc.

I don't think, in general, that it's a good idea to name the groups
after a technology in the camera that might be obsolete in 5-10
years. A functional breakdown should stand the test of time.

But... We need to wait and see what happens with the management of the
Big 8 hierarchy before we seriously discuss a reorganization.

--
Dave Sill Oak Ridge National Lab, Workstation Support
Author, The qmail Handbook http://web.infoave.net/~dsill
Old November 9th 05, 11:05 PM
Charles Schuler

"Dave Sill" wrote in message
"David J Taylor"
writes:

I am coming round to the idea that covering both type of camera in one
group might benefit both sets of enthusiasts, and with the advances in
smaller cameras (seeing image stabilisation systems in pocket cameras,
for
example) there is some justification. This would then leave
rec.photo.digital with three sub-groups

- slr-systems (interchangeable lens cameras)
- fixed lens (the existing point+shoot and zlr)
- rangefinder

It is this idea that I was suggesting for discussion, so I'll cross-post
it to the ZLR group as well.

First, the procedure for creating/removing/renaming groups is
currently on hold pending redevelopment. Any discussion or potential
reorganization at this point is premature.

Second, r.p.d.rangefinder is pretty much dead at the moment.

It sure is.

Third, I'm not sure that throwing point+shoot and zlr together would
be beneficial. Some zlr users would fit better with the slr group.

If I was reorganizing the hierarchy right now, I might go with two
groups something like:

r.p.d.automatic (point+shoot, and zlr/slr in fully auto mode)
r.p.d.manual (zlr/slr/etc in a mode with manual control of at least
one major setting)

Or maybe:

r.p.d.macro
r.p.d.portrait
r.p.d.action
r.p.d.postproc
etc.

I don't think, in general, that it's a good idea to name the groups
after a technology in the camera that might be obsolete in 5-10
years. A functional breakdown should stand the test of time.

Agreed. We have RPD as a catch-all. We will need, for some time, forums for
DSLR types and P&S types. I'd think that those two sub-groups should serve
for a decent interval. I'd vote for 3 groups: Digital, P&S, DSLRs. I know,
the problem with P&S is in its demeaning connotations. A more clever name
is in order.