Small idiot proof camera recommendations?

Old December 3rd 04, 04:27 PM
William Regan

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I've tentively decided on the
Canon S410. It turns out that my choices are somewhat limited because
I have the original verrsion of Windows 98. The Nikon Coolpix, Canon
SD200/SD300 and others require at least Windows 98Second Edition.
I'd like to give my wife another choice.
Any other suggesstions for a Win98 compatible camera?

Thanks,
Bill

(Paul W. Ross) wrote in message . com...
My son has a nice Pentax which can be run "Point and Shoot," or with
other features. I have an Olympus C-5000 that when run in "auto" mode
is quite simple. My wife, who has used film cameras, picked up on the
basics of the digital Olympus in about 10 minutes. Easy to experiment,
etc., thus learning is much easier. Only problem she had was "poking"
the shutter button before the autofocus had time to lock on.

Old December 3rd 04, 10:40 PM
Roland Karlsson

Bill wrote in :

Any other suggesstions for a Win98 compatible camera?

Any USB camera should work fine...you just won't get the faster transfer
rates of v2, that's all.

This might not be true. For some cameras you need drivers.
But ... you can always get an W98 compatible flash card reader.

/Roland
Old December 4th 04, 08:53 AM
Ed Light

My Fuji A205 was $110 and will install for Win 98. I'm using it in Win XP so
can't tell you from experience how that goes.

It has beautiful colors and sharpness. 3x optical zoom. Macro mode is
phenomenal. Does tiny little movies at 10 frames per second.

Here are some pics from it (but don't link to them please). They are
software sharpened. However, if they weren't pretty sharp to begin with they
would have become crinkly when sharpened.
http://www.speedflash.net/nwp/arcata2004may/index.htm

When you view the originals full-screen, it's just like being there.

Looks like the A330 for $150 is what they're making now that's equivalent. I
just checked the manual at fujifilm.com and it still supports Win 98. I
think it's 3 megapixels.

You'll probably want a larger memory card unless you shoot at 640. I see a
Fuji 128mb one for $40 postpaid at newegg.com. I got an Olympus card which
is fine, a little less $.

One thing, maybe it's not simple enough for you. You can download the manual
or look at it online and see. It's a pdf.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 4th 04, 08:59 AM
Ed Light

PS I don't recommend using the digital zoom (on any camera). I stop when I
get to the end of the 3x optical and just crop it afterwards. If you're on
hi-res you can still have lots of picture after cropping.

Re the Fuji, it's pretty good at focusing through glass, but if there's rain
on it then it will depend on how close to the glass you are.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 4th 04, 03:35 PM
Roland Karlsson

Bill wrote in :

We're not talking about drivers, just compatibility with Windows.

Most if not all USB cameras will need drivers of some kind in Windows
95B through to 2000. Win XP comes with PTP support built-in, so you
don't need drivers, but you can install them if you wish.

Oh yes we are talking drivers. Some cameras looks just lika a
portable disk. Then it would be no problems. Just get generic
drivers an plug it in. Some cameras have their own interface.
Then you need specific drivers, that probably not are available
for Win98.

/Roland
Old December 4th 04, 11:31 PM
Ed Light

"Bill" wrote
I seriously doubt a camera that works in SE would fail to work in 98.

If you find a model, then you've found the a rare thing.

Maybe, though I've seen it in other hardware more than once.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 6th 04, 11:12 PM
Alan Browne

William Regan wrote:

My wife has a Canon ELPH APS camera that thankfully died recently.
She wanted another APS but I have convinced her to go digital. She
liked the APS camera because it was really small and she thought it
was cool looking.

What would be a good small digital camera that would be easy to use?
She doesn't need lots of features and options, just idiot proof point
and shoot with zoom.

How small is the idiot?

Last night at my SO's office x-mas party, a lady had a wonderful Sony
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsct1.asp P&S. I shot a few
frames with it and I hope I get to see how well it did with those shots.

Seemed exceedingly easy to operate, had a focus asist light. Her son (about 6
yrs old) was using it too and was running aroung showing what he had shot.
Great display. Small camera.

Cheers,
Alan

Old December 7th 04, 03:58 PM
Roland Karlsson

Bill wrote in :

I seriously doubt a camera that works in SE would fail to work in 98.

Whats SE?

/Roland
Old December 7th 04, 08:15 PM
Roland Karlsson

Lenroc wrote in
news
Bill wrote in :

I seriously doubt a camera that works in SE would fail to work in 98.

Whats SE?

Refers to Windows 98 Second Edition.

OK - I then rephrase my earlier mail to include all
Win9x os:es, including ME and SE. Sorry - it was
some years ago that I touched the non NT stuff -
so I was sloppy regarding naming.

BTW - I recommend anyone meddling with photo stuff
to upgrade to NT - e.g. 2000 or XP. So much more
stable and useful.

/Roland