Canon USB connector: unique?

Old December 8th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default Canon USB connector: unique?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:17:14 -0800 (PST), Charles Packer
wrote:

So I got my newly purchased used Canon 20D home and
discovered that my Olympus USB cable doesn't fit its
connector. On Pricegrabbers.com...

http://tinyurl.com/5kfobc

I find that the cable will cost me $15, a little less
than 5% of what I paid for the camera...Is its USB
receptacle unique to Canon? If not, there might be a
cheaper alternative if I knew how to look for it.

I had a Canon P&S (since given to my son because his crapped out) and
a Nikon dslr. They each have a different USB cable fitting, but I
picked up a $5 card reader and used neither cable.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 8th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

So I got my newly purchased used Canon 20D home and
discovered that my Olympus USB cable doesn't fit its
connector. On Pricegrabbers.com...

http://tinyurl.com/5kfobc

I find that the cable will cost me $15, a little less
than 5% of what I paid for the camera...Is its USB
receptacle unique to Canon? If not, there might be a
cheaper alternative if I knew how to look for it.

I had a Canon P&S (since given to my son because his crapped out) and
a Nikon dslr. They each have a different USB cable fitting, but I
picked up a $5 card reader and used neither cable.

My 20D's input socket is the same as a card reader that I have, so it's
not uncommon. I use the camera directly with the computer only when
shooting tethered, or when entering data to the camera, never downloading.

As Tony suggests, a card reader is very useful, but you'll also want the
right connection for the camera itself. If you live in the SF Bay area,
I could give you one.

--
john mcwilliams