Polaroid x530 w/Foveon sensor will ship - finally.

Old February 26th 05, 10:05 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
You've obviously never used a Foveon sensor camera or have seen the
photos.

That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

Old February 26th 05, 10:49 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article , says...
That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

You're right. I'm firing my team of writers right now.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Old February 27th 05, 10:11 PM
Roland Karlsson

The PhAnToM wrote:
Can someone again summarize why the lingering hatred of Foveon?
Thanks.

There is not hatered for Foveon IMHO.
Just sound technical criticism. The
Fovoen based cameras do not deliver
what they promise. The competition
is much better.

This is a pity really. We need competing
technologies toget rapid advancemants.

/Roland
Old February 28th 05, 05:04 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , Peter A. Stavrakoglou

snip

And, they're outrageously priced for what they are.

I came across an eBay listing for an SD10. It's been re-listed twice after
the original listing, and g-d knows why he didn't take the $1000 offer, in
the first listing, and run, since he didn't even get as high an offer in the
second listing as he did in the first.

B&H's used department would likely offer about $650 for the lot, and sell it
for around $1300, with some sort of a guarantee, so $900-1000 would be a
fair eBay price. I hope that his reserve price isn't the same as the "Buy
It Now" price! Used equipment of any genre doesn't fetch much more than 60%
of the new price, usually closer to 50%. People look at what they paid for
something, and figure that they are entitled to get 75% of what they paid
back when they sell it used.

Old March 1st 05, 11:42 AM
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Used equipment of any genre doesn't fetch much more than 60%
of the new price, usually closer to 50%. People look at what they paid for
something, and figure that they are entitled to get 75% of what they paid
back when they sell it used.

You'll probably find that ('any genre') to be untrue in a couple
of cases:
- items old enough to have quite some historical value
- collectors' items no longer freely available
- well-treated, undamaged items of high quality workmanship ---
while you probably won't make any money, you can get much closer
to a break even. I hear-tell Canon L lenses are in that class.

-Wolfgang
Old March 1st 05, 04:41 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Used equipment of any genre doesn't fetch much more than 60%
of the new price, usually closer to 50%. People look at what they paid

for
something, and figure that they are entitled to get 75% of what they

paid
back when they sell it used.

You'll probably find that ('any genre') to be untrue in a couple
of cases:
- items old enough to have quite some historical value
- collectors' items no longer freely available
- well-treated, undamaged items of high quality workmanship ---
while you probably won't make any money, you can get much closer
to a break even. I hear-tell Canon L lenses are in that class.

Yes, you're right, I should have noted that. I was thinking about rare items
being an exception when I wrote that post, but I didn't include it. I didn't
know that about Canon L lenses, but it makes sense.

Old March 1st 05, 07:21 PM
Ron Krebs

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
You've obviously never used a Foveon sensor camera or have seen the
photos.

That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

Ahhh yes, George/Georgette. The sexually ambiguous Foveon flag-waver. Now.
I remember that name. Couldn't find it because it was in my killfile. Oh
well, I guess there's another name to add now.

Ron

Old March 1st 05, 11:22 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Ron Krebs" wrote in message

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
You've obviously never used a Foveon sensor camera or have seen the
photos.

That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

Ahhh yes, George/Georgette. The sexually ambiguous Foveon flag-waver.
Now.
I remember that name. Couldn't find it because it was in my killfile. Oh
well, I guess there's another name to add now.

Ron

Please add me to your kill file list if you want. There's no need to read
my posts if you choose not to.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
ittsy

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , ittsy
wrote:

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

Just what the photographic world needs...more junky hardware.

It will still be interesting to read the technical reviews.

If it has the Polaroid name attached and uses Foveon
technology...really...who cares at this point?

Obviously a number of people, including Phil of DP Review. That doesn't
mean that we are interested in buying it though.

Rose Parchen