Nature Pictures

Old January 10th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default Nature Pictures

Hello,

I just finished designing a new site called http://www.forestwander.com
and am interested in what the photohraphy community thinks about it.

I am just an amateur getting started so please don't be to harsh. I
think that some folks may appreciate these pictures I have on here.

By the way I am looking for anew camera has anyone used or heard of how
one of these perform? Canon S2 IS Digital Camera??

Thanks

Old January 12th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

I just wanted you to know that I really like your website.

I'm bookmarking it and will visit again very soon. I especially liked
your quote from How Great Thou Art.

I still use the Nikon Coolpix 8700 so can't help you with your query on
the Canon S2 IS

Photog

* * * * *
Join us at the Cafe!
http://photography-cafe.com

Old January 12th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

"Photog" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just wanted you to know that I really like your website.

Funny, most people didn't on other NGs. Just being honest here but the
quality of the images is terrible and not very well composed and exposed. I
suspect many didn't utilise a tripod in their making?
The layout is plain and simple which isn't a bad thing but it is quite old
in its styling. There is nothing to impact on getting people to buy
anything, least of all the images themselves.

I'm bookmarking it and will visit again very soon.

If you look up to poor work, you'll never achieve better than poor yourself.

Old January 12th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

wrote:

Hello,

I just finished designing a new site called
http://www.forestwander.com
and am interested in what the photohraphy community thinks about it.

I am just an amateur getting started so please don't be to harsh. I
think that some folks may appreciate these pictures I have on here.

By the way I am looking for anew camera has anyone used or heard of how
one of these perform? Canon S2 IS Digital Camera??

Thanks

Look at other websites for design ideas. Yours is a little static.

It's also a bit repetitious in some places, seven images in a row of
almost the same scene (top of page 4); nine skylines (page 3) with very
little variation.

Pick the best and make it a larger image, then link to the others as
alternatives.

Let the images speak for themselves. The font is too small and the text
doesn't do much for the images, yet it's the primary feature on the page.

Also include a link on the larger image page to move from one image to
the next or back to the page where the thumbnails are located.
Old January 13th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Thank you for the nice comment about the site and than you for your
honesty.

I shot all of the photos with a Canon A50 1 Mega pixel camera

You probably have not heard of one of those. Well that is because it is
about 6 years old.

The good news is the Good Lord allowed me to recently purchase a New
Canon 350d rebel

Which should be a dramatic improvement. Need less to say I will be
composing more photos this year beginning with winter shots this late
winter (once some snow finally falls) and then other shots throughout
the seasons.

Again thanks for the comments. Positive or Negative.

Old January 14th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

"Forest Wanderer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you for the nice comment about the site and than you for your
honesty.

No problem, all comments I make I do so with complete honesty with no
disrespect for the recipient.

I shot all of the photos with a Canon A50 1 Mega pixel camera

This explains a lot.

You probably have not heard of one of those. Well that is because it is
about 6 years old.

The good news is the Good Lord allowed me to recently purchase a New
Canon 350d rebel

You will do a heck of a lot better with that camera. Glad to hear of your
purchase. It will make a massive quality improvement!

Which should be a dramatic improvement. Need less to say I will be
composing more photos this year beginning with winter shots this late
winter (once some snow finally falls) and then other shots throughout
the seasons.

Just remember the slogan, "Keep it simple stupid", as it works very well for
most photography abd I use it all the time when looking at any scene or
subject I want to capture.
The other rule is that of "thirds". It is probably the most important part
of basic photographic technique. Keep out irrelevant material from an image
that detracts from the subject. Keep out "noise" from the image that makes
the image lose impact. Make sure the colours are pleasing to the eye and
try and capture the essence of why you visited a place or studied a subject,
whether flower, insect or animal. Then you will do well and people will
want to buy what you have to share with them. Good luck.
Seriously, buy yourself a book or two on nature photography. I invested in
a few of John Shaw's books which I highly recommend to be able to learn the
basics of composition and exposure.

cheers
Jasen

Old January 20th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

great photos whish i could do that, i might be able to if i had been to
a place like that, you luck, great job. i am also a new photographer
please check out my website.

www.the-photo-place.piczo.com

Old January 20th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

wrote in message
oups.com...
great photos whish i could do that, i might be able to if i had been to
a place like that, you luck, great job. i am also a new photographer
please check out my website.

www.the-photo-place.piczo.com

Ok, you need to learn quite a lot about how to take an interesting photo.
I'm no pro but I have sold and been pubished and my style of photography was
learnt through short courses and reading photography books such as John
Shaw's nature photography series of books for instance.
Unfortunately the images you have on your site are lacking colour, sharpness
and interesting composition styles. You can read about how to take a good
simple photo by looking up such site via Google.
Here's a sample of my photos:
http://www.photographersplace.com/pi...mber=Jasen1970

Old January 20th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Ok, you need to learn quite a lot about how to take an interesting photo.

Jasen, did you not notice Joe's age? Perhaps a little more
encouragement eh? Your photo's aren't exactly ground-breaking in
composition themselves (though I love the butterfly on the nose!), and
'being honest' is not a justification of unbalanced criticism.

I like your website Joe. I think the in-your-face way you've presented
your portfolio goes really well with the sense of jungle chaos I get
from your pictures. It's all a bit mad - I like that. Good job mate

Anyone who thinks a photo needs to be in focus to be any good should
look at http://www.toycamera.com. Obviously this sort of artistic angle
wouldn't be appropriate for a lot of nature photography, but maybe
chilling out about the technical side of things would open up new
opportunities for evoking a broader range of emotions than awe at
nature. Anybody have any examples of nature photography that's weird?
freaky? funny? bizarre? Sure, nature photography is classically about
themes of beauty, simplicity, peace, eternity, awe, but this can be a
comfy human viewpoint. For creatures living out there, nature is full
of constant change and upheaval, fear and hunger, redness of tooth and
claw. It's a jungle out there. And one which is even more unnerving
when it's not in focus.

Cheers, Phil

Old January 20th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sorry, no I didn't..am tired. As I said, I'm no pro, but I do have a point.