No more Velvia

Old March 1st 05, 04:54 PM
Chadwick

Default No more Velvia

I just read in Amateur Photographer that Fuji are to permanently cease
production of Velvia 50 in a year's time. Apparently they can't get one
of the magic ingredients.

There will be an ISO 100 replacement (not to be confused with the
already existing 100F) which will have all the saturation of Velvia 50.

Charlie Waite (UK landscape pro) says he knows of people who will buy
up =A35000 of the outgoing 50 and freeze it.

Old March 1st 05, 05:19 PM
Alan Browne

Chadwick wrote:

I just read in Amateur Photographer that Fuji are to permanently cease
production of Velvia 50 in a year's time. Apparently they can't get one
of the magic ingredients.

There will be an ISO 100 replacement (not to be confused with the
already existing 100F) which will have all the saturation of Velvia 50.

Charlie Waite (UK landscape pro) says he knows of people who will buy
up £5000 of the outgoing 50 and freeze it.

Film is already frozen up to well over 50 deg C. You mean cold store.

I'll probably buy a couple bricks myself and store as cold as reasonably
possible (in a deep freezer). I shoot about 5 rolls of Velvia 50 a year, so a
couple bricks will last many years...

One rule of thumb (and probably more myth than fact) is that for every 10°C
below fridge temp, the storage life of unexposed slide film is doubled. So at
-17°C the storage life would be something on the order of 10 years.

OTOH, the new 100F is pretty good, and the 100 should be very close to the
classic in color and grain. Probably not worth getting too worked up over
conserving the classic version.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 1st 05, 05:22 PM
Chris Brown

In article . com,
Chadwick wrote:
I just read in Amateur Photographer that Fuji are to permanently cease
production of Velvia 50 in a year's time. Apparently they can't get one
of the magic ingredients.

Not Sudan-1, by any chance? ;-)
Old March 1st 05, 05:28 PM
Chris Brown

Alan Browne wrote:

OTOH, the new 100F is pretty good,

I find Velvia 100F to be a pain in the neck for scanning (due to its
contrast) in a way that Velvia 50 and Provia 100F aren't, so I tend to steer
clear of it. Looking forward to trying Velvia 100 though.
Old March 1st 05, 05:31 PM
Owamanga

On 1 Mar 2005 07:54:59 -0800, "Chadwick"
wrote:

I just read in Amateur Photographer that Fuji are to permanently cease
production of Velvia 50 in a year's time. Apparently they can't get one
of the magic ingredients.

There will be an ISO 100 replacement (not to be confused with the
already existing 100F) which will have all the saturation of Velvia 50.

Charlie Waite (UK landscape pro) says he knows of people who will buy
up £5000 of the outgoing 50 and freeze it.

Is it also true that they are going to call the new 100 version
'Cartoonia' to avoid confusion with the 100F?

Owamanga!

Old March 1st 05, 05:47 PM
Alan Browne

Chris Brown wrote:

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

OTOH, the new 100F is pretty good,

I find Velvia 100F to be a pain in the neck for scanning (due to its
contrast) in a way that Velvia 50 and Provia 100F aren't, so I tend to steer
clear of it. Looking forward to trying Velvia 100 though.

It is contrasty, but I don't find it very different in scanning than Provia 100F.

Old March 1st 05, 07:24 PM
Chadwick

Alan Browne wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
Charlie Waite (UK landscape pro) says he knows of people who will

buy
up =A35000 of the outgoing 50 and freeze it.

Film is already frozen up to well over 50 deg C. You mean cold

store.
One rule of thumb (and probably more myth than fact) is that for

every 10=B0C
below fridge temp, the storage life of unexposed slide film is

doubled. So at
-17=B0C the storage life would be something on the order of 10 years.

Maybe I did mean frozen then?
I was just quoting what the magazine said.

It'll be interesting to see what replaces it. Currently you flick
through a magazine and nearly all the shots (especially landscapes) are
on Velvia 50. I've been thinking about trying it, and only put off by
the fact that it is a transparency film and I have zero equipment to
handle transparancies. But I've just got a new scanner that can take
them, so maybe I'll take the plunge.

Velvia indoors? Celeste G Film & Labs 11 December 14th 04 02:05 PM
Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 10:58 AM
Velvia 100F dan Film & Labs 2 June 29th 04 09:47 PM
velvia 100F [question] dan 35mm Photo Equipment 6 June 28th 04 03:46 AM
5 Megapixels vs Velvia vs Kodachrome + Microscope Views Roger and Cathy Musgrove Film & Labs 0 October 12th 03 02:16 AM