|GG| Pictures in airplane cabins

Old May 16th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default |GG| Pictures in airplane cabins

Shawn wrote:
All:

I would like to take picture in airplane cabins.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&g...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Some flights are red-eye, and I would like to use a fast lens to take
first/business class pictures.

Which of the following lenses sould I use?

http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/nikon

A fisheye might work nicely in that setting. Even a 16mm on DX. If you
keep people in the middle, they'll look fine and architectural stuff in
the corners may look more natural since it's all curved anyways.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ch_h/2146430853/

For a Hollywood movie, they might cut one side off the airplane and use
a longer lens - more realistically maybe you could jam the camera off
deep in a corner on a tripod or one of those mini pods with a clamp and
a timer.

Just some thoughts...
Old May 17th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , Paul Furman paul-
@-edgehill.net writes
For a Hollywood movie, they might cut one side off the airplane and use
a longer lens -

They use a film set not an aeroplane.

more realistically maybe you could jam the camera off deep in a corner
on a tripod or one of those mini pods with a clamp and a timer.

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.

The first thing you need is 3rd party insurance to cover accidents.
Then you need permission from the airline and passengers.

I know no one bothers when it is a p&S or a camera-phone and 99% of
terrorists would use this approach but people notice when you do
something out of the norm like use a "professional" camera.

Also the aircraft is private property and I think you will find that you
are subjected to a very long list of conditions of travel that the
airline could impose or enforce if they wanted to. The catch 22 is as
soon as you object to any of these rules you become "a disturbance" and
automatically guilty.

Also I suspect that many in first and business class will want peace,
quiet and privacy.

Old May 17th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MC[_3_]

Chris H wrote:

In message , Paul Furman
paul- @-edgehill.net writes
For a Hollywood movie, they might cut one side off the airplane and
use a longer lens -

They use a film set not an aeroplane.

more realistically maybe you could jam the camera off deep in a
corner on a tripod or one of those mini pods with a clamp and a
timer.

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.

I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Also I suspect that many in first and business class will want peace,
quiet and privacy.

Unless you are booked into either of these cabins it is very unlikely
you will be welcome in the first place. You will be asked to leave.

MC
Old May 17th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.

I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

Old May 17th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MC[_3_]

Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.

I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

All over the world, several times a year. Mainly longhaul.

MC
Old May 17th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.
I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

All over the world, several times a year. Mainly longhaul.

Ok... I am surprised they let you do it. I am used to European short
haul flights.

Old May 17th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MC[_3_]

Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC

writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.
I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

All over the world, several times a year. Mainly longhaul.

Ok... I am surprised they let you do it. I am used to European short
haul flights.

Depends on the airline maybe. The airlines I have mainly flown with
recently have been BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Emirates...

MC
Old May 17th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"MC" wrote in message
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC

writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what happens.
I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

All over the world, several times a year. Mainly longhaul.

Ok... I am surprised they let you do it. I am used to European short
haul flights.

Depends on the airline maybe. The airlines I have mainly flown with
recently have been BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Emirates...

MC

Nothing to do with the airline and everything to do with the security
personnel. Went BA London/Venice with tripod IN my back pack, no problem.
Came home Milan/London on BA as well and the security people confiscated it.
Luckily it was small and cheap.

Old May 18th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MC[_3_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

In message , MC
writes
Chris H wrote:

You try taking a tripod onto most aircraft and see what

happens. I do. Quite often, strapped under my bag.

Where do you fly?

All over the world, several times a year. Mainly longhaul.

Ok... I am surprised they let you do it. I am used to European
short haul flights.

Depends on the airline maybe. The airlines I have mainly flown with
recently have been BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Emirates...

MC

Nothing to do with the airline and everything to do with the security
personnel. Went BA London/Venice with tripod IN my back pack, no
problem. Came home Milan/London on BA as well and the security people
confiscated it. Luckily it was small and cheap.

The only time they questioned it was once in T3 LHR about 4 yrs ago on
my way to. That was when it was in my bag and they wanted me to take it
out and put it through the xray machine on it's own. I now have it
strapped to the underside of my bag, which is now smaller, where it can
be seen and has not raised an eyebrow since.

MC
Old May 18th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MC[_3_]

MC wrote:

Tut...

.... on my way to UAE.