Steady hold for a P&S

Old April 19th 13, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Meyer

Default Steady hold for a P&S

I've got one of those very small P&S "travel zoom" cameras (Panasonic
ZS-9) with up to 16:1 optical zoom. The big challenge in getting sharp
photos with high zoom is holding the camera steady. It doesn't help
that the camera is small and light with little weight to damp
vibrations, or that it has a strap attachment point on only one side, or
that its only viewing mechanism is the LCD display on the back that must
be held a foot or more from your eyes to see the picture. And of course
being an old guy with shaky hands is probably worst of all.

I'm thinking about buying a walking stick monopod (any suggestions?) but
I also believe that good hand holding technique makes a big difference
in cutting down the vibrations.

The best thing I've come up with so far is to hold up my left hand
limply in front of my face with the palm facing me. Instead of grasping
the camera with my left hand, I rest it on the top. By not actually
holding the camera with my fingers and thumb the small muscles in
fingers and thumb are relaxed and not involved in supporting the camera.
Then I use as little pressure as I can with the right hand to press
the shutter release. The camera is secured from falling by the neck
strap, so there won't be any serious accidents this way and I've gotten
much better results than I did when I tried to hold it tight.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone particularly recommend a monopod that can double as a
walking stick and fold for airline travel?

Thanks.

Alan
Old April 19th 13, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:19:10 -0400, Alan Meyer wrote:

[...]

I use an upward pressing with the left hand and a downward
press with right hand on the shutter, seem to have very little
camera shake this way.

Does anyone particularly recommend a monopod that can double as a
walking stick and fold for airline travel?

I think some hiking sticks are made like that, the secret to using a
monopod is to use it as a third leg of a triangle, your two feet
being the other legs.

Old April 19th 13, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.04.19 15:19 , Alan Meyer wrote:
I've got one of those very small P&S "travel zoom" cameras (Panasonic
ZS-9) with up to 16:1 optical zoom. The big challenge in getting sharp
photos with high zoom is holding the camera steady. It doesn't help
that the camera is small and light with little weight to damp
vibrations,

It's a myth that weight dampens vibrations for hand holding. Weight
means your muscles have to work more. And the more you have to hold the
weight away from your body, the more work you have to do to keep it
steady. Lighter is better.

or that it has a strap attachment point on only one side, or
that its only viewing mechanism is the LCD display on the back that must
be held a foot or more from your eyes to see the picture. And of course
being an old guy with shaky hands is probably worst of all.

I'm thinking about buying a walking stick monopod (any suggestions?) but
I also believe that good hand holding technique makes a big difference
in cutting down the vibrations.

Go to a sporting goods store that has lots of hiking/camping gear.

In the meantime, try to:

-increase the ISO setting
-open op the aperture

to force a higher shutter speed - esp. when the zoom is way out there.

The best thing I've come up with so far is to hold up my left hand
limply in front of my face with the palm facing me. Instead of grasping
the camera with my left hand, I rest it on the top. By not actually
holding the camera with my fingers and thumb the small muscles in
fingers and thumb are relaxed and not involved in supporting the camera.
Then I use as little pressure as I can with the right hand to press
the shutter release. The camera is secured from falling by the neck
strap, so there won't be any serious accidents this way and I've gotten
much better results than I did when I tried to hold it tight.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone particularly recommend a monopod that can double as a
walking stick and fold for airline travel?

They all fold (telescope) to a reasonable lengtgh, but I'm not sure
they'll allow a monopod in the cabin.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old April 19th 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Alan Meyer wrote:
[...]

Hi,

If you are shooting a still object, then try setting the selftimer for
ca. 10 seconds. Then you can steady the camera with 2 hands without any
shake due to your releasing the shutter manually.

Mort Linder
Old April 20th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Meyer

On 04/19/2013 04:11 PM, Irwell wrote:

I use an upward pressing with the left hand and a downward
press with right hand on the shutter, seem to have very little
camera shake this way.

That's an interesting idea. I'll experiment with it.

... the secret to using a
monopod is to use it as a third leg of a triangle, your two feet
being the other legs.

Makes sense. Getting a monopod isn't the end of the story. I guess
you've got to practice and experiment with it to get the best stability
you can.

Thanks.

Alan

Old April 20th 13, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Meyer

On 04/19/2013 04:52 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

It's a myth that weight dampens vibrations for hand holding. Weight
means your muscles have to work more. And the more you have to hold the
weight away from your body, the more work you have to do to keep it
steady. Lighter is better.

I see your point about making the muscles work more. If the camera is
too heavy the muscles are going to twitch.

Technically, of course, I should have used the term "mass" rather than
weight. Mass really does damp vibrations. The amount of energy
required to overcome the inertia of an object with very little mass is
very little, and proportionally more for an object with a lot of mass.
Similarly, the same amount of energy put into a massive object and a
lighter object results in more rapid movement in the light object. It's
a directly inverse relationship based on E = (mv^2)/2.

This is a factor in the solidity of heavy tripods over light ones -
though it's not the only one.

But, as you point out, there is a limit to what can be gained by
increasing the weight.

In the meantime, try to:

-increase the ISO setting
-open op the aperture

to force a higher shutter speed - esp. when the zoom is way out there.

Yes. Trading off higher noise and lower depth for less camera shake can
often produce a superior image.

Thanks.

Alan
Old April 20th 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-19 12:19:10 -0700, Alan Meyer said:

[...]

A non-tripod solution which can help steady a camera, is to attach a
length of cord or strap to an appropriately sized bolt or tripod mount
to screw into the camera's tripod mount. I would suggest something such
as the BlackRapid "fastnr" fitting, and add to that their "connectr".
http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-stealth
http://www.blackrapid.com/products/connectr
Then take a length of strap or cord of sufficient length (either a long
loop or a single length) that you have a loop at the bottom which you
can put the toe of one of your feet into. Now if you bring the camera
up to your face, or if you keep your elbows into your side bringing the
strap/cord under tension you will have a make-shift brace to help
steady your shot. Not always fool proof, but some folks have found this
type of thing helpful.

Then Amazon has a fair selection of mono-pods, and walking sticks with
camera mounts.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k...M4N45PRYY73CFN

or
http://tinyurl.com/d7zdlkj

Here are a few things to check:
http://www.sederquist.com/clabrace.html

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...isnt-possible/

Savageduck

Old April 20th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gregz

Alan Meyer wrote:
[...]

Some people seem to be in tele mode. I don't use tele much, but regardless,
when necessary I try to lean up against something, or rest my arms on
something, mostly for low light. I sometimes use a mini pod.

Greg
Old April 20th 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Does anyone particularly recommend a monopod that can double as a
walking stick and fold for airline travel?

They all fold (telescope) to a reasonable lengtgh, but I'm not sure
they'll allow a monopod in the cabin.

monopods and tripods are not prohibited for carry on.

however, the tsa can always change their mind on a whim, 'out of an
abundance of caution.'
Old April 20th 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

"gregz" wrote in message
Alan Meyer wrote:
[...]

If you don't mind looking a little silly, and it suits the subject,
there is something to be said for the "top-of-the-arc" technique. Swing
the camera into position and fire it before your hands have a chance to
shake.

--
Frank ess