More questions about digitizing slides

Old August 27th 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

Default More questions about digitizing slides

"Ryan McGinnis" wrote in message

On 8/26/2010 10:29 AM, Peter wrote:
W, FlickrPro costs around $30 a year and has unlimited storage.

One of my criteria is that the site support disabling of the right click.

Why would this matter? You can upload photos set to "private" and you
can set access paramaters rather easily for known family.

Because my personal preference is to permit unrestricted viewing. Yes, I
know almost any system can be hacked, but a right click disable feature
would just make it a little more difficult. I am one of those people who
lock my house and car.

--
Peter

Old August 27th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ryan McGinnis" wrote in message

On 8/26/2010 10:32 AM, Peter wrote:

Its' not hard, just tedious.
Besides, it will keep his mom busy with a useful project. I don't
consider that a bad thing.

Depends on how you define "hard" -- some moms would figure it out rather
quickly (mine would), others... well, lets just say that I deal with a
lot of people who need my help to show them how to delete photos off of
their P&S SD card. The kind of people who can't figure out that
pressing the trash can button and then pressing yes will delete your
photos for you probably won't figure out how to run a Nikon Coolscan.

I agree with what you say. My wife, who is a pretty intelligent person, was
never able to figure out how to use the VCR. I read the OP as looking for a
project for his mother.

For an interesting, to me, article on the subject of interface design see:
http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi...eryday-things/

There are tons of other articles on mental blocks and the phenomena you
describe.
Also, people form different cultures will react differently to the same
interface.

--
Peter

Old August 27th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ollie Clark

Peter wrote:

Because my personal preference is to permit unrestricted viewing.

If you allow unrestricted viewing then you've automatically allowed
unrestricted downloading. How do you think the browser displays your
images?

Yes, I
know almost any system can be hacked, but a right click disable feature
would just make it a little more difficult. I am one of those people who
lock my house and car.

Disabling right click is more akin to closing your door and putting up
a sign up saying "Please don't come through my unlocked door and steal
the valuables inside".

Only a complete fool wouldn't be able to break the "security".
Old August 27th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ollie Clark" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

Because my personal preference is to permit unrestricted viewing.

If you allow unrestricted viewing then you've automatically allowed
unrestricted downloading. How do you think the browser displays your
images?

I know more about that subject you think I do.

Yes, I
know almost any system can be hacked, but a right click disable feature
would just make it a little more difficult. I am one of those people who
lock my house and car.

Disabling right click is more akin to closing your door and putting up
a sign up saying "Please don't come through my unlocked door and steal
the valuables inside".

Only a complete fool wouldn't be able to break the "security".

There are a lot of fools in this world.

You can get into my house by smashing a window, cutting the burglar alarm
wire, stealing everything and running out before the cops get here. So!
There are websites where that feature is in place. As I said, it just makes
things a little more difficult.
There is also Flash and PowerPoint with save disabled.

--
Peter

Old August 27th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Ollie Clark wrote:
Peter wrote:

Because my personal preference is to permit unrestricted viewing.

If you allow unrestricted viewing then you've automatically allowed
unrestricted downloading. How do you think the browser displays your
images?

Yes, I
know almost any system can be hacked, but a right click disable
feature would just make it a little more difficult. I am one of
those people who lock my house and car.

Disabling right click is more akin to closing your door and putting
up a sign up saying "Please don't come through my unlocked door and
steal the valuables inside".

Only a complete fool wouldn't be able to break the "security".

Yes, I guess I am: I wouldn't be able to, not because I don't know
how, but because I'm inhibited by my respect for the wishes of those
who are kind enough to put their images in places I can see them, but
don't want me to download them.

--
Frank ess

Old August 27th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter
wrote:

Because my personal preference is to permit unrestricted viewing.

If you allow unrestricted viewing then you've automatically allowed
unrestricted downloading. How do you think the browser displays your
images?

I know more about that subject you think I do.

not based on what you've written.

Yes, I
know almost any system can be hacked, but a right click disable feature
would just make it a little more difficult. I am one of those people who
lock my house and car.

Disabling right click is more akin to closing your door and putting up
a sign up saying "Please don't come through my unlocked door and steal
the valuables inside".

Only a complete fool wouldn't be able to break the "security".

There are a lot of fools in this world.

they're not the ones you have to worry about.

You can get into my house by smashing a window, cutting the burglar alarm
wire, stealing everything and running out before the cops get here. So!
There are websites where that feature is in place. As I said, it just makes
things a little more difficult.

it only makes it slightly more difficult. there are various plugins
that disable such nonsense automatically, plus it's also a denial of
service because anything that inhibits the right-click contextual menu
blocks every other function in that menu, such as opening a link in a
new tab or window or to copy the link for later use.

There is also Flash and PowerPoint with save disabled.

that's also trivial to circumvent and not everyone can see flash or
powerpoint anyway. worst case, just take a screenshot.

the fact remains that anyone who wants the photos *will* get them no
matter what you do, and the people who have no interest in stealing
them have to put up with crap that blocks them from using their
computer the way they want to.
Old August 27th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Frank ess" wrote in message

Ollie Clark wrote:
Peter wrote:

[...]

Common courtesy, thank you.

A good lock keeps honest people honest. (paraphrased from Robert Frost)

--
Peter

Old August 27th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Peter
wrote:

[...]

Just when did I ever say it couldn't be done?

--
Peter

Old August 28th 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter
wrote:

Just when did I ever say it couldn't be done?

you didn't. my point is that the people who want to steal images will
and the rest are going to be annoyed by anything you do.
Old August 28th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:36:06 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"Frank ess" wrote in message
m...

Ollie Clark wrote:
Peter wrote:

[...]

That's quite an extensive paraphrase. Only one word of Frost's line
in "Mending Wall" remains.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida