Amateur Sport Photo Competition with prize

Old August 22nd 07, 02:47 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default Amateur Sport Photo Competition with prize

On Aug 22, 12:50 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

On Aug 22, 12:03 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

No, so much to do my day job, so much to put out press releases, so much
to write the depression article a lot of people found useful and so much
to do the camera tests I'm doing at the moment. Oh and I forgot, do some
art, be president of school council and be a parent and husband.

But I see you have 24/7 to be an idiot. I base this on your willingness
to be rude to someone whose competitions you try entering.

I was about to commend you for what you do until I read that last
paragraph. Are all you Aussies so thin-skinned?

================

And your images will be judged like all the rest, on the quality of your
images, not the idiot who took them.

As if I had a chance to "win" anyway. I know you aren't gonna pick me
as the winner. The shipping of the prize would cost you more than the
prize is worth.
I was just interested to see what others came up with. As a shill
for your website you should know the value of the publicity that I
could help bring to your site. And now you had to go and **** that
up. Your loss.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with you or your website. I
enjoy looking at some of the pics from your photo competitions. Some
people might think you are spamming the newsgroups, but I don't. My
only problem is when you make a statement and can't deliver on it.
Two weeks ago you wrote, " The winner and finalists of the July Macro
competition will be up in the next couple of days."

Time flies when you're havin fun.

Old August 22nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Wayne J. Cosshall

The prize is shipped directly from the sponsor, so in this case from the US.

No, us Aussies aren't all so thin skinned but the crap I get from people
with more mouth than brains gets to me sometimes.

If so supportive why call me a shill? You started it, I've just reacted.

As for the delay, who has suffered from it? I decided to do other
things. They'll be up before the end of the month.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Photography and Art Forums http://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

Old August 22nd 07, 09:44 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

I believe you demean yourself and your efforts by responding here to
such whiny bleats. If you must reply, take it off-line.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Frank ess

Old August 22nd 07, 11:40 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Aug 22, 4:19 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:

If so supportive why call me a shill?

Webster defines a "shill" as a spokesperson or a promoter.
Isn't that exactly what you are doing with the links to your website?
When Canon announces a new product you don't post a link to Canon's
website announcing the new product. You post a link to the Canon
announcement on YOUR website.
Someone called you a Canon shill and I joked that you were really a
Nikon shill (after the series you ran on the D80 Noise Reduction ...
yawn). That was a joke. You aren't a Nikon shill or a Canon shill.
But you certainly are a shill for your website.

Nothing wrong with being a shill.
I've been called a lot worse. Recently.

As for the delay, who has suffered from it?

I have. I haven't slept in like days.

Old August 22nd 07, 11:47 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D_Mac

Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/

wrote:

[...]

Some sheep eat grass. Some find eternal life in clothes... Others just
get eaten! Wayne has been making money from plagiarizing "news"
articles from photographic equipment vendors via his web site for a
couple of years now. I think it's only fair someone ought to question
his motives for doing it.

No Journalist - Ex or otherwise has any right - ethical or moral - to
use a newsgroup for profit without getting flak from those who want it
kept free of commercial interests. Every click to his site produces
advertising he gets paid to put in your face. If Wayne posted a link
to the "News item," he plagiarizes from the original web site, he
wouldn't make any money. As it is, he really needs to put his house in
order before he starts calling his "customers" idiots.

That's all he's about, making money from "click through" advertising.
He's gotten away with for long enough. How he's done it, is an amazing
feat of deception in the first place. By absolute definition, he is
spamming the newsgroups. I'm sure a complaint to his ISP, listing his
plethora of newsgroup spam - all pointing to plagiarized posts, he'd
pretty soon have no Internet access and his site's perceived
"popularity" would revert back to the zero- rating it deserves.

Doug

Old August 23rd 07, 12:55 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Wayne J. Cosshall

Do you enjoy being a moron or what, because little in your statements
are true?

Press releases are sent out so people will publish them. End of story.
It is in the PR companies' interests for this to happen. I plagarise
nothing. I put press releases up for those who are interested and label
them as such, so they know it is straight from the companies' PR agency.
I write original content as well, as that is not labelled as such.
I only post press release announcements when I seem to have got it
before others and for products that seem particularly interesting. Lots
of other press releases go up on my site unannounced.

I earn absolutely nothing from people visiting the site, as such. So you
can go read articles, download RAW files, whatever and I earn nothing.
If someone clicks on a Google ad then yes I do, but no one has to, and
it ONLY happens if someone actually clicks on an ad. If someone buys off
of Amazon from following one of my ads, I earn. The small ads on the
home page are the same, only a commission if someone buys from it. That
is it. You can use the site all you want and I earn NOTHING. Before you
make supid statements learn the truth.

I only post article announcements on relevant lists. By Annika's
definition that makes me a shill for my own site. I don't spam lists
with announcements that are not relevant, nor am I promoting something
you have to pay for. It is all for free if you want. Personally I think
I behave far more morally and fairly than those who like to bag and get
stuck into someone who actually does something. It is really easy to
just waggle your mouth or tap away on a keyboard rather than actually
contribute something that is, at least to many people, a useful site
that is free to use. Do I want people to go to my site? Of course I do.
Do I wish I got enough activity on the ads to actually pay for the time
I put into it? Sure I do. I am neither a communist nor independently
wealthy. If DIMi was done purely as a business I would have shut it down
long ago.

I do not believe it is possible to win on the net. I've had people tell
me I should have no ads at all and make my money off of running
workshops. I've had the moderator of the Yahoo Olympus list tell me I
can't post about my competitions because it will confuse his members (he
runs a no prize competition each month) and that I am commercial because
of the google ads on my site, yet his site which he points to on the
list also has google ads. I get labelled a spammer yet what I post is
relevant and free. There is so much that everyone skips over on lists
(unless all you do is read and write and never shoot photos) yet some
people seem unable to do that with my lists.

If people have a philosophical view that the usenet is only for free
stuff then fine. The stuff on my site is free. Completely. There are no
fees to enter competitions, there was no fee to enter the World of
Photography physical exhibition I mounted last year and there is no fee
to read the articles on the site, mine or press releases. So what free
use rule have I violated? I have gone out and organised prizes for
competitions people on the list have emailed me asking for. Similarly I
have gone a reviewed stuff when asked. I even spent a week researching
and then setting up some appropriate forums so people could post pics in
with their posts to get direct feedback on art. I must be incredibly
stupid because I just don't get it.

Annika, sorry, but your comment came after a number of other attacks,
both on and off list, and I had had enough. You copped it (don't know if
that phrase translates into American).

Now off to do more unpaid work - 40x reviews, a whole bunch of software
reviews, and get the macro competition online.

Cheers,

Wayne

Old August 23rd 07, 01:52 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Aug 22, 7:02 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

As a general rule, when one has to post links on Usenet in such a fashion to
shill their business this is a clear indication that they have already
totally failed. Advertising your business on Usenet is beyond foolishness,
especially if you have to depend on click throughs. So sad.

Rita

The guy calls me an idiot and within 24 hours I've got my two biggest
online adversaries ragging his ass. Now I ask you .....

WHO RULES ???

Old August 23rd 07, 02:39 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Aug 22, 8:52 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
On Aug 22, 7:02 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

As a general rule, when one has to post links on Usenet in such a fashion to
shill their business this is a clear indication that they have already
totally failed. Advertising your business on Usenet is beyond foolishness,
especially if you have to depend on click throughs. So sad.

Rita

The guy calls me an idiot and within 24 hours I've got my two biggest
online adversaries ragging his ass. Now I ask you .....

WHO RULES ???

"The guy calls me an idiot and within 24 hours I've got my two biggest
online adversaries ragging his ass."

Yeah! What's up with that?!
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was
Helen........wait........I"M Helen!!

Old August 23rd 07, 06:41 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D_Mac

On Aug 23, 9:55 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
[...]

Well Wayne... I'm calling your a plagiarist and a liar. Your site is
full of other people's writings and it's a 100% commercial site that
contains some information you promote as being free. Your rendition of
it being a free information site is an absolute lie.

Not only that but you thumb your nose at every convention related to
Usenet. Convention has it that a 3 line sig is a courtesy. Four line
sig's go mostly un-noticed too but yours? FIVE LINES ...all of them
advertising your site AND... You're a bloody top poster to boot!.

http://www.dimagemaker.com/store.php Tell me this where I get all the
*FREE* stuff your site is all about. You are actively selling cameras
and books from a shopping cart on it. You simply can't get any more
commercial than that mate yet you would have us all believe you're
doing it all out of the goodness of your heart. My site is free too.
http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com Anyone is free to visit
and it doesn't cost them a cent. I have this site so I can sell my
photography packages but unlike you, I don't come up with a load of
bull**** about the site not being commercial just because I give out
some *FREE* information too.

Tell me again now Wayne, how self righteous you are with your generous
slaving away for the good of humanity, with your *FREE* to use web
site. Tell me how you don't cut and paste information from
manufacturer's in creating your excuse for camera "tests" and I'll
post the links to 6 articles you plagiarized the content for. I took
you to task a few months ago for the subterfuge you tried to pass off
as a legitimate printer comparison.

Trying to compare a full blown $6000 ++ commercial printer to a $2500
desktop model from a different maker. What was that about? Did you get
a free HP printer and decided to heap **** on Epson's consumer printer
because they wouldn't give you one or what? Not only did you try to
make out you were a credible tester but when it came to comparing the
output, you had no method or equipment to measure it with! Was that a
press release too?

Your bull**** now, in trying to pass yourself of as providing a *free*
service for people is laughable in the extreme. You jokers hosting
Photo competitions to get people to your site are the real idiots.
Convince some supplier into providing a prize with the promise of
publicity and then you can't be bothered seeing it through to the
judging.

How pathetic is it then to claim you're busy doing yet more free work
which somehow became more important than the original free work of
getting photographers to come to your site?

Murderer's and child molesters who admit they are just that, have more
credibility that someone who trys to make out they are doing a free
service for the community but direct you to a commercial web site full
of ads and links to your own on-line store. Then you've got the gall
to call someone who questions you an idiot. Looked in the mirror
lately mate?

Doug.