How to remove diamond pattern from scanned image

Old April 24th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnotherAmateur

Default How to remove diamond pattern from scanned image

I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

Old April 24th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
embee

"AnotherAmateur" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

Gotta hate those old textured prints :-) This book has a useful technique
for tackling the problem:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Re.../dp/0321316274

Old April 24th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"AnotherAmateur" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

There are ways of minimizing it but you will never get rid of it and have a
useful image. I suggest you get used to it and in fact make it a "artsy" and
"creative" thing. Of course it would be best if we could go back in time and
shoot the person that thought this was a good idea and put and end to the
whole problem that way. But, until we have a time traveling delorian
available, just grin and bare it.

=(8)

Old April 24th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

AnotherAmateur wrote

Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?

Filter-Noise-Median

Although this is a fairly coarse interference and the results are
a bit blocky.

Chris

Old April 24th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

AnotherAmateur wrote:
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

The problem is called 'moire pattern'. If your scanner has a
'descreening' option, turn it on. There are other approaches, but this
seems to be the simplest to use.
Old April 24th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Ron Hunter wrote:
AnotherAmateur wrote:
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

The problem is called 'moire pattern'. If your scanner has a
'descreening' option, turn it on. There are other approaches, but this
seems to be the simplest to use.

Paint Shop Pro has a Moire pattern removal tool. Does
Photoshop have it?
Old April 24th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
AnotherAmateur wrote:
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

The problem is called 'moire pattern'. If your scanner has a
'descreening' option, turn it on. There are other approaches, but this
seems to be the simplest to use.

That is NOT moiré pattern. Moiré pattern comes from scanning something that
was printed using halftone patterns. Photographs DO NOT use halftone
patterns. You will get moiré scanning something from a magazine or book but
never a Photograph. What is person has is texture photographic paper very
popular in the 1970's and before.

And, as stated there is no way to remove it without screwing up the photo.
Just accept it and consider it retro.

=(8)

Old April 24th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ronald Wong

In article ,
"embee" wrote:

"AnotherAmateur" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm scanning old photos, and some of these photos have a very heavy
diamond pattern (please see image link).
http://www.hali.org/imageProblem.jpg
Does anyone know how I might be able to eliminate this pattern from
the image using Photoshop?
Thanks in advance!
-Jim

Gotta hate those old textured prints :-) This book has a useful technique
for tackling the problem:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Re...Matter/dp/0321
316274

Katrin Eismann's book is well worth buying. Sooner or later, you'll be
glad you bought it. All the techniques she brings up regarding the
restoration and retouching of digital images can be tried out using the
materials/images she's posted on her website specifically for this book.

Amazingly enough, Sams Publishing put a sample chapter of her book on
the web ("Dust, Mold, and Texture Removal") and one of the sections
addresses Jim's problem:

http://www.samspublishing.com/articl...&seqNum=5&rl=1

Note: the enlarged image of the "Before" (Figure 5.46) at the above
website doesn't seem to show any texture when viewed on a monitor but
it's quite apparent in the book.

Ron - Who has no connection whatsoever with Ms. Eismann or New Riders
publishing but is glad he bought her book at one time.
Old April 24th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

=(8) wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
AnotherAmateur wrote:
[...]

I'm going to suggest something that is off the wall, but it might
possibly work if the problem is actually caused by textured paper. Here
goes: take one of the pictures and get it soaking wet--not damp, but
w-e-t. place it on the scanner immediately and try scanning it using
different settings, including a setting for half-tone; although it isn't
a half-tone, the same correction might work.

Actually, I think the easiest solution would be to forget about scanning
and photograph them, using the highest resolution that you have. The
only downside to rephotographing with a digital camera is a little bit
of battery life.

Good luck.
Allen
Old April 24th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Allen wrote:
=(8) wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
AnotherAmateur wrote:
[...]

OOPS! I forgot about something. Don't soak any pictures that might have
been retouched. No telling what might happen. Also, on copying using a
camera--that might be one case where on-camera flash could be a
blessing; the old rule of two lights, each at 45 degrees to the surface,
would emphasize the texture.
Allen
Allen