Demise of Kodachrome 200?

Old March 13th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Demise of Kodachrome 200?

"Tony Polson" wrote

If there is no longer a Kodak lab in Lausanne, I wonder why I have to
pay air mail postage to Switzerland when Kodak UK could forward it to
the USA instead?

I imagine Kodak has an airline fly an air cargo container back and
forth. Lusanne is probably a bad place to ship from but maybe
the Swiss post office interprets 'Box 1001' as 'forward to
ABC Air Cargo, Zurich Flughafen'. There is a billing arrangement
between Kodak and Dwayne's wherein Dwayne's only takes Kodak
processing mailers if they come via Kodak.

Probably there isn't enough volume to warrant a separate UK-USA
shipment and as Kodak isn't the one paying the postage to
CH then why not CH. When the slides come back were they remailed
from CH or UK?

Now, what airline flies to Parsons Kansas?
http://www.downtownparsons.com/gallery/index.htm

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Kodachrome processing at Dwayne's is higher quality than Kodak/
Qualex was able to deliver: If you want something done right then
Kansas is a good place to get it done.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation/index.htm

Old March 13th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

[...]

So many mysteries, and they were all answered in one post!

Thanks Nicholas. Much appreciated.

Old March 13th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Toni Nikkanen

Tony Polson writes:

If there is no longer a Kodak lab in Lausanne, I wonder why I have to
pay air mail postage to Switzerland when Kodak UK could forward it to
the USA instead?

Maybe you don't have to - I hear some people in Finland send their Kodachromes
to Kodak Finland, which takes care of shipping and developing from there
onwards. Could work in your country, too.

Old March 14th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Robert" wrote:

On Mar 12, 2:35 pm, Tony Polson wrote:
Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Tony Polson writes:

I think a closure date for the lab in Switzerland has already been
announced, although it is still operating at this time. That will
leave just one lab in the USA.

Wasn't the lab in Switzerland already closed last autumn?

I received three sets of slides from the Swiss lab in this morning's
mail, so I have an inkling that it might still be open. g

The Lausanne box 1001 is just a postal address now They fly your
film to the USA, process it, and fly it back again. . The style of
mounts changed from plastic to cardboard at the time of the closure.

Thanks for that, Robert. That certainly explains the card mounts.

If there is no longer a Kodak lab in Lausanne, I wonder why I have to
pay air mail postage to Switzerland when Kodak UK could forward it to
the USA instead? I am using large amounts of Kodachrome and the cost
of air mail from the UK to Switzerland is high - not helped by the
fact that there is some confusion over the correct rate of postage.

My local guy sends the stuff to Dwayne's photo in Parsons, Kansas.....Here
is a link, in case you want to try sending it there yourself.....
http://www.k14movies.com/

Old March 14th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Weinstein

On 2007-03-13 14:31:20 -0400, Tony Polson said:

"gowanoh" wrote:

In any event the "look" of classic slide films can be reproduced in digital
prints better than it would have ever been seen in wet prints made from
transparencies.

There is no way of reproducing the qualities of Cibachrome
(Ilfochrome) printing using inkjet printers.

Agreed. And there is no way to project digitals. Rememer, Kodacrhomes
are slides and slides are projectable.

Old March 14th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Weinstein

On 2007-03-13 10:51:33 -0400, Pudentame said:

TheDave© wrote:
I read that Kodachrome 200 has been effectively discontinued, but that
Kodak isn't making any official announcements. Is this rumour, or
pretty much known fact?

If it's true, and 64 is the only version left, what would be the
long-term potential for developing is one were to stockpile a bunch of
rolls?

I'd be interested in buying some and tossing it in the freezer. I
don't use it alot, but I do like it and would like to have some
available.

AFAIK, there's only one lab left that processes Kodachrome. You should
be in good shape as long as it doesn't go out of business.

OTOH, I still have one Kodachrome64 cartridge left in 110 format, and
one 36 exposure roll of Kodachrome25, so there's now effectively a
small private museum of film history in the back of my freezer.

Ah, but do you have Kodachrome 10 (process K10 or K11 as I recall,
probably K10) continuously frozen since it was discontinued when
Kodachrome II (later renamed Kodachrome 25) was introduced around 1961?
That would be something. And that was the Kodachrome that Paul Simon
wrote about.

Old March 14th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

Now, what airline flies to Parsons Kansas?
http://www.downtownparsons.com/gallery/index.htm

Probably none, but DHL does make overnight deliveries there.
Old March 14th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Michael Weinstein wrote:
Ah, but do you have Kodachrome 10 (process K10 or K11 as I recall,
probably K10) continuously frozen since it was discontinued when
Kodachrome II (later renamed Kodachrome 25) was introduced around 1961?
That would be something. And that was the Kodachrome that Paul Simon
wrote about.

Since he was born in 1941, you may be correct, but since Kodachrome was
released in 1973, and he refers to a "Nikon camera", I doubt it.

Nikon did not become well known until the Vietnam war (1966-1967 time frame).

I assume if you knew him you could ask, but I don't.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old March 14th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

Tony Polson writes:

If there is no longer a Kodak lab in Lausanne, I wonder why I have to
pay air mail postage to Switzerland when Kodak UK could forward it to
the USA instead?

Maybe you don't have to - I hear some people in Finland send their Kodachromes
to Kodak Finland, which takes care of shipping and developing from there
onwards. Could work in your country, too.

I have contacted Kodak UK and they have advised me that I must use the
Lausanne address. There is no service in the UK that compares with
yours in Finland, alas.

Old March 14th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"William Graham" wrote:

My local guy sends the stuff to Dwayne's photo in Parsons, Kansas.....Here
is a link, in case you want to try sending it there yourself.....
http://www.k14movies.com/

Thanks William.

Unfortunately, because Kodachrome is sold in Europe with processing
included in the price, I have no option but to send it where Kodak
tells me.

So I send it to Kodak SA, Switzerland, and apparently they ship it to
Dwayne's photo in Parsons, Kansas for processing ...