Another plastic body bites the dust

Old September 16th 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Another plastic body bites the dust

On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA said:

The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

Does that mean you might actually buy one?

Savageduck

Old September 16th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA said:

The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

Does that mean you might actually buy one?

There is a better chance of me winning the New York Marathon

--
Peter

Old September 17th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, RichA said:

The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

Does that mean you might actually buy one?

There is a better chance of me winning the New York Marathon

I have entered several New York Marathons. All built by the Checker
Motors Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 17th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

Old September 17th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Me

On 17/09/2010 3:55 a.m., Bruce wrote:
On Sep 16, 12:20 am,
On 2010-09-15 20:53:59 -0700, said:

The Nikon D90 becomes the D7000, body goes from plastic to metal.

Does that mean you might actually buy one?

I don't know. I have a D300. It would have to be a substantial step-
up.

It is, but a D300 replacement is coming, as is a D700 replacement.
Perhaps not in 2010, but certainly within a year from now. In the
meantime, the D7000 is a step up from the D300 only in resolution
(16.2 MP versus 12.3 MP) and in video capability (1080P versus none).
I suspect video isn't all that important to you if you use a D300, so
there is only the resolution, and that might be complicated by greater
noise. The D300 has particularly low noise for an APS-C sensor so we
will have to see whether the D7000 has taken a step backwards due to
cramming almost 4 million more pixels into the same area.

It appears that latest Nikon sensors may not involve Sony at all - geeks
looking at the chips can't identify things which identified the
D90/300/s sensors as Sony production, even if Nikon design.
I doubt this sensor will be a step backwards in any way, and especially
in read noise / base ISO DR, where Nikon have been excelling -
particularly kicking Canon's butt on pattern noise.