The Nikon D90 is dead. Long live the Nikon D7000!

Old September 15th 10, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bobwilliams

Default The Nikon D90 is dead. Long live the Nikon D7000!

Bruce wrote:
The Nikon D90 replacement is here!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2upd63v
or:
http://www.photographybay.com/2010/09/15/nikon-d7000/

The D7000 features a 16.2MP sensor, a 39-point AF system and a large
sensitivity range covering ISO 100-25,600. Additionally, the D7000
can capture 1080p HD video at 24 fps, or 720p video at either 24 or 30
fps.

The Nikon D7000 should be available in October 2010 at an initial
retail price of $1199.95.

Several years ago when compact P/S cameras were shooting video pics,
serious DSLR users ridiculed the feature as a fun novelty, but with no
real place in a top notch DSLR.
Now most, if not all, modern DSLRs are touting movies as a "must have"
feature.
Bob Williams
Old September 15th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

bobwilliams wrote:

Several years ago when compact P/S cameras were shooting video pics,
serious DSLR users ridiculed the feature as a fun novelty, but with no
real place in a top notch DSLR.
Now most, if not all, modern DSLRs are touting movies as a "must have"
feature.

Everyone who is a SLR shooter already has all the DSLRs they'll
ever need. Who's left? P&S shooters. They demand video.
Even if they cannot use it properly (they have no focus pullers
available) and would be better served with a conventional home
user video camera.

Additionally, independent video producers love that stuff: they
got the technology to use DSLR-video (see focus puller etc)
and can buy 10 DSLRs + their special gear instead of a single
'professional' camera with less lens choice and a less light
sensitive, much smaller sensor.

That's why video is rated 'must have' by marketing.

-Wolfgang
Old September 16th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:39:41 -0700, bobwilliams
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The Nikon D90 replacement is here!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2upd63v
or:
http://www.photographybay.com/2010/09/15/nikon-d7000/

The D7000 features a 16.2MP sensor, a 39-point AF system and a large
sensitivity range covering ISO 100-25,600. Additionally, the D7000
can capture 1080p HD video at 24 fps, or 720p video at either 24 or 30
fps.

The Nikon D7000 should be available in October 2010 at an initial
retail price of $1199.95.

Several years ago when compact P/S cameras were shooting video pics,
serious DSLR users ridiculed the feature as a fun novelty, but with no
real place in a top notch DSLR.
Now most, if not all, modern DSLRs are touting movies as a "must have"
feature.
Bob Williams

Some of us still see it as a novelty. I have 2 DSLRs, both with 1080p
video, but neither has shot a single second of video. Just because
it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old September 16th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

wrote:

Bruce wrote:
[...]

You might be missing out on something. 1080p and all that beautiful
glass was why I bought a 5dii. Then I got a Steadicam Merlin to sit it
on. The results, within the limitations round pulling focus, are
stunning. Using conventional video gear, I'd need to spend $BIGNUM for
the same result. (before getting a truck to lug it round)

Along the way, I rekindled my boyhood interest in still photography.

Shooting video and taking photographs is fun, but the real fun is
editing the video and processing the stills.

Today it was reinforced by having a large format inkjet parked at my
place 'cause its owner ran out of room at his. I have just wrassled its
software to the ground and printed the largest, most vibrant and most
detailed print I have ever printed. That's me as happy as a pig in
****!

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248