is it wise to buy a DSLR now?

Old May 26th 04, 09:49 PM
as

Default is it wise to buy a DSLR now?

as title

Old May 27th 04, 07:49 AM
K. Bibis

depends what to use it for.

Are you an amateur ? a proffesional ?
I guess an amateur.
For me i think it's not yet time for DSLR. Too expensive.
The Top film camera EOS 1V can bebought for about £1100. The top DSLR is
around £6000.

And if you spend that huge amoubnt of money now, you know for sure this
model will be obsolete in 12 months and you will be looking at selling it at
a decent price in order to upgrade. You will also need big fast storge
cards, a ast PC, with lots of storage space.
It may be argued that Digital saves money on film+processing but forces you
to upgrade software and harware every now and then. Digital SLRs lose their
value the same day a rumor for a successor model is out. HAve alook to see
ho many people are trying to sell their CAnon EOS D30s and D60s which they
bought 2 years ago.

Just a thought....

"as" wrote in message ...
as title

Old May 27th 04, 10:33 AM
hyena

thanks for your replies.
I think i will work on my old SLR for some other years.

"as" wrote in message ...
as title

Old May 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Randall Ainsworth

And if you spend that huge amoubnt of money now, you know for sure this
model will be obsolete in 12 months and you will be looking at selling it at
a decent price in order to upgrade. You will also need big fast storge
cards, a ast PC, with lots of storage space.

I bought my 10D at this time last year and it's not obsolete.
Old May 28th 04, 02:26 AM
steve

Never mind the price you pay for the camera body -- good quality glass
will cost more (in total) than the body after you collect a few lenses.

Even if they give the bodies away free the glass will still cost quite a
bit.

Buy a dslr that uses lenses that will be usable for a long time to come
and use and enjoy your toys.

as wrote:
as title

Old May 28th 04, 10:58 PM
Jim Hutchison

On Thu, 27 May 2004 04:49:16 +0800, "as" wrote:

as title

If you like B+W, get into developing your own film.

From opening the film canister to scanning and printing my favorites
negs is 2 hours.

Something to think about. And it's cheap cheap.

jim h

http://www.jamesphotography.ca

-free downloads
-scanning service

Even a bit of humour...
Old May 30th 04, 09:10 PM
Joe Sacher

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:58:46 GMT, Jim Hutchison wrote:
If you like B+W, get into developing your own film.

From opening the film canister to scanning and printing my favorites
negs is 2 hours.

Something to think about. And it's cheap cheap.

From putting my memory card into the computer, to desatuaring in
Photoshop, to printing is 2 minutes. Something to think about.

And it's cheap cheap (for the negatives...) Printing is a little more
expensive.
Old May 31st 04, 08:51 PM
dh

Considering how fast technology advances, I would say that it is. You can
get last years model (of any camera/brand) at a great price, and still have
a great quality camera.

"as" wrote in message ...
as title

Old June 7th 04, 12:40 AM
Jonquale

Why wait to buy? Buy right now, or the time will never be right. While
you're waiting for the perfect camera to come along, you're losing valuable
shooting time waiting for that camera. Time that cannot be recovered. That
shooting time you're missing is also practice time, time to perfect your
techniques, or develop your own personal style. Remember, Mighty KC, of
baseball poetry? He was waiting for the perfect ball to come along so he
could hit a home run. First ball came along..strike! Second ball came
along..strike! Third ball came along..strike three...you're out. Don't wait
for the perfect camera to come along. Take action.
"K. Bibis" wrote in message
[...]

"as" wrote in message ...
as title

Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor. Orville Wright 35mm Photo Equipment 99 June 29th 04 10:05 AM
Why go dSLR? Bob Digital Photography 69 June 27th 04 07:22 PM
Dont get a DSLR! Bob Digital Photography 0 June 23rd 04 10:58 PM
A little off, D70 DSLR and Nikkor Glass Ray Paseur Medium Format Photography Equipment 4 June 7th 04 08:53 PM
Owners of Contax 645 or Hasselblad H1, Would Any Rather Get a Digital Back Than a Canon/Nikon DSLR? Einton Newstein Medium Format Photography Equipment 5 April 3rd 04 04:20 PM