DUST: Does this rule out buying DSLR's?

Old February 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Can P&S get dust on sensor?

"Jim F B" wrote in message ...
I have been reading the review of the Sony DSC-R1 on Ken Rockwell's site
http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/dsc-r1.htm

and I see that the conclusion is that you are better off with a real DSLR
like the Canons or the Nikon D50. But it has always been the potential
DUST problem that has put me off DSLRs.

The advantage of the Sony DSC-R1 is that it has DSLR quality 10MP photos
and a fixed lense, so I guess this pretty well eliminates the dust
problem? One site that discusses the dust problem is he

http://photography.about.com/library.../aa122903a.htm

I know of only one DSLR that advertises that it has "solved" the dust
problem. This is the Olympus E-300 DSLR, which has an innovative way of
preventing dust entering an SLR when swapping lenses, etc. Apparently, a
supersonic wave filter generates very high speed vibrations to remove the
dust from the CCD. The dust is captured on a special adhesive panel inside
the body. This function operates fully automatically at start-up, but it
is also possible to activate it manually.

I wondered if any users of DSLRs could comment on whether the dust problem
is significant enough to rule out buying a DSLR and thus go for a fixed
lense 10MP quality camera like the Sony DSC-R1 instead? Also, does the
dust system employed on the Olympus E-300 work well? If it does, would the
E-300 be the best bet in DSLRs if you are concerned about the dust
problem?

Thanks for your advice

Jim F B

I've yet to see this addressed, but can a P&S get dust on the sensor? I mean
really, you have this lens that moves in and out, so the volume of air in
the camera has to change, right? So, what is prevent these cameras from
having the same problems? Of course, if they did, I don't wanna tackle the
disassembly to clean one!

Old February 16th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default DUST: Does this rule out buying DSLR's?

Jim F B wrote:
I wondered if any users of DSLRs could comment on whether the dust problem
is significant enough to rule out buying a DSLR

Good god no.

Dust happens on the sensor, just as it happens on the outer element of
your lenses. When it accumulates enough to be a problem, simply clean
it - the Internet is full of advice on how to do this properly. If you
are extremely cautious (or, like me, have no depth perception owing to
a malfunctioning eye), simply take a bulb blower and blow with abandon.
That tends to spread the dust around, I know, but it removes any
blotches in the image.

I shoot a lot in dusty places (wildlife parks, while offroading in the
Himalayas, Africa, etc) and dust has never been a problem.

Cameras are tools, meant to be used.

Vandit

Old February 16th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jim F B" writes:

I have been reading the review of the Sony DSC-R1 on Ken Rockwell's site
http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/dsc-r1.htm

and I see that the conclusion is that you are better off with a real DSLR
like the Canons or the Nikon D50. But it has always been the potential DUST
problem that has put me off DSLRs.

Dust is a non-issue. I've cleaned my sensor twice since the end of
2002, and spent a few minutes cloning dust spots out of a couple of
photos -- less time than I spend cloning dust spots out of any single
film scan I've ever made. And cleaning the sensor isn't hard, either,
just a bit scary especially the first time.

Oh; and I change lenses freely and without worrying about dust, it's
not that I keep one lens on all the time or anything. I behave just
like I did with film cameras (I was a little careful, but not really anal).
Old February 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Does this rule out buying DSLR's?

Since I have a new Rebel XT, I am thinking of making a dust free box, with a
pressurised intake that has a media filter to filter out dust. Wonder how
well it would work?
Something with pexiglass sides?
Ideas anyone?

Old February 16th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Denton wrote:
Since I have a new Rebel XT, I am thinking of making a dust free box, with a
pressurised intake that has a media filter to filter out dust. Wonder how
well it would work?
Something with pexiglass sides?
Ideas anyone?

Yes. Fergeddaboudit. Way OoT.

--

John McWilliams
Old February 16th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

John A. Stovall wrote:
If you aren't competent to clean a dSLR's sensor then you shouldn't
buy one.

That's a bit of overkill, innit?

Vandit

Old February 16th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , says...
[...]

It really depends on the inherant lazyness of the person using the
camera.

I have found that under bad conditions (REALLY DUSTY AIR) the DSLR may
need 10 to 20 seconds of maintenance each time you change the lens.. To
use a bulb blower to clear out the system.... An MAYBE, just Maybe two
or three minutes once in a while for a more complete cleaning, actually
cleaning the sensor takes a minute or two, and is VERY easy unless you
are so klutzy as to not be able to hold anything for a moment without
dropping it.

I hesitated to buy a DSLR for 2 years because of the stories I'de heard
about dust problems.

That just means I missed 2 years of better photos than I was getting for
that time.

You are far more likely to get something in your eyer that requires a
Surgeon to remove while taking photos, than you are to have any damage
done to your DSLR by dust.

Even the Olympus cameras that clean the sensors when switched on STILL
need the mirrors and view finders cleaned, just as every SLR camera Ive
owned, and there have been MANY since 1959 when I took up photography.
The cleaner DOES do a fine job on the sensor though..

I own both kinds (self cleaning and normal DSLR) as well as many
digicams.. They all need more work keeping the outside clean than
anything else.

Dust is not an issue... the issue is lazyness and stupidity, re-enforced
by rumor, made up stories, and outright lies.

Larry Lynch
Mystic, CT.