on this page film wins

Old September 15th 04, 06:39 PM
Tony

Your B/W negatives will only be found if they still exist. I can tell you
the chances of that are probably no higher than 10%. Without someone to take
care of them, they will be destroyed. If there is a flood, they will be
destroyed, if there is a fire, they will be destroyed, if the humidity gets
to high, they will be destroyed, if the pollution gets too bad they will be
destoryed, if someone throws away a file cabinet without looking inside,
they will be destroyed, if someone looks inside and says "what is this old
crap doing here in a perfectly usable cabinet that will hold my entire
baseball card collection," they will be destroyed.
The surest chance of having your pictures last 100 years is to put them
in digital files and give them out to family and friends - then hope someone
cares enough about them when you are gone to take care of them - or they
will be lost.
If you have a lot of pictures of places that don't exist any longer,
contact your local historical society. My home town society will soon be
getting a stack of prints and two CDs of shots I took in the 60s and 70s.
Eventually they will get the stuff I shot in the 80s and 90s. As a
historical society they are more interested in preserving old pictures that
do not include Aunt Frisbee than your family would be.
I won't get into the fact that most people throw the negatives away when
they get the prints back from the drugstore. Or that fact that no more than
2% of all pictures shot are worth printing.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"DWR" wrote in message
news6T1d.14989$%O5.9833@trnddc07...
The problem with digital media is that it is not human readable. A
photograph is a historical document. In 2104 my b & w negatives can and
will be found by someone. If compact flash, a hard drive ect, is found in
2104 it will be thrown in the trash. Only about 10% of digital images are
printed as photographs. What are you leaving for future generations? When
you go your images go with you. This is sad.