SD card comparative speeds

Old May 30th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default SD card comparative speeds

I have some 'Kingston Elite Pro 50x' 2GB SD cards and am struggling to
get a definitive answer on whether they are faster or slower than SDHC
Class 6 cards.

Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've not been able to get a clear
answer from Kingston.

Old May 30th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 30/05/2010 21:22, F wrote:
I have some 'Kingston Elite Pro 50x' 2GB SD cards and am struggling to
get a definitive answer on whether they are faster or slower than SDHC
Class 6 cards.

Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've not been able to get a clear
answer from Kingston.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Class 6 is the new name of 40x. The class number of more less the data
write rate in Mbytes/sec, whereas the NNx designation refers to the old
150KBytes/sec used for CD-ROM drives.

--
Bertrand
Old May 30th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 30/05/2010 20:39 Ofnuts wrote:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Thanks, I had seen that but had doubted my understanding as the 50x card
seems unable to record HD video on my Powershot SX1 at a fast enough
rate despite Canon specifying Class 6 cards.

Old May 31st 10, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Ofnuts wrote:
On 30/05/2010 21:22, F wrote:
I have some 'Kingston Elite Pro 50x' 2GB SD cards and am struggling to
get a definitive answer on whether they are faster or slower than SDHC
Class 6 cards.

Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've not been able to get a clear
answer from Kingston.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Class 6 is the new name of 40x. The class number of more less the data
write rate in Mbytes/sec, whereas the NNx designation refers to the old
150KBytes/sec used for CD-ROM drives.

Thanks for that link. It was very informative.
It cleared up a lot of ambiguities I had about Read / Write Speeds and
Class vs nnnX Speeds.
Bob Williams