Night works

Old July 27th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Hare-Scott

Default Night works

It's midnight, there is a heavy fog and the temperature is a fraction above
freezing and you have no power. No heat, no TV, no computer, you cannot
read by candlelight and your friends don't want a phone call. Going to bed
seems a good option - maybe the only option.

Except that the reason you have no power is that your transformer has blown
and the electric company is just outside the bedroom replacing it. They
have lots of heavy machinery and floodlights. Sleep is not possible. What
to do?

Of course - photograph them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujv1ujqknt9036f/ZjcKe7AxNW

After a while my fingers were too numb to feel the shutter button and I had
to quit.

David

Old July 27th 13, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

It's midnight, there is a heavy fog and the temperature is a fraction
above freezing and you have no power. No heat, no TV, no computer, you
cannot read by candlelight and your friends don't want a phone call.
Going to bed seems a good option - maybe the only option.

Except that the reason you have no power is that your transformer has
blown and the electric company is just outside the bedroom replacing
it. They have lots of heavy machinery and floodlights. Sleep is not
possible. What to do?

Of course - photograph them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujv1ujqknt9036f/ZjcKe7AxNW

After a while my fingers were too numb to feel the shutter button and I
had to quit.

David

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.
Old July 27th 13, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2013-07-27 03:24:48 +0000, David Hare-Scott said:

It's midnight, there is a heavy fog and the temperature is a fraction
above freezing and you have no power. No heat, no TV, no computer, you
cannot read by candlelight and your friends don't want a phone call.
Going to bed seems a good option - maybe the only option.

Except that the reason you have no power is that your transformer has
blown and the electric company is just outside the bedroom replacing
it. They have lots of heavy machinery and floodlights. Sleep is not
possible. What to do?

Of course - photograph them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujv1ujqknt9036f/ZjcKe7AxNW

After a while my fingers were too numb to feel the shutter button and I
had to quit.

David

The guy at the top of the cherry picker in the first photo looks either
like a robot or batman from a distance.
--
Michael

Old July 28th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Hare-Scott

On 2013-07-27 03:24:48 +0000, David Hare-Scott said:

It's midnight, there is a heavy fog and the temperature is a fraction
above freezing and you have no power. No heat, no TV, no computer,
you cannot read by candlelight and your friends don't want a phone
call. Going to bed seems a good option - maybe the only option.

Except that the reason you have no power is that your transformer has
blown and the electric company is just outside the bedroom replacing
it. They have lots of heavy machinery and floodlights. Sleep is not
possible. What to do?

Of course - photograph them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujv1ujqknt9036f/ZjcKe7AxNW

After a while my fingers were too numb to feel the shutter button
and I had to quit.

David

The guy at the top of the cherry picker in the first photo looks
either like a robot or batman from a distance.

If we are looking at #1 maybe you are composing shadows and bits of
equipment into a person. I think his head is behind the transformer. The
light shining out towards the left is from his helmet lamp. The yellow
between the pole and the transformer is I think the shoulder of his vest but
both vest and helmet are yellow so i could be wrong.

They didn't finish until 4am. The money is good, it would have to be. At
least it doesn't snow here.

Old July 28th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Hare-Scott

philo wrote:
It's midnight, there is a heavy fog and the temperature is a fraction
above freezing and you have no power. No heat, no TV, no computer,
you cannot read by candlelight and your friends don't want a phone
call. Going to bed seems a good option - maybe the only option.

Except that the reason you have no power is that your transformer has
blown and the electric company is just outside the bedroom replacing
it. They have lots of heavy machinery and floodlights. Sleep is not
possible. What to do?

Of course - photograph them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ujv1ujqknt9036f/ZjcKe7AxNW

After a while my fingers were too numb to feel the shutter button
and I had to quit.

David

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.

Nah, it was a line fault up the road that caused an overload. This is the
fourth replacement in 8 years, the others were lightning strikes.

Old July 28th 13, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

philo wrote:

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.

Nah, it was a line fault up the road that caused an overload. This is
the fourth replacement in 8 years, the others were lightning strikes.

A few years back there was a major power failure in my area which took
24+ hours to repair.

Turned out I could survive pretty well without power but the one thing I
could not (seemingly) live without was coffee...
so my wife and I had to go out for it.
Old July 28th 13, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-07-27 22:44:24 -0700, philo* said:

philo wrote:

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.

Nah, it was a line fault up the road that caused an overload. This is
the fourth replacement in 8 years, the others were lightning strikes.

A few years back there was a major power failure in my area which took
24+ hours to repair.

Turned out I could survive pretty well without power but the one thing
I could not (seemingly) live without was coffee...
so my wife and I had to go out for it.

Fortunately I have a gas stove/oven, and for extended power outages I
have had a pretty reliable Honda EU3000 generator for some 16 years. As
for coffee, having a "French press" handy is a quick and simple way to
brew a good cup with stovetop heated water.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...odels/eu3000is
http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop...-16/?navid=262

Savageduck

Old July 28th 13, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Hare-Scott

philo wrote:
philo wrote:

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.

Nah, it was a line fault up the road that caused an overload. This
is the fourth replacement in 8 years, the others were lightning
strikes. D

A few years back there was a major power failure in my area which took
24+ hours to repair.

Turned out I could survive pretty well without power but the one
thing I could not (seemingly) live without was coffee...
so my wife and I had to go out for it.

I have a few other limitations, no water and no sewerage disposal. How long
can you go without flushing the toilet.....

Getting slightly back on topic I was quite pleased how the new camera went
in those conditions.

Old July 28th 13, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 00:44:24 -0500, philo* wrote:

philo wrote:

Next time you take out a transformer for the purpose of getting some
photos maybe you'll want to do it in warmer weather.

Nah, it was a line fault up the road that caused an overload. This is
the fourth replacement in 8 years, the others were lightning strikes.

A few years back there was a major power failure in my area which took
24+ hours to repair.

Turned out I could survive pretty well without power but the one thing I
could not (seemingly) live without was coffee...
so my wife and I had to go out for it.

You poor things that have to live without power for a time period
measured in hours. Come to Florida where hurricanes will leave you
without power for days.

Our longest period time without power was five days. Coffee was made
on the propane grill with an old-fashioned percolator pot. Toilets
flushed with water taken from the swimming pool. (We have a well, so
no power means no water) We went to the YMCA every day for showers.
Refrigerator contents were taken to a friend's house, so not much was
lost there.

Lucky Floridians. Here in CT we were without power for a week a while
back. No swimming pool--it would have been frozen. No YMCA--trees down
blocking the roads.

Old July 29th 13, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 2013-07-27 22:44:24 -0700, philo said:

philo wrote:

[...]

I have the computers on industrial grade UPS'. as good as they are, a
coffee maker is a bit too much for them!