Samyang 24mm T/S

Old September 3rd 12, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default Samyang 24mm T/S

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/up...hift-lens.jpeg
This has my attention, no price (but it will probably be pretty cheap).
At a fraction of the price, one of these on a 24mp D600 (yes - I know -
it's "vapourware" as well) might easily make a Nikkor 24mm PC/E on a D3x
seem so... yesterday.
(both could also be abhorrent POS, but I doubt it)

Samyang can make some pretty decent optics:
http://tinyurl.com/samyang24TS
Old September 3rd 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
otter

On Sep 3, 4:34*pm, Me wrote:
http://photorumors.com/wp-content/up...ng-24mm-tilt-s...
This has my attention, no price (but it will probably be pretty cheap).
At a fraction of the price, one of these on a 24mp D600 (yes - I know -
it's "vapourware" as well) might easily make a Nikkor 24mm PC/E on a D3x
seem so... yesterday.
(both could also be abhorrent POS, but I doubt it)

Samyang can make some pretty decent optics:http://tinyurl.com/samyang24TS

Cool! Hope it happens.
Old September 7th 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 4/09/2012 10:21 a.m., otter wrote:
On Sep 3, 4:34 pm, Me wrote:
http://photorumors.com/wp-content/up...ng-24mm-tilt-s...
This has my attention, no price (but it will probably be pretty cheap).
At a fraction of the price, one of these on a 24mp D600 (yes - I know -
it's "vapourware" as well) might easily make a Nikkor 24mm PC/E on a D3x
seem so... yesterday.
(both could also be abhorrent POS, but I doubt it)

Samyang can make some pretty decent optics:http://tinyurl.com/samyang24TS

Cool! Hope it happens.

Now it's more than a rumour and leaked photo:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...ilt-shift-lens

"Tilt-Shift function in Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC allows for
smooth and individual adjustment of the focus plane angle by +/-8.5 and
enables parallel shift of the optical axis by +/-12 millimeters. To make
Tilt-Shift function even more seamless, both the lens mount as well as
Tilt-Shift section may be rotated on the optical axis. The Tilt-Shift
section may be rotated left by 90 degrees (with 30 degree adjustment),
while mount of the lens may be rotated both in left and right direction
by 90 degrees, also with 30 degree adjustment.

Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC will be available with mounts for Canon
EF, Nikon F, Pentax K and Sony A. We welcome everyone to visit us at
Photokina at our booth A025 in the hall 2.1."

It is a 35mm format lens.

No price yet. If it's okay, and the price is affordable, I expect this
could be a great success - there are probably a lot of photographers
like me who'd always wanted a T/S lens, but the entry point price was
high for something which may get occasional use.
Old September 7th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.07 18:26 , Me wrote:

[...]

Definitely something I would rent to play with. A project that I never
got around to was to rent a horseman and learn more about view/technical
camera shooting.

The above lens can give me a lot of that experience without the hassle
of film or carrying around a technical/view camera.

Samyang also make a very affordable 85mm (MF) lens available for a lot
of mounts at a reasonable price. A few people (various blogs/camera web
groups) report satisfaction - that is to say I haven't seen many major
complaints.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old September 8th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sep 3, 4:34 pm, Me wrote:
[...]

"Optical design of Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC comprises of
sixteen lenses arranged in eleven groups, including two aspherical
lens and two lens made of ED glass with low dispersion factor."

Not withstanding all the good bits, those eleven groups and sixteen
lenses make me a little apprehensive about image contrast. We shall
have to wait and see.

Eric Stevens
Old September 8th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On Sep 3, 4:34 pm, Me wrote:
[...]

Snap - Canon 24mm f3.5 LII TSE = 16 elements in 11 groups.

Old September 8th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Me" wrote:
responding to various people
No price yet. If it's okay, and the price is affordable, I expect this
could be a great success - there are probably a lot of photographers
like me who'd always wanted a T/S lens, but the entry point price was
high for something which may get occasional use.

"Optical design of Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC comprises of
sixteen lenses arranged in eleven groups, including two aspherical
lens and two lens made of ED glass with low dispersion factor."

Not withstanding all the good bits, those eleven groups and sixteen
lenses make me a little apprehensive about image contrast. We shall
have to wait and see.

Snap - Canon 24mm f3.5 LII TSE = 16 elements in 11 groups.

Yep. The Canon 24TSE II is a friggin' amazing lens. But it's not the
craziest: the Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II is 23 elements in 19 groups and
everyone loves it. The Zeiss Planar design (1896 or so; 6 elements in 4
groups) was unusable because It had too many surfaces, so the Tessar was the
go to normal lens until the 1950s. Lens coatings really do work.

But Samyang seems to be doing just fine on optical quality, and price.

The only downside of the Samyang lenses appears to be the fully manual
aperture. This is a major pain in the butt; I have several good lenses that
do good work on adapters and simply never get used because it slows one down
so much. If you can't allocate the money for the 24TSE II, you put up with
the manual aperture.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 8th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sep 3, 4:34 pm, Me wrote:
[...]

No mention of contrast problems with the Canon lens in DP Review but
is Samyang's coating technology up to Canon's? Time (and reviewers)
will tell.

Eric Stevens
Old September 8th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On Sep 3, 4:34 pm, Me wrote:
[...]

Samyang say:
"Each optical component of the product was covered with multi-layered,
anti-reflective UMC coatings, which provide great light transmission
factor, high contrasts and render only natural colors of the
photographed scene."
But I suppose that's what they would say...
The Samyang 14mm is supposed to be excellent for flare performance, so
for an f2.8 lens at that demanding focal length, their coatings must be
pretty decent on that lens anyway.
OTOH, several Samyang lenses have slightly higher distortion than
equivalent focal length/speed lenses from Nikon/Canon. Distortion for
the TS lens needs to be very low - I don't expect correction of (eg)
barrel distortion in PP would be very easy.
Old September 8th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 8/09/2012 3:12 p.m., David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Me" wrote:
[...]

Hopefully the aperture will be auto/body controlled on Nikon slrs.