Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

Old July 27th 19, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Finally a decent travel zoom from Fuji

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Alfred Molon:
, because the exposure is the same at F4
and 1/100s both on the small sensor camera and the large
sensor camera. But if you shoot at F8, the exposure time
will be 4x the exposure time at F4.

Sandman:
You're mixing exposure with equivalency. Exposure
is light per unit area, a smaller sensor has fewer of
those units, so the amount of total light is different,
meaning that a crop sensor camera need to boost its signal
to create an equal enough image. That's why crop sensors
usually are said to have poorer ISO.

Eric Stevens:
Let's consider two cameras, identical except
that one is half the size of the other. With the smaller
camera, the focal length will be halved, the lens diameter
will be halved. i.e. the f value will remain constant.

With the smaller camera, the sensor area will be one
quarter. So too will be the lens area. i.e. the amount of
light entering the lens will be reduced by a factor of four.

Sandman:
Exactly.

Eric Stevens:
But you have snipped the next bit

Sandman:
Because it shifted to exposure from equivalency. They're not the
same thing. To create two equivalent images from two different
sensors, you can't use the same exposure.

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#equivalence

Aah! I get you. Most people focus on the exposure triangle. You have
a different triangle in mind.

Yeah, equivalency, like I said. Where the equivalent aperture is a factor, and
should be mentioned. Not just the equivalent focal length.

--
Sandman
Old July 29th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 21/07/2019 16:09, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 21, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articlecsSdnctm_bjz5anAnZ2dnUU78dnNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 21/07/2019 08:58, Alfred Molon wrote:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-16-
80mm-f4-r-ois-wr/review/

Same length as the 18-55, 80 grams heavier. The closer focussing is
nice. The 18-55 is a useful lens IMHO. But I'd sat this plus an X-T30
body would be a pretty good way to start for anyone tempted by Fuji X.

The 16-80mm is a lens I might consider, and it is with the 18-55mm a good
choice for a Fujifilm starter. For now it is tough to fault the 18-55mm as it
still gives you F/2.8 at 18mm, and f/4 at 55mm. I use the 18-55mm on my
smaller X-E3 when I don’t have one of the primes, 23mm f/2.0, or 35mm f/1.4
on that body.

However, when it comes to quality glass the 16-55mm f/2.8 is outstanding, and
is my daily working lens on my X-T3. I have used it on the X-E3, but it is
big and awkward on the small body. The only thing that could improve it would
be to have a version with OIS. For now it is, as some have claimed, a bag of
primes. I even find that my 16mm f/1.4 is hardly used since I bought the
16-55 (I bought mine used from B&H for $748).

Currently on my Fujinon wish list are the 80mm f/2.8, and the 50-140mm f/2.8.
I will wait on the 16-80mm.

The 16-55 didn't seem to me different enough to the 18-55 to justify,
for my purposes. I have the 10-24 for super wide.

But having read the reviews I think I'll definitely get the 16-80 and
use that as the default lens on the T3, and relegate the 18-55 to use on
the E1 when I want to carry something smaller. Seems I have to wait
until September, though. I'm certainly tempted by the same lenses as
you, but I don't think I *really* need them.

I suppose I am not really a serious enough photographer to be a primes
purist. High iso and effective OIS means you don't need fast glass so
much any more, and I don't do as much arty, differential focus stuff as
I did in film days.
Old July 29th 19, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 29, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articleHLGdnfg4MLJbL6PAnZ2dnUU78KfNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

My thinking mirrored yours for some time, and there were other lenses I
wanted before even thinking about the 16-55. I was three years into the
Fujifilm X-system before I bought my used 16-55. I was thinking more of the
WR, which I need more for dust protection out here, rather than rain, or
snow. I try not to go out in the rain for photography that much.Once it was
on my X-T3 it was a revelation for me, and turned out to be everything that
it had been said to be, and I was quite surprised by the amazing image
quality throughout the FL range. However, it is much too large for the X-E
bodies.

As I said above, the 18-55 is a great lens, and now is usually on my X-E2, or
X-E3, or if I need a smaller general purpose zoom on the X-T3. The 16-55
gives me that extra 2mm to go wider, and the f/2.8 through the zoom range is
helpful at times. The image quality difference between the two lenses is
subtle, but undeniable.

The 10-24 is a lens I have considered, but I have found my 14mm f/2.8 wide
enough when needed.

But having read the reviews I think I'll definitely get the 16-80 and
use that as the default lens on the T3, and relegate the 18-55 to use on
the E1 when I want to carry something smaller. Seems I have to wait
until September, though. I'm certainly tempted by the same lenses as
you, but I don't think I *really* need them.

My current wish list lenses (including the 16-80/4) are going to have to wait
for next year, or the next tempting Fuji sale as this has become my year for
major house maintenance, and winter storm damage spending. I have had fallen
trees dealt with, the roof replaced, and now I have the fence to replace, and
the exterior to paint. All of that is costing enough that satisfying my lust
for photography gear has been restrained.

I suppose I am not really a serious enough photographer to be a primes
purist. High iso and effective OIS means you don't need fast glass so
much any more, and I don't do as much arty, differential focus stuff as
I did in film days.

For me there is something about the Fujifilm primes which I find appealing,
and occasionally challenging, and using the 23mm f/2.0 on one of my X-E
bodies makes a great, and inconspicuous street shooting rig. Then there is
the 16mm f/1.4 which is probably one of the best lenses I have ever owned,
unfortunately, these days I seem to have the 16-55 on my X-T3 more than I
have the 16/1.4 in my bag.

Savageduck