Epson 3800 and HP Z3100 printer reviews

Old January 20th 07, 04:01 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default Epson 3800 and HP Z3100 printer reviews

Hi All,

I've placed reviews of the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 on my printer
review page, and also a head to head comparision of their print quality
(not entirely fair, because they are very different printers, but hey :
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/prttests.php

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Co-moderator, Yahoo Canon-350D list
Workshops and seminars: http://www.thedigitalimagemaker.com/
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
Old January 20th 07, 04:13 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Smee R11S

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've placed reviews of the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 on my printer
review page, and also a head to head comparision of their print quality
(not entirely fair, because they are very different printers, but hey :
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/prttests.php

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Co-moderator, Yahoo Canon-350D list
Workshops and seminars: http://www.thedigitalimagemaker.com/
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

I'm sorry to say the reviews you made are very very very short on substance.
I really cannot have a view on either based on your review.
Old January 20th 07, 04:44 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've placed reviews of the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 on my printer
review page, and also a head to head comparision of their print
quality (not entirely fair, because they are very different printers,
but hey : http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/prttests.php

Cheers,

Wayne

At risk of sounding rude... The commentary and adjectives used in this
"review" (3800) could be applied to just about ANY printer currently on the
market. -Nothing specific to this printer, and ZERO details about anything.

It was a nice thought, but I don't see how this would help a serious,
discriminating shopper make a decision about this fairly serious printer.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 04:45 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Douglas

How on God's earth can you expect to be taken seriously when you print
drivel like this? Where are the spectrometer results? And... What on earth
prompted you to even attempt to compare an industrial printer like the HP
with an Epson destined for the desktop?

I suppose you never thought to compare apples with apples? Next time you try
to gain some credibility, try testing two industrial printers instead of a
desktop and a free standing industrial machine.

Where too are the comparisons of ink tank capacity? Just because Epson put
"Pro" after the description of a printer doesn't make it an industrial
machine. 80 ml. is hardly enough to start a production run of full width
canvas panorama's is it?

You just went down 5 points in my assessment of your ability to even write a
credible report, much less a concise one.

--

Australian Wedding Photography between Kempsy, NSW and Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photosbydouglas.com

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message
: Hi All,
:
: Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
: Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

Old January 20th 07, 05:25 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Smee R11S wrote:

I'm sorry to say the reviews you made are very very very short on
substance.
I really cannot have a view on either based on your review.

The HP is a setup and initial use report, as it says.
I've changed the name on the 3800 from review to impressions, as it is
that, my impressions from use.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 20th 07, 05:27 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

MarkČ wrote:

At risk of sounding rude... The commentary and adjectives used in this
"review" (3800) could be applied to just about ANY printer currently on the
market. -Nothing specific to this printer, and ZERO details about anything.

It was a nice thought, but I don't see how this would help a serious,
discriminating shopper make a decision about this fairly serious printer.

I've changed it from a review to impressions. Frankly I saw little point
in rehashing specifications, etc

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 20th 07, 05:34 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Douglas wrote:
How on God's earth can you expect to be taken seriously when you print
drivel like this? Where are the spectrometer results?

I don't do spectrophotometer tests. That does not make my impressions of
print quality, etc less meanful, just what they are, impressions and
observations from use. I've changed the name of the 3800 article from
review to impressions.

The Z3100 is called setup and initial use.

And... What on earth
prompted you to even attempt to compare an industrial printer like the HP
with an Epson destined for the desktop?

I did say in the first paragraph "This is not an even comparison, as the
Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 are very different printers. But I could not
resist it. I’ll leave out the obvious differences in size and paper
handling and concentrate on the print quality." I think that spells it
out, these are the two latest printers from these two companies, they
were here at the same time and I wanted to compare PRINT QUALITY,
nothing else.

I suppose you never thought to compare apples with apples? Next time you try
to gain some credibility, try testing two industrial printers instead of a
desktop and a free standing industrial machine.

Of course, and that's why I said I was only looking at print quality.

Old January 20th 07, 05:39 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

At risk of sounding rude... The commentary and adjectives used in
this "review" (3800) could be applied to just about ANY printer
currently on the market. -Nothing specific to this printer, and
ZERO details about anything. It was a nice thought, but I don't see how
this would help a serious,
discriminating shopper make a decision about this fairly serious
printer.

I've changed it from a review to impressions. Frankly I saw little
point in rehashing specifications, etc

Specifications wouldn't make it a review, either.
Normally, reviews include analysis and testing, with examples given and
results demonstrated (or at least detailed).

But your move to "impressions" is appropriate, I think.
-And good show...by not taking offense.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 05:43 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Douglas wrote:
How on God's earth can you expect to be taken seriously when you
print drivel like this? Where are the spectrometer results?

I don't do spectrophotometer tests. That does not make my impressions
of print quality, etc less meanful, just what they are, impressions
and observations from use. I've changed the name of the 3800 article
from review to impressions.

The Z3100 is called setup and initial use.

And... What on earth
prompted you to even attempt to compare an industrial printer like
the HP with an Epson destined for the desktop?

I did say in the first paragraph "This is not an even comparison, as
the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 are very different printers. But I
could not resist it.

Resist next time...
-On the other hand, don't take Douglas' rant too hard...since he has about
as much credibility around here as Milli Vanilli has for vocals.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 06:11 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

MarkČ wrote:

I did say in the first paragraph "This is not an even comparison, as
the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 are very different printers. But I
could not resist it.

Resist next time...
-On the other hand, don't take Douglas' rant too hard...since he has about
as much credibility around here as Milli Vanilli has for vocals.

LOLOL Agreed (about resisting next time).
I've further revised the head to head to spell out just why and what I
was interested in.

There is an interesting side to this, and I'll do a followup piece on
it. And that is that I often see people on a couple of other lists I am
on debating whether they can get away with a printer like the 3800 (or
even 2800) or whether they need to go to something like the 7800 or
Z3100. Now of course there is really no comparison between the two: the
paper handling options, width, ink capacity and likely longevity and
ease of service make a Z3100 far superior. But in terms of print quality
they can be VERY close, so it depends on what people are looking for.

BTW the criticisms were mostly valid, so there was no point in taking
offense.

Cheers,

Wayne

--