Really annoying photographer at a concert

Old May 26th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

Default Really annoying photographer at a concert

wrote:

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

I went to a bagpipe concert the other night. Now, I expect the friends
and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a
bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better.

Know why bagpipe players are always walking?

They're trying to get away from the noise.

I know a lot of piper jokes. That was not the point.
The point was how a photographer should respect the people who
purchased tickets at a concert, or a play, or other theatrical event.

This photographer if he had just used a flash, or had just run up and
down the isles, or had just gone in front of the stage once or twice
would have been okay. He kept doing all of these things. No
consideration for the people who paid for the concert.

That is what I have heart burn with. His attitude that I am the
photographer, and get out of my way. I have a job to do, and if you
don't like it... tough cookies, I am going to run over you in the
process. Not at all how a someone who is supposed to be a professional
photographer is supposed to act at a live performance.

I can see two reasons for him not having a fast enough lens:

1.The Army didn't purchase a fast enough lens for the camera for this
job.

2.The photographer didn't have enough experience shooting threatrical
produtions to know he needed to choose a faster lens for the job.

From his attitude, I think it was the second reason. However, lets

just assume it was the first. If that was the case, and he had to use
a flash to get good results, he could have stayed out of the way of the
audience, and not run up and down the isles. He had no call to run
back and forth in front of the stage. If he had done that much, I think
I would have overlooked his using the flash so much.

However, he was doing three things that really disrupted the concert.
He was using a high powered flash, he was running up and down the
isles, and he was doing something that anyone who has attending more
than one or two plays or concerts, or any kind of theatrical event
figures out in a hurry knows not to do - he was walking in front of the
stage to shoot his photos. He would walk out to the center of the
stage, and pop off a photo using the flash, right in front of everybody
like nobody was in the audience. Like he didn't care about everyone
who paid for a ticket to the concert.

So all of that combined just made him seem to be a real crass person.

Would have served him right if the audience had held a blanket party in his
honor afterwards eg.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate