[SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

Old July 21st 12, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

When this topic was first mooted someone made a remark which made me
think of reflections, images mirrored in the computer etc. From that
moment I was hooked on reflections and the like and never gave thought
to multiple objects. It's amazing how you can develop a blind spot.

Alan Browne 1

This is not inconsistent with my original thinking and I was quite
impressed with the idea. The shadow on a nearly vertical surface does
it nicely. At first sight the picure is stark, except for the wine.
But starting to explore and think, I wondered at the knots in the
weatherboards in the back ground (we would never get away with them in
New Zealand - they would be too likely to shrink and leak). I am
curious about the origin of the semicircular pattern indentations in
the seat board at the bottom of the photographs. The picure is not as
empty as some might be inclined to think.

Unlike others, I do not mind the window frame in the corner. It helps
balance the picture around the wine glass: it helps centre the picture
on the wine glass.

PAIR_Watchmaker_OLD_2.png

This surprised me. Not a reflection or identically matched pair of any
kind, but it's still a pair. It looks like a Leica F3 picture from 60
years ago. Is the similarity deliberate? In any case, I like the
sense of motion.

I was interested to see that SI accepts PNGs.

PAIR_Watchmaker_OLD_1

I was interested in the bottle tops but, apart from that, the photo
does nothing for me. It's a difficult subject done very well though.

PAIRS-Watchmaker-3

I particularly like this one. Its a pity you couldn't have made the
piers stand out from the clutter of plant life rather more than they
do.

Eric Stevens
Old July 21st 12, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 01:31 , Eric Stevens wrote:
When this topic was first mooted someone made a remark which made me
think of reflections, images mirrored in the computer etc. From that
moment I was hooked on reflections and the like and never gave thought
to multiple objects. It's amazing how you can develop a blind spot.

Whenever I see others interpretation of mandates I'm always impressed
with the shots and distressed at my not seeing things so differently.
Once trapped in an idea...

Alan Browne 1

This is not inconsistent with my original thinking and I was quite
impressed with the idea. The shadow on a nearly vertical surface does
it nicely. At first sight the picure is stark, except for the wine.
But starting to explore and think, I wondered at the knots in the
weatherboards in the back ground (we would never get away with them in
New Zealand - they would be too likely to shrink and leak). I am
curious about the origin of the semicircular pattern indentations in
the seat board at the bottom of the photographs. The picure is not as
empty as some might be inclined to think.

Unlike others, I do not mind the window frame in the corner. It helps
balance the picture around the wine glass: it helps centre the picture
on the wine glass.

A very generous comment. Thank you.

However, shamefully, this image was not made to rise to the mandate but
selected as a mascot for the mandate. Since I never found/made time to
shoot to the mandate I wickedly abused my powers as admin to leave it
there as a submission. I've heard whispers from The Committee that it
may be the last straw (we've had some strain of late that I've managed
to protect the community at large from witnessing, but I don't think it
will remain contained much longer).

To me this photo succeeds most of all in the "echo" (of the mandate)
where the wineglass is concerned. Additional line patterns were simply
bonuses.

Further, as I like to do, I try to starve the palette as much as
possible, esp. when making a deliberately simplified composition.

In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

I'm not sure what caused that circle. It seems too regular to be a
knot. It could be a defect correction inserted into the wood before it
was cut along length. Next time I'm out there I'll take another look -
and another shot at the composition.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 21st 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 11:21 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

That really isn't necessary:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg

I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
just a couple of minutes.

With content aware edition, this took less than 10 seconds from opening
the file, selecting the area and applying content-aware-editing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj51axzinp...6SMLCAEDIT.jpg

Original: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143800474

It's clear that content aware editing is very complex - since it failed
to do a good job here on a simple task. ;-).

I'll play with it more later.

Old July 21st 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

That really isn't necessary:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg

I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
just a couple of minutes.

The area between the slats would take a little more time. I'd just
create a layer under this with the wood siding and then use a Layer
Mask and paint out the gaps to show the wood.

I think, when you undertake a project like this, you have to consider
the intent of the image. As a Shoot-In image this worked very well.
Just as important, it elicited comments. The comments allowed you see
the image as others see it.

The book is now closed on this since we are now off and running On The
Road. The only reason to spend time on this image is in perfecting
editing techniques and practicing Photoshop cheats in order to be
better prepared for the next challenge.

Indeed, but the photoshop cheat that I've only used a few times is the
content aware editing tool. So I'd like to see how it performs on the
image at hand. (I often use clone/repair). (Later - off for a walk now).

You did a pretty sharp job of it in little time.

However it's up to me to take the shot so as to make editing an effort
of converting the raw effectively, cropping, resizing and sharpening
only without delving into the light arts.

Old July 21st 12, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 12:14 , tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

That really isn't necessary:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg

I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
just a couple of minutes.

The area between the slats would take a little more time. I'd just
create a layer under this with the wood siding and then use a Layer
Mask and paint out the gaps to show the wood.

I couldn't help myself. I did this in just the section bordered in
red.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y80z5x3lxecarw/Browne2.jpg

I wish you had left out the red border - admirable effort. (A little
boo-boo in the back board that holds the vertical slats together - 2nd
from left).

But as I said before, I'd rather get it right in camera than in the
computer. Indeed what you're doing (and my content aware edit) are
outside the guidelines of the SI.

Going for a walk. I mean it this time!

Old July 21st 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-21 09:13:34 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

Content aware fill just gives you a starting point.
Now duplicat the layer and go to filters-."Vanishing Point". Mark out
a perspective area using the siding lines as a guide, the expand the
area by pulling the middle top handle up, and the middle left handle to
the let, both beyond the canvas.
Next use the in-filter clone tool (adjust size using "[" "]") to cover
the bad content aware fill. Once done close out the vanishing point
filter and touch up. The fix result will be better.
http://db.tt/vDJbBHAy

Savageduck

Old July 21st 12, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I know, but I'm approaching this as an exercise. Like CPR, it's
best to learn a technique before you really need to use it.

The family consists of 8 members. I've done some face-swapping using
this technique in order to have one family group shot where one member
of the family doesn't look like the village idiot with mouth agape and
eyes closed.

I have CS4, which does not have the Content Aware feature. As soon as
the Duck sees this thread, he'll come up with a Content Aware fix
using CS5 that works. Some of us like to play around.

Curses!
Done and posted!

You do have "Vanishing Point" in CS4 and that is a pretty good
tool/filter to use for this fix even if you don't have content aware
correction.

Savageduck

Old July 21st 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

Content aware editing has been improved in CS6, but still it still has a
way to go. I often have to fix the errors with some cloning.

--
Peter

Old July 21st 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-21 09:13:34 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

Here is what the original looks like with the perspective plain I used applied.
http://db.tt/oky2NyGz

The editing in-filter tools are on the left.

Savageduck

Old July 21st 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Whoa! You messed up just to left of the wine glass. The board edge
"jumps" and the color doesn't match. You can do better than this.

Just a quick and nasty fix, not perfection demonstrating tools.
A little short on time, I have to hit the road for a visit to some
friends just North of Salinas. Perhaps a photo-op or two along the way.

Savageduck