Very Basic printer query

Old December 26th 04, 04:24 AM
MB_

Default Very Basic printer query

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.

Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (A Canon Pixma IP 4000) for us
to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).

OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
port.

My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as perhaps
printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.

Mel

Old December 26th 04, 05:26 AM

Just up the Canon printer. I'm assuming your Epson is setup now as default
because it's the only one. You will have a choice to make the Canon the
default printer. If you print documents more than photos, do not make the
Canon the default printer. When you print photos, just select your Canon.

Good luck

Old December 26th 04, 06:47 AM
nesredep egrob

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 22:24:12 -0500, "MB_"
wrote:

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.

Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (A Canon Pixma IP 4000) for us
to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).

OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
port.

My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as perhaps
printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.

Mel

If you have more than 1 printer connected (properly) then you will get
a choice the moment you hit the print command on whatever program. It
will give you choice labled as in my case: Canon BJC 3000, Canon
Selphy, Fax, Kyocera. Pick the one you need and that is it.

In this case the Kyocera (an idiotic printer if ever there was one) is
parallel connected, the others are usb. Not so sure about the the Fax
as that outputs to the Kyocera so it must be parallel.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
Old December 26th 04, 05:33 PM

In most windows software, if you print by clicking the printer icon
below menu bar, you will print with default printer. If, however, you
use the print command from the file menu, you will get a dialog box
showing printing set to default printer, but an option pulldown to
change to non-default menu.

Old December 27th 04, 02:16 AM
larrylook

"MB_" wrote in message
I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system. I also have an old Epson Printer
(stylus 400) connected to the parallel port. It works GREAT and I want to
keep it and use it for printing documents, etc.

Our kids gave us a present: A Canon printer (A Canon Pixma IP 4000) for

us
to use with a new digital camera we have (a Canon A75).

OK, let's assume I install the new printer. Assume I use it thru the USB
port.

My concern: How do I set it up so that I can utilize my Epson printer for
most things (WORD and WORKS documents/spreadsheets, etc. as well as

perhaps
printing web-pages and emails) and my Canon printer for photos.

I'd do the following on windows. Go to control panel -printers and faxes.
Find the Epson and right click on it, and set it to be default printer.
When you go to print a photo, look at the dialog boxes very carefully before
you print and select Canon as the printer. If you have a problem, you might
need to make the Canon the default printer, just to print off it, but then
remember to make the Epson the default when you're done.

Mel