Kodak DX6440 Battery Life

Old December 13th 04, 04:26 PM

Default Kodak DX6440 Battery Life

The battery pack in my DX6440 does not seem to keep its charge anymore.
The camera and battery are about 1 year old, and I use the PD6000 to
recharge it. Last week I recharged the camera, removed it from the
dock - when I went to use the camera 2 days later, the battery was
dead. This weekend, I charged the camera again and used it a few hours
later and was able to get a dozen shots in before the low battery
indicator began to flash. Is this a problem with the battery pack
itself, with the battery door causing loose contact, or with the actual
camera itself?

I frequently recharge before the battery is fully drained, since I
prefer to carry the camera fully charged. Does this impact the life of
the NiMH pack? If I do need to replace it, what will give me the best
performance...a replacement Kodak or standalone rechargeable batteries
(and if so, what type is best)? Also, if I use regular rechargebles,
can I charge them through the docking station?

Thanks.

-Dave

Old December 13th 04, 07:13 PM
Joseph Meehan

The battery pack in my DX6440 does not seem to keep its charge
anymore. The camera and battery are about 1 year old, and I use the
PD6000 to recharge it. Last week I recharged the camera, removed it
from the dock - when I went to use the camera 2 days later, the
battery was dead. This weekend, I charged the camera again and used
it a few hours later and was able to get a dozen shots in before the
low battery indicator began to flash. Is this a problem with the
battery pack itself, with the battery door causing loose contact, or
with the actual camera itself?

Sounds like the battery. However one year life seems short.

I frequently recharge before the battery is fully drained, since I
prefer to carry the camera fully charged. Does this impact the life
of the NiMH pack?

Very little.

If I do need to replace it, what will give me the
best performance...a replacement Kodak or standalone rechargeable
batteries (and if so, what type is best)?

No need for Kodak brand batteries. You are likely to find others just
as good at a lower price.

Also, if I use regular
rechargebles, can I charge them through the docking station?

Check the manual. I really don't know. If they are replacements with
the same specs as the original you should be able to use the docking
station.

I could be wrong about this, but I doubt if the docking station is going
to be your best charger however. Assuming the batter cells are standard,
like AA size, then I suggest getting a good smart charger that charges each
cell independently. Also get a second set of cells. It is never nice to
have a battery die in the middle of something and not have a backup.

Thanks.

-Dave

--
Joseph Meehan