Getting started with nature

Old August 24th 04, 05:56 AM
Robertwgross

Roger wrote:
...Pro film, like provia 100F at $10/role
plus $8 for developing works out to about $0.50 per frame, ...

I doubt if anybody pays that much for film and processing. It's about $5/roll
plus $4-9 for processing.

---Bob Gross---

Old August 24th 04, 08:12 AM
edgecomb

"Ray Creveling" wrote in message
I probably should have posted this message first

Hello to RPTN,

I am an amateur who as always concentrated mainly on people, street scenes
and action. After a long talk with the wife we've decided to begin saving
for a trip to Africa, the good news is my wife is now much more interested
in photography. The bad news is Nature (High Mag) and Landscapes are my

weak
points. It will take us a good 24 months to get the money put away so I

want
to start experimenting with techniques and concepts now. I will take any
advice on books and ideas you can offer. Also I could really use some

ideas
on shots to explore (I am in Lancaster PA) to get a feel for the different
composition.

While I know my kit is not adequate for a Safari (No ultra long Tele)

below
is what I have. I have been happy with the 22-55 just having trouble on
where to begin.

Canon Élan 7e
22-55mm f4-5.6
Tokina ATK 28-70 f2.8
Canon 75-300 MkII f4-5.6
Canon 50mm f1.8
Set of Kenko extension tubes
Insanely heavey Billora Video Tripod That I use with a Manfrotta ball head
and Manfrotta Focusing Rail For Macro
Canon 420 EX Flash
Canon ML-3 Ringlight

Thanks in advance,
--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com

---

Dear Ray,
Let me start by saying you have the very best in camera equipment and for
Africa you will not need to out lay any more.
In order to qualify that statement you may like to look at my web site at
http://www.ebtours.co.za
Here you will see an example of some of my work and what I have to
offer..please do not feel obligated in any way but please feel free to write
me on any advise.
All you will require is a lenses of 300mm 200mm and wide angle 28mm
Regards,
Robb

Old August 24th 04, 03:13 PM

Robertwgross wrote:
Roger wrote:

...Pro film, like provia 100F at $10/role
plus $8 for developing works out to about $0.50 per frame, ...

I doubt if anybody pays that much for film and processing. It's about $5/roll
plus $4-9 for processing.

Roger,
You are right, if one mail orders., B&H is $4.49 per role (USA),
and $89.80 for a 20 pack. Plus shipping ($6 slowest).
Locally (Denver) in camera stores
it runs $9 to 12/roll. Processing by a pro lab (last time
I did a role of 35mm a year ago) was $7.50 plus tax. Often one needs
to push a stop, so add a $1. $8.50 plus tax.
So that puts 95/20+8 = $12.75 per roll on the low end,
or $0.35 / frame. That doesn't change the economics much.
I wouldn't trust developing pro film to anyone but a pro lab
unless you knew the lab people personally.

Roger

Old August 25th 04, 04:50 AM
Scott Elliot

On my first trip to Africa with a 35mm camera I took a 20-35/3.5-4.5,
70-200/2.8, 105/2.8 macro, 400/5.6 lens and 1.4x teleconverter. I used the
400/5.6 the most, mainly for wildlife and the 20-35 second most, mainly for
landscapes. The 105 macro got some use in places where we could get out of
the vehicle to take flower and insect pictures. The 70-200 was least used,
but I was glad I had it on occasions.

I carried a heavy tripod, but you cannot get out of your vehicle in the game
parks so it was seldom used. In places we visited outside the game parks I
used it for wildflower photos. There was one place in Hwange, Zimbabwe
where the park attendant let me set up on the ground at the side of a
viewing stand, but that was an exception. (I got some great ground level
shots of evening activities at a water hole, but got a little worried when a
hyena came around to my side of the water and when a big baboon walked right
by me.)

On my second trip I switched to a D60, mainly because of luggage
restrictions and the problem of trying to pack enough film and equipment in
carry on. The lenses I took were the 20-35, 70-200 and 105 macro from the
first trip and a 50-500/4-6.3 Sigma lens with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.
The 50-500 was by far the most used lens. An alternative would have been
the Canon 100-400 Image Stabilized lens. That would have been useful a few
times when shooting from an open vehicle. With the 1.6x cropping factor on
the D60 the 50-500 is the equivalent of an 80-800mm lens on 35mm and I
certainly did not find it too long. For some bird and small, shy antelope
shots I used it with the 1.4x teleconverter. The 70-200/2.8 and 2x
teleconverter were backup in case the 50-500 had problems, but I only used
the 70-200 once in a low light early morning situation. The main
shortcoming of that combination was that on the D60, the 20-35 is only the
equivalent of 32mm at its widest setting and I did not have a wide enough
lens.

This time I took a lighter tripod and a home made window pod. (We were
touring game parks in a vehicle with roll down windows so this was
practical.) Again, there were few opportunities to use the tripod although
I did find places around camp and in some viewing stands where I could use
it. The window pod was used for at least 80% of my shots in game parks.

Check what kind of vehicle you will be shooting from. Some have open roofs
and a bean bag is more useful for telephoto shots than a window pod.

Some of the best photo opportunities are the very colourful birds and
vegetation. If you take time to photograph these you will be glad of the
longest lens you can get and a solid method of supporting the camera from
within your vehicle. Extension tubes are also handy if they come close
enough.

For the trip I am planning next year I hope to have a new Canon D20 camera.
If the new 10-22/3.5-4.5 lens turns out to be any good I will also consider
that. I will also take a 28-135 IS for walking around shots and the 50-500
again. The extension tubes and 1.4x teleconverter have also earned a place.
The 105 macro may come, it is very sharp, but the 28-135 with extension
tubes isn't too bad. I will consider bringing the D60, 70-200 and 2x
teleconverters as back up. I will certainly take at least one window pod,
and possibly a second so I can leave one mounted on both sides of the
vehicle. I will also take a light tripod. This time we will be going to
Namibia where except in Etosha there will be many places to get out of the
vehicle.

As for books, the most useful specific information I found was
"Photographing on Safari" by Joe McDonald. Other, more general books on
nature photography by Freeman Patterson, John Shaw and Art Wolfe are also
favourites.

Scott Elliot