Ultra Compact

Old March 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
ubars

Default Ultra Compact

My Daughter is going to Europe this summer and is interested in a very small
camera to take along. The Canon SD600 looks really good and I am hoping to
get some opinions or suggestions on other choices.

Thanks

Old March 4th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
bitwisebob

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:43:56 GMT, "ubars" wrote:

My Daughter is going to Europe this summer and is interested in a very small
camera to take along. The Canon SD600 looks really good and I am hoping to
get some opinions or suggestions on other choices.

a good choice

you might also look at the Canon Powershot A series. They use AA
batteries, might be easier to get while traveling, easier than dealing
with different power supplies and the SD series plug in battery
chargers

best performance will be with rechargable AAs, NiMh, but regular
batteries can work. can't take pictures on a dead battery

they are a bit larger in size, but still small

A570 IS looks good
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...ode lid=14905

Send her off with a few extra (big) memory cards, too :-)

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old March 8th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
jhthurman

I have an SD600 I carry with me everywhere. The advantage of this camera is
it's very small and easy to carry, but delivers good results. If on a trip,
I always carry an extra fully charged battery and extra 1GB memory card
since the smaller camera will mean a smaller battery and if you have a
spare, you'll be fine; if not, batteries tend to die on you at the worst
possible time. As long as you have the back-ups, you're good to go...enjoy

Old March 8th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David J Taylor

ubars wrote:
My Daughter is going to Europe this summer and is interested in a
very small camera to take along. The Canon SD600 looks really good
and I am hoping to get some opinions or suggestions on other choices.

Thanks

I got a Ricoh R5:

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

which has a 28 - 200mm lens, CCD-shift image stabilisation, weighs about
170g and is about an inch thick. Nice pictures in good light. Bigger
zoom range and IS which the Canon lacks.

David