[Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results

Old June 23rd 04, 01:39 PM
Orville Wright

Default [Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results

Alan Browne wrote in message . ..
here are the results.
No surprise that the most common FL was 50mm (19 of 69 lenses),
and most of those the humble f/1.7 or f/1.8.

Next most common were the 100/105s, although due to some people
distinguishing between use as portrait or macro, this might not
be a good 'lumping'.

Third on the list is split between fast 50s (f/1.2&1.4) and 28s.

Only 6 of 69 (9%) lenses were non-OEM
(I counted MS' "Leitz" lenses as being OEM).

Notes:
a) 50mm lenses were sub-divided into categories:
-f/1.2+f/1.4
-f/1.7, f/1.8 + f/2.0
-f/2.8

As a couple respondants had more than one 50mm f/1.8 lens, the "%
of resp" below has been corrected accordingly.

b) 105's are counted as 100's. This might not be fair as some
100's are macro whereas the 105's are not. So a seperate summary
is added below the main list.

69 lenses were reported. (Michael B, your MF lenses were not counted)

Chris your "420" was reported as a 300.

FL (mm) Number % of resp.
15 2 14%
18 1 7%
20 3 21%
24 4 29%
28 7 50%
35 4 29%
50 7 50% (f/1.2 & 1.4)
50 11 64% (f/1.7 & f/1.8)
50 1 7% (f/2.8)
55 2 14%
70 1 7%
85 4 29%
90 3 21%
100/105 8 57%
135 2 14%
180 2 14%
200 2 14%
300 3 21%
400 1 7%
560 1 7%

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8 100/105's broke down as:

3: macro (and portrait)
5: portrait

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Non OEM lenses reported:
Sigma: 1
Tokina: 2
Cosina: 1
Rikoh: 1
Vivitar: 1

Only one Sigma lens among the entire survey pool? I can see that we
are dealing with people who don't understand anything precision
optics. Sigma lenses are superior to all other maufacturers' in both
build and optics. Yes, I admit that there can be some compatibility
issues when using Sigma's great lenses on third party camera bodies,
so the ultimate thing is to buy a Sigma body too.

The Sigma SD and SA camera lines generally do not require the use of a
tripod unless you are doing a long exposure over 1 second. Images are
always tack sharp. There is some mystery feature built into the Sigma
camera bodies that prevent camera shake. Of course, Sigma does not
need to brag like Canon or Minolta by throwing a "IS" or "AS" in front
of the camera.

Hope this helps,

-Orville
Old June 23rd 04, 02:02 PM
Mick Sterbs

"Orville Wright" wrote in message
om...

The Sigma SD and SA camera lines generally do not require the use of a
tripod unless you are doing a long exposure over 1 second. Images are
always tack sharp. There is some mystery feature built into the Sigma
camera bodies that prevent camera shake. Of course, Sigma does not

Oh my god, this is the best ever false claim about Sigma. Now there's a
piece of magic built into Sigmas which ensures there's no camera shake up to
1s exposure. You're not in the real world are you?

Old June 23rd 04, 03:25 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 6/23/2004 5:39 AM Orville Wright spake thus:

Only one Sigma lens among the entire survey pool? I can see that we
are dealing with people who don't understand anything precision
optics. Sigma lenses are superior to all other maufacturers' in both
build and optics.

This is one time I'll violate my own rule and allow M. Scarpitti to
shamelessly humiliate this poster for this outrageous statement.

--
According to the New York Times, last year White House lawyers concluded
that President Bush could legally order interrogators to torture and even

- Jay Leno, The Tonight Show, 6/10/04

Old June 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Stacey

Orville Wright wrote:

Only one Sigma lens among the entire survey pool?

When did Sigma start making medium format lenses and for which model
cameras?

I understand you feel you need to defend your sigma lenses all over usenet
but please confine your rants to the relevant groups. We have enough of the
"digiheads" ranting about their Dslrs, I'm not interested in reading about
why you need to defend your sigma 35mm lenses as well.

--

Stacey
Old June 23rd 04, 04:22 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Orville
Wright wrote:

Only one Sigma lens among the entire survey pool? I can see that we
are dealing with people who don't understand anything precision
optics. Sigma lenses are superior to all other maufacturers' in both
build and optics. Yes, I admit that there can be some compatibility
issues when using Sigma's great lenses on third party camera bodies,
so the ultimate thing is to buy a Sigma body too.

OK, time to take off the blinders.

The Sigma SD and SA camera lines generally do not require the use of a
tripod unless you are doing a long exposure over 1 second. Images are
always tack sharp. There is some mystery feature built into the Sigma
camera bodies that prevent camera shake. Of course, Sigma does not
need to brag like Canon or Minolta by throwing a "IS" or "AS" in front
of the camera.

No, because even with a tripod the images will look equally crappy.
The mystery feature is wondering why people waste perfectly good money
on inferior equipment.

Hope this helps,

-Orville

Hope this helps...
Old June 23rd 04, 07:42 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Orville Wright" wrote

I can see that we are dealing with people who don't understand
... precision optics. Sigma lenses are superior to all other...
[and] do not require the use of a tripod [for exposures up to
one second] ...

Oh, come on Orville.

Sigma isn't a patch on the great marques of Cambron, Vemar
and Phot-All.

These classic lenses prefigured Sigma's VibraFocal(c) feature
by decades, producing uniform sharpness handheld at all shutter
speeds, Parkinson's or no.

* * *

Looks like you got a good catch, BTW.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old June 23rd 04, 10:26 PM
Bandicoot

"Orville Wright" wrote in message
om...

[Shill Snipped]

Hi George.

Old June 24th 04, 12:09 AM
William Graham

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
According to the New York Times, last year White House lawyers concluded
that President Bush could legally order interrogators to torture and even
kill people in the interest of national security--so if that's legal,
what the hell are we charging Saddam Hussein with?

Killing & torturing them without any threat to his national
security......Just because he liked to kill & torture people.

- Jay Leno, The Tonight Show, 6/10/04

Old June 24th 04, 12:18 AM
Frank ess

William Graham wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
According to the New York Times, last year White House lawyers
concluded that President Bush could legally order interrogators to
torture and even kill people in the interest of national
security--so if that's legal, what the hell are we charging Saddam
Hussein with?

Killing & torturing them without any threat to his national
security......Just because he liked to kill & torture people.

He "liked" to kill and torture people to keep the remainder docile. Now
they are discovering what non-docile behavior can do. Ol' Bush
accomplished something, anyway.

Old June 24th 04, 01:24 AM
William Graham

"Frank ess" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
According to the New York Times, last year White House lawyers
concluded that President Bush could legally order interrogators to
torture and even kill people in the interest of national
security--so if that's legal, what the hell are we charging Saddam
Hussein with?

Killing & torturing them without any threat to his national
security......Just because he liked to kill & torture people.

He "liked" to kill and torture people to keep the remainder docile. Now
they are discovering what non-docile behavior can do. Ol' Bush
accomplished something, anyway.

Yes.....Bush freed the Iraqi people. If only for a little while. I hope they
remain free, but if they don't, at least Bush gave them the chance. But you
are definitely right. A tyrant has to kill large numbers of people to keep
the rest docile. And, as long as one has to kill people, one might as well
have lots of fun doing it, so that explains Saddam's torture chambers and
rape rooms. And if Jay Leno doesn't see that Bush doesn't maintain torture
chambers and rape rooms, well, that's his stupidity, not mine, but I'm sure
he got a good laugh with his little joke.