5D

Old August 22nd 05, 01:48 PM
Thomas Müller

Default 5D

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/
Old August 22nd 05, 02:02 PM
Tony Polson

Thomas Müller wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

Now let's see the doubters eat their words!

They were told, but they would not believe.

;-)

Old August 22nd 05, 02:19 PM
Darrell

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Thomas Müller wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

Now let's see the doubters eat their words!

They were told, but they would not believe.

I wonder if Canon can get one to work? I sent back 4 more 20D with problems
out of the box.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:14 PM
Steve Franklin

Superb.

Hopefully Nikon will follow...if not...I don't have any legacy glass and
will gladly swap over to canon. So many plentiful EF lenses to choose from
on the second hand market...

Well done Canon...

Old August 22nd 05, 04:34 PM
David J Taylor

Steve Franklin wrote:
Superb.

Hopefully Nikon will follow...if not...I don't have any legacy glass
and will gladly swap over to canon. So many plentiful EF lenses to
choose from on the second hand market...

Well done Canon...

Much as I respect Nikon, I suspect the 5D may be the turning point in the
demise of the small-format sensor 35mm cameras. I remain keen on the 4/3
system as a lightweight alternative, although I've yet to see evidence of
that coming to fruition. I suspect we will look back on small sensor DSLR
35mm cameras tomorrow much as we do 5.25 inch floppies today.

I do hope Nikon/Sony have an answer!

Cheers,
David

Old August 22nd 05, 07:31 PM
C Wright

On 8/22/05 10:34 AM, in article
, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Steve Franklin wrote:
Superb.

Hopefully Nikon will follow...if not...I don't have any legacy glass
and will gladly swap over to canon. So many plentiful EF lenses to
choose from on the second hand market...

Well done Canon...

Much as I respect Nikon, I suspect the 5D may be the turning point in the
demise of the small-format sensor 35mm cameras. I remain keen on the 4/3
system as a lightweight alternative, although I've yet to see evidence of
that coming to fruition. I suspect we will look back on small sensor DSLR
35mm cameras tomorrow much as we do 5.25 inch floppies today.

I do hope Nikon/Sony have an answer!

Cheers,
David

I don't think that this marks the end of small-format sensors in the
consumer DSLR market. But, in the pro and semi-pro DSLR market I think that
your are spot on in your prediction. The pros and advanced amateurs are
going to gravitate back to the format with which they are familiar from
their 35mm film days.
Chuck

Old August 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
David J Taylor

C Wright wrote:
On 8/22/05 10:34 AM, in article
, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

Steve Franklin wrote:
[...]

Which leaves the small-format cameras as low-end cheap (?) and nasty (?)
alternatives to the "proper" DSLRs. Perhaps the high-end ZLRs will then
represent a better value, higher quality alternative in that price range?

Cheers,
David

Old August 22nd 05, 08:38 PM
l e o

David J Taylor wrote:
C Wright wrote:

On 8/22/05 10:34 AM, in article
k, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

Steve Franklin wrote:

[...]

How small do you want for the 4/3 system? You know the main objective
for it's recreation is for small SLR players to band together to counter
Canon and Nikon (and K-M/Sony). Do you want to shrink the sensor size
and lens mnount of the 4/3 system further? Doing so would just wash away
all the benefit of the SLR. The ZLR doesn't have higher quality but it's
a compromise that many consumers have to live with, whether they like it
or not. They are much better than those film P&S anyway.
Old August 22nd 05, 10:27 PM
Tony Polson

"Darrell" wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
.. .
Thomas Müller wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

Now let's see the doubters eat their words!

They were told, but they would not believe.

I wonder if Canon can get one to work? I sent back 4 more 20D with problems
out of the box.

Please tell me where you buy your cameras, so I can avoid those
stores.

Old August 23rd 05, 08:01 AM
David J Taylor

l e o wrote:
[]
How small do you want for the 4/3 system? You know the main objective
for it's recreation is for small SLR players to band together to
counter Canon and Nikon (and K-M/Sony). Do you want to shrink the
sensor size and lens mnount of the 4/3 system further? Doing so would
just wash away all the benefit of the SLR. The ZLR doesn't have
higher quality but it's a compromise that many consumers have to live
with, whether they like it or not. They are much better than those
film P&S anyway.

In principle, as the sensor is half the linear dimensions of 35mm film, I
had been hoping (in extreme) for cameras and lenses of half the size, and
one eighth of the weight and volume. However, I believe that some DSLRs
are already more compact than the present 4/3 system cameras, so that's
why I think that 4/3 isn't achieving what I would like to see.

I thought that the 4/3 system might provide an opportunity to break from
the constraints of last century's 35mm cameras, providing some novel
optical solutions, and still retain sufficient image quality for the great
majority of applications, whereas the innovations are actually being seen
in ZLR cameras.

David