Does this a object make photographs??

Old August 22nd 05, 03:20 AM
William Graham

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles
are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children
are at risk, etc.
They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it
gains a reputation for police presence.
It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
from time to time.

I think they are great in residential neighborhoods.....I am a cat lover,
and I hate it when people speed down residential streets at 15 or 20 miles
over the speed limit. I don't mind it if they do 80 or better on the
freeway, but my cats are poor trusting soles that like to sun themselves on
the warm pavement of the road..........

Old August 22nd 05, 03:22 AM
William Graham

wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:50:21 +1200, "Cockpit Colin"
wrote:

I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

That could be a two-edged sword. Some places have a law that,
despite a lower posted limit, the limit must be raised if some
percentage (about 85%, IIRC) of cars are routinely exceeding the
limit. Supposed to prevent setting up speed traps.

The last time I checked with my cats, they had trouble understanding the 85%
part.......

Old August 22nd 05, 04:09 AM
MarkČ

[...]

Agree. Didn't mean to imply otherwise...

Old August 22nd 05, 10:00 AM
Ron Hunter

William Graham wrote:
[...]

Keep your cats inside, or run the risk of them becoming 'flat cats'.
It's that simple.

--
Ron Hunter
Old August 22nd 05, 10:37 AM
MarkČ

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
news
William Graham wrote:
[...]

Let them out...and let them be...well...cats!

Old August 22nd 05, 05:41 PM
Beach Bum

Does this a object make photographs??

Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)

http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg

I think this is an interesting extension of the "When does a photo become a
graphic image" thread. Based on some comments in that other thread, even my
camera doesn't take photographs. g

Just as a photograph only shows one aspect of a scene, this device
represents another aspect of a scene - specifically the a snapshot of the
rate of change in spacial orientation of large wheeled objects.

I don't think this device takes "photographs", but there must be a higher
class from which photos inherit - "time slice image"?? - this device clearly
does something similar to what cameras do.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 22nd 05, 08:47 PM
William Graham

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
news
William Graham wrote:
[...]

No, there is another alternative. Stop and arrest anyone going more than ten
miles over the speed limit in a residential neighborhood and fine them with
so much money that they can't afford to buy gasoline for 6 months. That
might slow them down a bit. It's not just cats they may run over. We also
have small children in the neighborhood. the speed limit here is 25 MPH.
There is a reason for that. The intersections are mostly blind, for one
thing. So, stopping and looking, at the stop signs is largely a waste of
time. You can't see anything, so how long should you remain stopped? A
minute? An hour? Or one second? - It doesn't matter how long, because you
can't see when it's clear to go, so why stop at all? - If you don't stop,
and someone hits you going 10 miles over the speed limit, he will scream
bloody murder that, "The old geezer didn't stop!" But whose fault is it? If
you do stop, and then go and get hit, he will scream the same thing, and
whose fault is it? I believe it's the fault of the speeder. If he were going
25 MPH, he would have been able to stop in time. That's why the limit is 25.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:00 PM
William Graham

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
news
William Graham wrote:
[...]

Yes....I have never had an, "inside cat". I have never really had a cat.
Every cat I have ever "owned" has just wandered in from somewhere else, and
liked the cut of my jib, and stayed. They have never belonged to me in the
first place. A cat is a truly independent animal. He/she belongs to no one
but themselves. But that doesn't mean that I don't become attached to them,
and wouldn't care if they get run down. I care. And, when my wife leaves for
a week or more to visit her grandkids down in California, the cats worry
about her being gone, and look all over the house for her, so I know that
they care, too. One of them, "B-K" (I found him in a Burger King parking
lot) comes into the bedroom and hops up on my chest and checks up on me to
see if I am still alive two or three times a night. He knows that if it
wasn't for me, he would still be living on French fries and onion rings and
anything else that people threw at him for the first year of his
life.....Now, he eats exclusively kibbles, and a bowl of milk that I give
him every evening, and he lives outside 95% of the time.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:59 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Cockpit Colin wrote:

I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

I had my speedometer tested and it was found to be accurate. Most of the
roadside radar thingies seem to be accurate (modulo the angle-of-approach
error) but there are always a few that seem to read high by 5-10 mph.

One assumes that the units in police cars, required to be calibrated
regularly, are more consistent.

--
Jeremy |