If the Canon 5D is real...

Old August 12th 05, 11:57 PM
Stacey

Darrell wrote:

As for 1D mk.II owners being unhappy, I doubt it. If I spent CDN $5500 on
a pro dSLR, I would expect that a newer, better, faster and cheaper camera
would show up.

Like with ANY electronics. Do people become unhappy because faster PC CPU's
or video cards are released and the one they bought is selling for less
than they paid for it? If they are, they are going to be disappointed with
every purchase they make! I'm sure the 1DmkII owners will be just as happy
with the output from that camera as they were when they bought it.
--

Stacey
Old August 12th 05, 11:59 PM
Dave R knows who

"nick c" wrote in message
Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

A bit unlikely, IMO.

Most 1DMkII users probably need the speed, and ruggedness (e.g. weather
proofing, more shutter actuations before it wears-out), and the
battery-life of that model. The slightly smaller than Full Frame images
also transmit faster and consume less storage space. It's intended for an
entirely different users group.

Bart

I agree.

I'm very happy with my 1DMKII. It has the features I sought when I bought
the camera. A full frame may later become available but when considering
I'm quite happy with what I have, coupled with the associated lens
arrangements that I have, I can't imagine myself becoming unhappy just
because there is a full frame 1DMKII that has become available. The x1.3
lens factor has not as yet proven to be a handy cap. My lens procurement
paractices have taken in the x1.3 lens factor so having appropriate lenses
is no longer a concern.

Considering the enormous success of the 20D and Rebel series cameras, both
having x1.6 factors to consider, I'm wondering why there is so much
general concern about a full frame digital that would be mostly sought by
a digital niche market.

Off the top of my head I would think it would interest old pros with old
glass who don't want to deal with magnification issues, and a few of us
newbies want their fisheyes to be 180 again. Like you said, niche. And it
has niche pricing to go along with it!

Old August 13th 05, 12:01 AM
Stacey

Canon is increasing the yields on FF sensors;

You got this info from?

--

Stacey
Old August 13th 05, 12:29 AM
Slack

Stacey wrote:

Like with ANY electronics. Do people become unhappy because faster PC CPU's
or video cards are released and the one they bought is selling for less
than they paid for it?

What the heck do you think has been fueling the computer industry for
the last decade or so?
--
Slack
Old August 13th 05, 01:29 AM
wilt

I would think it would interest old pros with old
glass who don't want to deal with magnification issues, and a few of us
newbies want their fisheyes to be 180 again.

Or those who wish to have fast wide angle lenses, since the 1.6 crop
causes the need for shorter focal lengths, all of which come with a
much higher price tag for the equivalent focal length with as fast a
maximum apertture, if you could find it! If you had 24mm f/2 for your
FF, try to find a 15-16mm f/2! Or try to find a 15mm Perspective
Control lens for architectural shots! Whether or not the 24 f/2 or the
PC is already in your arsenel, you just can't get it for the crop
format!

--wilt

Old August 13th 05, 01:43 AM
Darrell

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message

Since Nikon doesn't make their own sensors, I guess you'll have to
wait on Sony to do it.

Nikon did develop it's LBCAST sensor used in the D2X.

Old August 13th 05, 02:05 AM
SMS

Darrell wrote:
"John A. Stovall" wrote in message

Since Nikon doesn't make their own sensors, I guess you'll have to
wait on Sony to do it.

Nikon did develop it's LBCAST sensor used in the D2X.

Negative. The LBCAST sensor is used in the D2/D2H. The D2x uses a Sony
sensor.
Old August 13th 05, 02:16 AM
Darrell

I still affirm the PDF is faked, the specs are accurate. The camera shown is
likely a mock-up due to an embargo.

http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...nally-unveiled

Release will be at the IFA exhibition will start on the 2nd till the 7th of
September, 2005

Old August 13th 05, 03:09 AM
nick c

Dave R knows who wrote:
"nick c" wrote in message

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"Rox-off" wrote in message
newsan.2005.08.12.08.27.15.359000@empirerods. com...

[...]

Dave - Wilt,

Both comments are sound. There's a great deal of merit in what you both
say. My mind hadn't traveled down the 'already have fast, old glass
road' that can be used with FF digital cameras.

Along that line of thought though, I wonder how serious a concern should
be given to having fast, old glass lenses. I can understand wanting fast
lenses in a lens inventory, but that was with cameras that had set ISO
speeds. Stepping into the digital world, I think it best to re-evaluate
old habits and thoughts concerning lenses. Dslr cameras are not
handicapped by fixed ISO speeds so instead of stocking a costly f2.8
lens why not go one stop slower and if shooting on automatic, let the
Dslr select the best ISO and F-stop for the scene or if going aperture
(my preference) select whatever ISO speed that suits the f-stop intended
to be use. I was once going to buy the Canon 16-35 f-28L lens until I
awoke and said to myself, I've been doing great with the slower 17-40
f-4L lens in areas I once thought the f-28 speed would be highly
advantages. I found it was old habits that were driving me.

Dave - Wilt, believe me you fellows make sense if concern was centered
upon using old fast glass. But lets assume a new digital FF comes in at
about $5,500, at that price I do think it best to re-evaluate and
consider the advantages of selling old glass and using lower cost new
glass, one f-stop slower with variable ISO changes.

Having said that, I don't have a sensible counter proposal to offer that
would compensate for already having wide 'rectilinear' glass or
architectural glass. But I can see having to dish out mega bucks if
there's no other (workaround) alternative and the use of these type
established lenses are of paramount importance. Yep, it would definitely
be a niche (expensive) market.