Some different Nikon News

Old February 17th 12, 12:48 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Some different Nikon News

I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

Savageduck

Old February 17th 12, 05:52 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

I wonder how many of these shops will stop selling Nikon because of
this? Stupid move, Nikon.
Old February 17th 12, 10:01 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

wrote:
: I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
: http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

The author of the article seems clueless about how the US auto repair industry
works. Automobile manufacturers are many years ahead of Nikon, routinely
withholding even what their engine computer error codes mean, so that only
their "authorized" dealers can understand what has gone wrong with their cars.

I believe there's been some litigation about that though, and even threats of
new laws. So my information may now be somewhat out-of-date.

Bob
Old February 17th 12, 10:12 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-16 19:48 , Savageduck wrote:
I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

Regarding the web page above, there were a few ridiculous points, the
worse being:

QUOTE
If you depend on your camera for work, as Jarvie does, having to mail
your camera in to be fixed will cost you more than just the price of the
repair: lost business, shipping costs, and time lost waiting for the
Postal Service to shuttle the camera back and forth.
UNQUOTE

Really? Does the writer REALLY believe Jarvie has a single camera?

As to Nikon I believe the policy as stated is absolutely stupid - UNLESS
it also allows more shops to qualify as Nikon repair stations.

I know a few local press photogs who are stuck with paper owned Nikon
gear that they have to cycle through a Nikon approved service. The
service is very good (quality) but slow in time. No real issue - they
have plenty of spare bodies, lenses and flashes. For others it could be
a drag.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 17th 12, 10:52 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

I noted the story is promoted by Ifixit.com. Presumably they are no
longer on the list of Nikon approved repairers. Perhaps at least some
of their comments are due to sour grapes.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 17th 12, 11:06 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

On 2012-02-16 19:48 , Savageduck wrote:
I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

Regarding the web page above, there were a few ridiculous points, the
worse being:

QUOTE
If you depend on your camera for work, as Jarvie does, having to mail
your camera in to be fixed will cost you more than just the price of
the repair: lost business, shipping costs, and time lost waiting for
the Postal Service to shuttle the camera back and forth.
UNQUOTE

Really? Does the writer REALLY believe Jarvie has a single camera?

But absolutely having to have two cameras (or three if you believe you
need two working ones to take to a gig) is itself a cost, and a rather
large one.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 17th 12, 11:45 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

I noted the story is promoted by Ifixit.com. Presumably they are no
longer on the list of Nikon approved repairers. Perhaps at least some
of their comments are due to sour grapes.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

I think "promoted" might not be a good choice of words. It is their
story. Camera repair is one part of their business, and when a
manufacturer, or more likely in this case a distributer in Nikon USA
denies them part of that business when they are more than capable of
handling the task I guess they might not be happy about it. They have
just made their situation known to all who might care.

Ifixit is a great, knowledgeable, & geeky repair service specializing
in repair of all types of electronics including digital cameras, Macs
and Apple products in particular. They gained a reputation for being
first in line to demonstrate tear down and reveals of Apple product
innards.

Along with making repairs they also provide DIY kits along with
replacement parts and video guides. Here is one such DIY guide for an
iPhone 4 repair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBpFP...feature=relmfu

These guys are very good at what they do, and best of all they are
local for me. I have only bought a logic board from them for my
father's PowerBook G4 and I have been quite satisfied. In my opinion
these are the guys who should be working at the Apple "Genius Bars".

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 12:08 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

And I would expect them to be upset if Apple took away their access to
Apple parts. I wonder what they would say about Apple?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 18th 12, 12:18 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That would be far more damaging to their business than the loss of
local Nikon repairs, and I imagine they would be just as vocal in
protest since they have a fairly large platform. However, IMBW, but I
suspect they have a somewhat different relationship with Apple and the
folks in Cupertino.

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 12:53 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-17 18:06 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

But absolutely having to have two cameras (or three if you believe you
need two working ones to take to a gig) is itself a cost, and a rather
large one.

I don't know of any pro photog who brings less than 2 cameras to a gig,
event, shoot, wedding, etc. His fees depend on taking photos at the
time needed, not making excuses about failed eqt. Another commercial
photographer nearby always has 3 cameras (sports, medical, etc.).
Another brings 2 identical rigs (everything from cameras to lenses to
lighting) to every wedding.

The capital is depreciated at 20% per year making it a sliver of annual
revenue. A couple news photogs I know always have 3 cameras, each with
the 1 of the holy trinity lenes mounted. Saves time switching. Those
cameras are owned by the paper, however. (Who still lay it off at
20%/year).

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM