Nikon D7000 anyone?

Old September 13th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

Default Nikon D7000 anyone?

On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:

I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...easons_to_buy_
the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15

Thoughts?

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

I suppose that you could also consider the extensive menu system a
downside - it's got a ton of settings, although the out-of-the-box
settings will get you going quickly. It's big and solid. If you like a
lighter/smaller camera, it may be too big for you. The battery lasts
forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now, over 500 pictures, and
it's still on its first charge.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old September 13th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 13 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Bruce wrote:

Joe Makowiec wrote:

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only
downside I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the
computer as a storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

Old September 13th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Joe Makowiec wrote:

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only
downside I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the
computer as a storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

I think you need to take another look at your D7000 manual and give it
another try.

Check page #779 that details using "Nikon Transfer 2". Even if you
don't use the Nikon software the SD card should still show up on your
desktop as a drive.
Also if you are a Lightroom user once connected LR can be set to import
straight from the camera.

Personally I find a card reader is a better way to go, rather than a
direct camera to computer USB link.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Bruce writes:

Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:
I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...easons_to_buy_
the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15

Thoughts?

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
and having it not work is a pain.
Old September 13th 11, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Joe Makowiec wrote:

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only
downside I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the
computer as a storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

I think you need to take another look at your D7000 manual and give it
another try.

Check page #779 that details using "Nikon Transfer 2". Even if you
don't use the Nikon software the SD card should still show up on your
desktop as a drive.
Also if you are a Lightroom user once connected LR can be set to
import straight from the camera.

I won't take the risk of letting that kind of software perform the
transfer. I've been transferring other ways the past years with zero
problems, while hearing frequent reports of people who got badly screwed
over by some magic transfer program. No thanks; not interested.

And, again, camera direct connect is for me an emergency procedure, so
having it depend on other software is not useful.
Old September 14th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Joe Makowiec wrote:

[...]

Agreed, I use card readers and the direct connect is only for emergencies.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:28:30 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Agreed, I use card readers and the direct connect is only for emergencies.

I use a card reader. I have my first damaged SD card from, I think,
repeatedly inserting it and removing it from the camera and card
reader.

The card will not "click" into the SD card slot, and sometimes I get
the message "No memory card" from the camera. No big deal, though, as
I have six other SD cards. Just glad it didn't fail with a bunch of
shots on it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 14th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/14/2011 5:39 AM, Bruce wrote:

SNIP

I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
are faster and more convenient.

An experienced professional such as yourself should have realized that a
tethered camera gives you a much larger view of the image, so that
instant, on the spot corrections can be made.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Bruce writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bruce writes:
Joe Makowiec wrote:
[...]

I haven't connected a camera to a computer in several years either,
except for testing. See the phrase "emergency procedure" up there? I
don't like it as a normal procedure, but it can cover my ass if I lose
or break my card reader on the road. Or somebody else does and I can
loan them mine and use direct connect myself (or they can; but if their
camera can't connect as storage...).
Old September 17th 11, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
IsThisScottie

Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:

I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...easons_to_buy_
the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15

Thoughts?

I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

I suppose that you could also consider the extensive menu system a
downside - it's got a ton of settings, although the out-of-the-box
settings will get you going quickly. It's big and solid. If you like a
lighter/smaller camera, it may be too big for you. The battery lasts
forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now, over 500 pictures, and
it's still on its first charge.

Do you turn it off when not in use or has it been left on the entire time?