Is the Kodak 4 MP EasyShare CX7430 any good?

Old June 29th 04, 01:59 PM
Bill

Default Is the Kodak 4 MP EasyShare CX7430 any good?

I'm looking to get a Digital point and shoot to replace our aging 35mm film
camera and have been looking at the Kodak 4 MP EasyShare CX7430 which is
available for around 240 dollars. Has anyone had any experiences with this
camera? I did a bit of googling and not much came up for it. According to
what I've read it was introduced in Febuary 2004 so maybe that is the reason
for the lack of post pro or con about it. It seems to have the right mix of
auto and manual features I would use, mostly on auto mode but occasionally
I'd use the manual mode, mostly to use a higher shutter speed since the auto
looks like it tops out at 160 or so. From what I have read a 4MP should be
sufficient for my needs since I've never had any of the film pictures I've
taken blown up and the camera should produce 4 x 5 prints that I couldn't
tell from film. I wanted an optical zoom because I've seen how bad the
digital versions work. I also wanted an auto lense cover because I always
hated fooling with a lense cap, I originally wanted a Canon S45 because of
the sliding lense cover/power switch but I can't justify the additional 100
dollars just for that. I also like the fact that I can use AA bateries or a
rechargable pack in the camera, that way when, I don't mean if, I wind up
with a dead battery at the wrong time I can at least pop in a couple of AAs
and keep on going. Circuit City has them on sale with a "Starter Kit"
which comes with a small tripod, photo paper and I think a spare battery for
237 plus change. I was thinking of getting this camera and trying it out
for a few days and If I like it then getting the docking station which comes
with the battery pack and a memory card, either 128 or 256 meg. I figure
this setup should cover my needs and not break my budget. Sorry to be long
winded but I'm trying to give you an idea of my needs and what info I'm
dealing with on these cameras. Any comments?

Bill

Old June 29th 04, 02:12 PM
Bluedoze

look for the canon A80, it's on Costco with $300 with the Addon kit
(including the rechargable batteries, charger, and canon case).

Bluedoze

Old June 29th 04, 05:00 PM
Kenneth Miller

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Try here for a review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430.html

Ken Miller

Old June 29th 04, 06:24 PM
Bill

I saw that review but wondered if anyone had some real world experience with
this camera. Could be a moot point though, I just found a Kodak DX-4530
5Meg camera for 299.00. It's also reviewed on Steve's site and looks good.
Doesn't have a built in lens cover like I like but for that price I'm going
to look at it real close.

snip

Old June 29th 04, 06:27 PM
Bill

Whupps, I meant to put down 267.72 + tax. I've got camera's on the brain
right now and confused myself....again.

Bill

Old June 29th 04, 11:50 PM
Don R

I have the DX6440 (4MP) and the DX7630 (6.1MP). Overall, the DX6440 is a
fantastic camera. Has enough overrides to accomodate most situations. Has
the integrated lens cover (the lens cap on the DX7630 drives me nuts). The
DX6440 is lightweight, uses AA batteries, and is a fun camera to use. It has
taken some really great photos for me. I tried the DX4530, and was lukewarm
on it. I also had a Canon A80 which I got rid of. Really bad indoors, small
controls that were hard to read because of their size, and a very small LCD.
I really like the DX6440, and the DX6490. I am an oldtime SLR user, but
retired it for my Kodak point and shoots.

Old June 30th 04, 12:27 AM
Ron Hunter

Bill wrote:

[...]

You might also want to look at the DX7440 and the DX7630, as well as the
older DX6440. All should suit your needs well.
Old June 30th 04, 12:28 AM
Ron Hunter

Bill wrote:

I saw that review but wondered if anyone had some real world experience with
this camera. Could be a moot point though, I just found a Kodak DX-4530
5Meg camera for 299.00. It's also reviewed on Steve's site and looks good.
Doesn't have a built in lens cover like I like but for that price I'm going
to look at it real close.

"Kenneth Miller" wrote in message

snip

Try here for a review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430.html

Ken Miller

I would check instead the DX6440 with a 4X optical zoom, and almost all
the other features of the 4530, and comes bundles with the dock for
about that price. BTW, you can do MUCH better then $299 for the 4530.
Old June 30th 04, 12:31 AM
Ron Hunter

"Bill" wrote in message

I saw that review but wondered if anyone had some real world experience

with

this camera. Could be a moot point though, I just found a Kodak DX-4530
5Meg camera for 299.00. It's also reviewed on Steve's site and looks

good.

Doesn't have a built in lens cover like I like but for that price I'm

going

to look at it real close.

"Kenneth Miller" wrote in message

snip

Try here for a review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430.html

Ken Miller

If you want to see some pictures taken with the DX6440, check out
webshots for user rphunter42. Select the homepage and scroll down to
the Alaskan Cruise pictures. 450 shots all taken with the 6440, and
most posted without any postprocessing.
Old June 30th 04, 02:42 AM
Fr@nk

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I have the CX7430, and think it's great. I also normally use the
Auto-everything mode, and only occasionally use the other modes. It takes
well-detailed pictures--better than the DX6xxx series in my opinion. Those
had too much of the Kodak "oil painting effect": too much noise
reduction/processing. The images seem very bright, well-lit, well-saturated
and clear--even indoor pics without flash. Seems like a fast lens (is
"bright and clear--even indoor without flash" an indicator of a fast lens?)
to me.

Another nice thing about the CX7430 (over the DX6xxx series): 640x480 movie
mode (although only 13 fps). Still, nice to have.

The exposures are usually excellent. My only gripe is occasionally it over
exposes: it employs the flash a little too often, I think. But this is very
easily defeated with the dedicated flash button, if you want. Another handy
thing: I like the way you can use exposure compensation even in Auto mode.
Seems kind of counter-intuitive, but it works if you usually use Auto mode.
Take the photo; if it's a tad light/dark, just bump up/down the exp.
compensation. I don't recall my old Canon A40 (or even A70/75) having exp.
comp. in Auto-everything mode.

The colors are fantastic, the exposure right on, and very sharp focusing.
Shot-to-shot time is very good. Very small (not Elph-size, but very small)
size. Battery life is very good. I think it's a great mix of features for
the price, as long as you're not into setting shutter speed and/or aperture.

I also saw a review at www.megapixel.net. You should check it out. Good luck
with your decision.