Kodak dx6340 - Memory card requires formatting

Old January 20th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Kodak dx6340 - Memory card requires formatting

HI. Hoping somebody can help.
I bought my dx6340 camera 2 christmas' ago.
Last Christmas, I bought an SD 1 gb card for the camera.

Once I put my card in the camera, the camera prompted me to format it.
I have not been able to proceed past this point.
Even once I removed the card from the camera, now I get :

Reading Memory Card [when camera gets turned on]
Memory card requires formatting (continue) [when camera is ready]
Formatting will delete everything on memory card (continue)
Memory card is protected (reset switch on memory card)

I seem to be stuck in this loop.

If I connect my usb cable from my pc to the camera, I am able to read
the internal memory.

Is there a way to reset the camera? Does anybody know if there is a
jumper or reset switch somewhere in the camera itself?

help !!

27 rich at gmail dot com

Old January 20th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Even once I removed the card from the camera, now I get :

Reading Memory Card [when camera gets turned on]
Memory card requires formatting (continue) [when camera is ready]
Formatting will delete everything on memory card (continue)
Memory card is protected (reset switch on memory card)

I seem to be stuck in this loop.

yes, because you have to turn the little switch on the sd card to the
non-protect position ;-)

lg, philip

Old January 20th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks for some suggestions.

THe problem that I am having is my sd card is not in the camera.
I get the same result if the card is in or out of the camera.

Seems like the camera is stuck trying to write to the card. Unsure how
to reset this.

Rich

Old January 20th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Batteries brought to a dead state. Restart camera, asked for set data
and time. No luck.
No batteries for 4 days, Restart camera, asked for set data and time.
Still no luck.
FM - read all of it, even the online manual. Still no luck.
called Kodak . Got some "genious" that walked me through putting my
card in and out. Still no luck... They asked to get it serviced.
Estimate = $290.00 CAD. (includes resetting the camera somehow)....
May as well buy a new one. Hoping somebody else has got something

Thinking of updating the firmware to see if this might help.
If cameras are anything like system boards, there must be a reset
switch / method somehow.
Rich

Old January 20th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 20 Jan 2006 05:32:40 -0800, Itch wrote:

HI. Hoping somebody can help.
I bought my dx6340 camera 2 christmas' ago.
Last Christmas, I bought an SD 1 gb card for the camera.

Once I put my card in the camera, the camera prompted me to format it.
I have not been able to proceed past this point.
Even once I removed the card from the camera, now I get :

Reading Memory Card [when camera gets turned on]
Memory card requires formatting (continue) [when camera is ready]
Formatting will delete everything on memory card (continue)
Memory card is protected (reset switch on memory card)

I seem to be stuck in this loop.

What happens if you insert a smaller card in the camera, either
the last one you used prior to getting the 1GB card or the much
smaller one that came with the dx6340 (assuming Kodak included one
in the box)? If you're still stuck in that loop with one of the
other cards then the camera is probably broken. If not . . .

Check your camera's manual to see if it specifies the card sizes
that can be used. Most manuals will have a table showing how many
shots you can get using different resolution settings for several
different card sizes. My guess, since your camera was manufactured
at least two years ago is that it wasn't designed to accept cards as
large as 1 GB and the manual won't have any references to 1GB cards.

Old January 20th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:29:33 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

The problem there is that the manual may be behind the times, card
size-wise.
The camera may well access cards larger than were available when the
manual was written; and udually, the manual won't list any sizes that
weren't available then.
What's necessary is to find what sizes the camera will take now. The
help desk will be able to give that informqation, but, since they
don't usually volunteer information, the question has to be
specifically asked. When told to RTFM, just say the manual is not
available, and you need to know not what the manual says anyway, but
the actual capability to read cards.
Should work, but then...

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old January 21st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:16:55 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

The problem there is that the manual may be behind the times, card
size-wise.
The camera may well access cards larger than were available when the
manual was written; and udually, the manual won't list any sizes that
weren't available then.
What's necessary is to find what sizes the camera will take now.

That's true, but I gave an answer based on my own experience. I
bought a 1GB card for my Fuji and the manual only listed card sizes
up to 512MB. But there's were differences. In my case, the 1GB
cards (xD) didn't exist at the time I bought the camera so it's
understandable that the manual wouldn't list 1GB cards. With the
dx6340 it's murkier because although it was designed one or more
years before the Fuji, 1GB SD cards were also available before the
1GB xD cards. Only if they are not mentioned in the dx6340's manual
will there be some question as to whether the camera is compatible
or not, and then some research will be required. Some manufacturers
have web pages that list the maximum sizes their cameras use. If
Kodak doesn't, that information will can be gotten either from
Kodak's tech. support or possibly in this ng from either the
official Ron or the semiofficial one.

Old January 21st 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"ASAAR" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW from the FAQs on Kodak's web site:

Question:Is there a maximum size Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMedia (MMC)
memory card that will work in my Kodak EasyShare digital camera?
Prev Next

Answer: Answer last updated:07-13-05
Any Kodak EasyShare digital camera that accepts a SD or MMC memory
card can use any size card (such as 8 MB through 512 MB).

NOTE: We cannot guarantee compatibility with "high-speed" SD cards
such as xSD or Ultra-2 because these memory cards are designed primarily for
video or audio.

Regards,
John

Attached Images

Old January 21st 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:21:42 GMT, John Sheatsley wrote:

FWIW from the FAQs on Kodak's web site:

Question:Is there a maximum size Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMedia
(MMC) memory card that will work in my Kodak EasyShare digital
camera?
Prev Next

Answer: Answer last updated:07-13-05
Any Kodak EasyShare digital camera that accepts a SD or MMC memory
card can use any size card (such as 8 MB through 512 MB).
. . .

Unfortunately that's still too vague. This answer was
written/updated at least a year and a half, possibly two years or
more after the dx6340 was purchased, and may only apply to "current"
cameras. Also odd is that the upper range was limited to 512 MB.
Odd if *any* of Kodak's cameras at that date were able to utilize
1GB cards, that is. As I noted in a later followup, a more
definitive answer is needed, such as from Kodak's tech. support, as
the online answer provided by this FAQ doesn't answer its own
question convincingly. It could also be taken to imply that all
current and future cards greater than 512MB will also work with all
EasyShare cameras, such as 2, 4 and 8 GB SD cards. Very unlikely.

NOTE: We cannot guarantee compatibility with "high-speed"
SD cards such as xSD or Ultra-2 because these memory cards are
designed primarily for video or audio.

So several years worth of conventional wisdom ("your camera may
not be able to take advantage of faster cards but they'll transfer
files faster in a card reader") is no longer valid, at least for
Kodak's cameras? If this is true (but I kinda doubt that it is),
then Kodak is obligated to provide much more detailed card
compatibility information, at least for any of their cameras now
labeled with the albatross known as "EasyShare". I wonder if any
other manufacturer's cameras are similarly limited?

Old January 21st 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Itch wrote:
[...]

Well, the clue is in the phrase 'memory card is protected'.
There is a small slide tab on an SD card and having it in the wrong
position prevents WRITING to the card. Formatting requires writing,
reading doesn't. Make sure to slide the little tab in the correct
position (marked on the label), and see if things improve. BTW, why did
you wait so long to ask this?
If sliding the tab securely to the unprotected position doesn't help,
you can get the card replaced by the manufacturer.