Kodak to stop making digital cameras

Old February 22nd 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Kodak to stop making digital cameras

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

exactly why mac sales are up. people are buying the product that best
fits their needs.

That's not what Apple told me. They believe it's mainly because of the
association with iPhones and iPads and such.

that helps get people to consider macs as an alternative. it does not
guarantee a mac sale.
Old February 22nd 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 11:00:55 -0800, Mxsmanic said:

It's hard to tell, since you never know what's inside a Mac.

Actually you can tell exactly what is inside a Mac via the System Profiler.
For example, the Mac I am writing this response on has these items as
part of its hardware overview:

Intel Core i5, 3.6GHz, 2 Cores, L2 Cache(per core) 256KB, L3 Cache 4MB.
8GB 1333MHz DDR3
2TB Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 7200RPM
ATI radeon HD 5670

As I'm sure you know 'duck, you can go deeper than that in system
profiler - down to many of the major chips/subsystems on the system.
(See system report and then delve into each subsystem - and each of
theirs - and so on...).

And presented in a clean readable way that makes Windows look pathetik.

eg:Serial ATA
Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH8-M AHCI
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Hitachi HDS722020ALA330:
Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HDS722020ALA330
Revision: JKAOA20N
Serial Number: .....

etc., etc., ....

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 22nd 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 17:12 , Mxsmanic wrote:
tony cooper writes:

So I couldn't buy three non-working Macs, take enough working
components from each of the three to assemble one working computer,
and it wouldn't be a Mac?

Physically, or legally?

He can do both. The Apple SLA is to run 1 OS X on 1 working Mac.
Cannibalizing parts to make one is a working Mac.

Old February 22nd 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 17:13 , Mxsmanic wrote:
nospam writes:

exactly why mac sales are up. people are buying the product that best
fits their needs.

That's not what Apple told me. They believe it's mainly because of the
association with iPhones and iPads and such.

There has been a halo effect but it doesn't cover all growth in Mac
sales. What the percentage is I don't know.

Old February 22nd 12, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Whisky-dave wrote:

I know peole that write apps for android and iPhone, and tehy have to
use both devices
and the iPhone always wins on user experience that is tapping the
display and launching the app.
rather than repeat tapping and hopping that it will launch and not
crash.

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

--
Chris Malcolm
Old February 22nd 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
R. Mark Clayton

On 2012-02-22 13:28 , Mxsmanic wrote:

Anyway, the point is that you _can_ build a PC from component parts, but
you
_cannot_ do that with a Mac.

Yes you can - and many do.

Any "standard" intel based PC (recent intel x86 CPUs back to 2005ish) can
be loaded with the Mac OS.

Making it work requires a bit of work - but if you choose your components
right, then others have done the work and you just follow their recipes
for configuration.

This violates the Apple SLA for OS X, however. But there is nothing in OS
X that prevents it from running or updating.

Which is the problem - if Apple made cars then you would have to buy Apple
tyres and Apple petrol and Apple screen wash [etc.] and it would all cost
double what it would from Esso, or Texaco. Of course you could fit your own
tyres and fill up at Chevron, BUT then crapple would refuse to honour the
warranty.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Old February 22nd 12, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.
Old February 22nd 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

Which is the problem - if Apple made cars then you would have to buy Apple
tyres and Apple petrol and Apple screen wash [etc.] and it would all cost
double what it would from Esso, or Texaco. Of course you could fit your own
tyres and fill up at Chevron, BUT then crapple would refuse to honour the
warranty.

nonsense. macs use standard off the shelf parts, including standard
sata hard drives, standard memory dimms, standard usb peripherals and
standard dvi and displayport displays. macs can plug into any ethernet
or wifi network (the 'roads') too. *none* of that voids the warranty.
Old February 22nd 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 13:28 , Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

First of all the SLA has nothing to do with what you add to a Mac or how
you run it. But, in answer to your premise:

I immediately after purchase upgraded the RAM with non Apple parts
purchased online. Per Apple this does not invalidate the warranty.

I eventually replaced the original HD with a part I bought online. Per
Apple this does not invalidate the warranty. To do so I had to open the
Mac to work my way in. Unlike a PC this is a 30 - 45 minute job. Per
Apple, doing so does not invalidate the warranty. (At the time the
warranty had about a month left).

I connect all manner of devices to the Mac. This does not invalidate
the warranty.

I run all manner of apps on the Mac. This does not invalidate the warranty.

I run Windows on the Mac under a vitualizer. This does not invalidate
the warranty.

I ran Linux on the Mac under the same virtualizer. This does not
invalidate the warranty.

etc.

If one day the power supply goes, there are 3rd party suppliers.

If one day the CPU or graphics goes - I'll have to go to Apple. Or just
buy a new machine.

Old February 22nd 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 17:44 , nospam wrote:
In , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

My SO got an Android from her cellco. for $10. Does all that Android
****. The cheapest iPhone she could have gotten was $100 (3GS I think).