A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old October 11th 18, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 406
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/10/2018 8:10 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:


As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does not
have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes them
"optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are referring to
as "optional updates".


I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have to
go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities and
limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get something else
done...)

Many people don't understand Win10 and keep treat it like it's an
updated version of XP. As a result they create most of the problems they
have for themselves and then whine about it on the internet. I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years. So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

FWIW, there have been different "editions with different abilities and
limitations" since Windows 3.1, so that also isn't anything new.

--
best regards,

Neil
  #22  
Old October 11th 18, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 11/10/2018 13.36, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 8:10 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:


As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it
there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell
Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does
not have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes
them "optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are
referring to as "optional updates".


I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

*From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have
to go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities
and limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get
something else done...)

Many people don't understand Win10 and keep treat it like it's an
updated version of XP. As a result they create most of the problems they
have for themselves and then whine about it on the internet. I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years. So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

FWIW, there have been different "editions with different abilities and
limitations" since Windows 3.1, so that also isn't anything new.


Yet we can not set updates on "manual", so as to choose the exact moment
when to do or not do updates. At least not on the home versions.

Sometimes I want to power off the machine and it refuses because it is
applying an update that instant, and takes an hour or two to do it,
during which I can not power off and go with the laptop in the bag.

Maybe this is not a problem to people with machines connected and
powered all day, all week. But it is to me that I power it up seldom.
Maybe once a month, to process some photos.


--
Cheers, Carlos.
  #23  
Old October 11th 18, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/10/2018 05.25, nospam wrote:
In article , Ron C
wrote:


IMHO the larger problem is that Win 10 updates *CAN* delete files.


of course it can. that's how updates work. new files are installed and
old ones are deleted. it's also not just system updates. apps can also
delete or corrupt files, as can the user. malware is designed to do
that.

the real problem is that a data loss bug was reported and ignored.
that's bad.

Also Win 10, by design, forces updates.


which is a very good thing. users generally do not bother updating,
putting themselves and others at risk.

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often occurring at
the worst possible time.

The level of trust has been greatly compromised.


true.

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?


that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.


Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?

Now I have to go and compare to see what if any got lost.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
  #24  
Old October 11th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?


that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.


Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?


the update deleted entire folders, which is very obvious, but
regardless, if a desired file is missing, retrieve from a backup. it's
not a big deal.

and it's not just updates. users **** up and mistakenly delete files.
buggy apps mistakenly delete files, or corrupt them. or, someone wants
to revert to a previous version.

anyone who doesn't have backups has only themselves to blame *when*
(not if) they lose important data, not microsoft, apple, google, etc.
  #25  
Old October 11th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , MC
wrote:


unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often occurring
at the worst possible time.


I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then see
the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the Start
menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into "Configuring
windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to desktop. No
fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see no problem
whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".


then you're the exception, or just in denial.

there are *****loads* of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

https://twitter.com/baratunde/status/10541091
lost 90mins of work. wish to destroy microsoft. it did a windows
update. asked me if i wanted to restart now/later. i chose lata. it
ignored

https://twitter.com/Lydricsama/status/792697513060995073
Automatic Windows update restarted my PC and I lost hours of work in
a commission. I want to ****ing die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_restarted
_while_i_was_in_the_middle_of/
Soo... yeah. I have it scheduled to "notify to schedule restart" but
the option to choose a new time was greyed out, so I couldn't
reschedule it. I saw it coming, and spent a few hours fighting with
the OS, but in the end, I lost the fight. Is there any way I can
prevent this from happening again?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_home_how_
do_i_prevent_update_reboots/
Virtualbox VMs and Notepads may be open with unsaved data in them.
This is non-negotiable.
Windows 10 periodically kills these applications without respecting
the unsaved data in them.
How do I force windows 10 to never do this? I don't mind windows 10
restarting if there is no unsaved data. But unsaved data in an
application should never ever ever be lost.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/..._10-update-win
pc/my-work-lost-after-window-10-nightly-restart-for/e55c0399-5fad-4e64-b
3c4-301838a1d5f6
My work lost after Window 10 nightly restart for update even when
disabled in group policy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/..._10-update-win
pc/windows-update-interrupting-games-on-windows-10/e983d3f3-8196-428d-b3
5a-3a599672e16d
So, when I am playing a game, occasionally Windows 10 will
force-minimize my game(and any other windows I'm using) without
warning to tell me to schedule the install of downloaded updates.*
This is very very bad for gaming, especially multiplayer games.

one of the best was *during* a weather report (she handled it well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPeTrHNX1U

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...ates-auto-rest
arts-are-the-worst/
Commentary: The worst feature of Windows 10 is automatic updates --
even when you're in the middle of something.
....
There's software developer Dylan Beattie, whose laptop decided to
shut down while he was giving a talk in front of 200-odd developers
in Malmo, Sweden, and found he had to wing the rest of the
presentation without his slides. "I wasn't terribly happy," recalls
Beattie, adding that he now has a habit of explicitly running Windows
Update a few hours before his presentations "just to make sure it's
not going to spring any surprises."

Alex Gibson, a 3D printing consultant, says he no longer trusts
Windows to manage his 3D printer after his computer forced a restart
near the end of a 6-hour-long print job for a customer in November.
He tells me he's switching to a Raspberry Pi.
....
Then there's Alexandria Seabrook, who says she couldn't complete the
online test for a college course this October because of Windows 10
updates -- and whose professor wasn't quite as forgiving as Gibson's
and Lyricsama's customers. Busy with midterms, she waited until
nearly the last minute before flipping open her Windows 10 computer
-- only to watch Windows Update take control of her machine until
well after the deadline had passed.

"It was only 20 questions. I could have finished the test on time if
it wasn't for the Windows Update," she tells me. She got a 58 on the
midterm, and was barely able to bring it up to a C by the end of the
semester. "I don't like [Windows], but I'm a college student," she
says. "I'm stuck with this laptop literally until it breaks down
because I have no money."
....
And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates
for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or
Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of
blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let
you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to
occur.
  #26  
Old October 11th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 347
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/11/2018 8:38 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often occurring
at the worst possible time.


I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then see
the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the Start
menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into "Configuring
windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to desktop. No
fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see no problem
whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

MC

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.
--
==
Later...
Ron C
--


  #27  
Old October 11th 18, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 406
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/11/2018 8:12 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 11/10/2018 13.36, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 8:10 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:

As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it
there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell
Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does
not have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes
them "optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are
referring to as "optional updates".

I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

*From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have
to go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities
and limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get
something else done...)

Many people don't understand Win10 and keep treat it like it's an
updated version of XP. As a result they create most of the problems they
have for themselves and then whine about it on the internet. I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years. So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

FWIW, there have been different "editions with different abilities and
limitations" since Windows 3.1, so that also isn't anything new.


Yet we can not set updates on "manual", so as to choose the exact moment
when to do or not do updates. At least not on the home versions.

Sometimes I want to power off the machine and it refuses because it is
applying an update that instant, and takes an hour or two to do it,
during which I can not power off and go with the laptop in the bag.

Maybe this is not a problem to people with machines connected and
powered all day, all week. But it is to me that I power it up seldom.
Maybe once a month, to process some photos.


Thank you for representing the point I was making, above. If you used
Win8.x, it would have broken you of such habits! ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil
  #28  
Old October 11th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 406
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/11/2018 8:04 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 11 October 2018 12:36:13 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 8:10 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:

As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does not
have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes them
"optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are referring to
as "optional updates".

I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have to
go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities and
limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get something else
done...)

Many people don't understand Win10


Surely they shouldn't need to, any more than understand how a microprocessor works

They do, if they're going to screw with it.

Well a good OS shouldn't allow the user to create so many problems.

A good OS allows users to accomplish what they need to do. For many, if
not most, that means running the apps that they need, but for others it
means being able to configure the hardware and OS for special purposes.


I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years.


Not every PC users feels they need to update so often and are happy with what they have so don't update partly due to cost of update or the percived hassle.
This is where Apple have it more sussed, by giving away major updates users are more willing to update especially when they don;t have tp pay for it, so more users update.

The updates aren't the issue. It's users that want to involve themselves
in a process they don't understand.


So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.


Not exactly a glowing refernce for a new OS if yuo;re comparing it with a 15 year old OS.

Well, I'm not comparing it to a 15 year old OS, and I don't know what
gave you that notiono.

--
best regards,

Neil
  #29  
Old October 11th 18, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , Neil
wrote:

Many people don't understand Win10


Surely they shouldn't need to, any more than understand how a
microprocessor works

They do, if they're going to screw with it.


end users don't screw around with microprocessors and probably don't
even know which one is in whatever device they're using (nor do they
need to). they use whatever apps they need to do their work and then do
something else when they're done.

Well a good OS shouldn't allow the user to create so many problems.

A good OS allows users to accomplish what they need to do. For many, if
not most, that means running the apps that they need, but for others it
means being able to configure the hardware and OS for special purposes.


two different use cases.

a good os is optimized for one or the other, not both. a bad os tries
to do everything for everyone, and fails.
  #30  
Old October 11th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 347
Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/11/2018 10:53 AM, MC wrote:
Ron C wrote:

On 10/11/2018 8:38 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often
occurring at the worst possible time.

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

MC

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.


Windows 10 is designed to ensure updates do, indeed, take place. It is
not, however, designed to update when it feels like it. This is so
that workflow is not disrupted. There are ways built into Windows 10
to allow you to control when (not if) and how the update is
implemented. If the update options and controls are set up correctly
on your PC then any disruptions to your "show" will not happen.

MC

The reboot took place in the middle of the "normal use" window so I
was quite surprised by this. I wasn't in the room at the time so I don't
know if there was a "system will reboot in xx minutes" type warning.
I have no idea what triggered the reboot .. I looked up, noticed that
the lights stopped working, went down stairs and found the computer
had rebooted.
~~
So... I guess I need some educating. What option settings should I
check to keep this from happening again?
--
==
Later...
Ron C
--


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing a bust of a person on a 3D printer from panoramic JPEG files on Windows Grease Monkey Digital Photography 1 October 7th 18 01:38 AM
Printing a bust of a person on a 3D printer from panoramic JPEG files on Windows Eric Stevens Digital Photography 1 September 8th 18 12:15 AM
Viewing MP4 Files Under Windows Harpocrates Digital Photography 4 February 6th 05 09:13 PM
Opening Pentax *ist DS RAW .PEF files in Windows 98? Helen Edith Stephenson Digital SLR Cameras 24 January 10th 05 09:16 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.