Lytro Camera

Old July 28th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Default Lytro Camera

I've gone to the site and seen the smallish photos taken by this camera.
It is cool to be able to refocus I guess. But, what really is the point
of this camera? The end result seems a bit more gimmick than something
with a potential related to art. Just my opinion and I again admit that
the ability to refocus the images is kinda cool for what that's worth.
It just seems that if I want shallow DOF and to use that in my image,
I'm going to do that and focus on what I want to be in focus. If I want
everything in focus, it doesn't look that that camera can deliver or, at
least, I haven't seen any claim that it can allow everything to be in
focus at once, but maybe I missed something. Also I wonder if this
technology hints at some other use or capability that may be useful for
something other than allowing the end viewer to pick the point of focus.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 28th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 7/27/2011 7:41 PM, Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

What you're seeing on that site is flash animations, not the real output
from the camera. And they are VERY low resolution! To me, this is simply
vaporware. No images of the camera, no actual images to download, no
description of the capture process, nothing. While it's a nice idea, so
is/was 3D photos. I'll hold on to my current cams.

One other think that might be a fatal flaw: printing.
Old July 29th 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

On 7/28/2011 12:21 PM, Bowser wrote:
[...]

Yep, printing pretty much negates the coolness of the image assuming the
ability of the view to select focus is the selling point. Surely there
cannot be that many people who are worried about not being able to get
their images in focus that would buy it for that reason . . .

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old August 8th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bowser wrote:

What you're seeing on that site is flash animations, not the real output
from the camera. And they are VERY low resolution!

The lightfield info must be captured somewhere, and there are
only so many pixels on the sensor.

To me, this is simply
vaporware.

There isn't a mass production camera yet --- so?

No images of the camera,

see above.

no actual images to download,

Which of your programs understands refocussing the way the camera
allows? None. That's about as useful as sending you a RAW that
you cannot decode.

no
description of the capture process,

Of course there is. With real papers and all.

nothing. While it's a nice idea, so
is/was 3D photos. I'll hold on to my current cams.

The Lytro will never replace your camera. Just as running images
haven't replaced still images.

One other think that might be a fatal flaw: printing.

Same fatal flaw movies have.

-Wolfgang