Modifying A 'Gaussian Blur' Tool Use Question

Old March 13th 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default Modifying A 'Gaussian Blur' Tool Use Question

On 3/13/2011 3:43 AM, SneakyP wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in :

Interesting idea. It would probably work on some
images, but I'm in doubt about any "automatic" selection
or intesity methods for procesing images. I *always*
want to very precisely do that sort of thing manually.
(I guess that means I'm picky picky picky, eh?)

Nothing wrong with manually correcting the picture. This does seem to be an
artists area. But, a very-mild noise reduction on a picture might minimize
any further work needed in certain situations. Masking such a process may be
the trick.

Thanks for the rest of the tips, though. Have to experiment with that.

I will add to my prior post and floyd's suggestion, which I did not read
the first time.
In CS5 you can control the flow of the brush. I would first create a new
layer ctrl | shift I E.
Then simply use the blur tool, set at say 10% flow and go over the spots
you want to blur. If you over blur, you can either back track history,
or increase the transparency of the layer you are working on. If you
want more blur, simply go over the same area.
I use a Wacom Intuis tablet, which helps with stuff like that.
Also floyd's suggestion of selection and feathering is also a good
technique.
Pick the one, or combination that you are most comfortable with.
--
Peter
Old March 13th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 3/11/2011 11:52 PM, SneakyP wrote:
Rather than applying a gaussian blur uniformly over an entire picture,
it'd be really neat to be able to vary the radius and strength of the blur to
proportionally and inversely match to the square-root of the average
luminance of a sample field in question. IOW, I'm trying to reduce that shot
noise, especially for higher ISO pictures. Call it a tailor made color-
luminance noise filter.

Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this? How to make a variable
blur, depending upon the brightness of an area? I'd go even so far as to do
individual profiles for each of the color fields.

Thanks for any answers.

Using what program. What you want can be acomplished in CS5, but AFAIK,
not automatically. (Nor would I want it to be.)

--
Peter
Old March 13th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:27:05 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 3/11/2011 11:52 PM, SneakyP wrote:
Rather than applying a gaussian blur uniformly over an entire picture,
it'd be really neat to be able to vary the radius and strength of the blur to
proportionally and inversely match to the square-root of the average
luminance of a sample field in question. IOW, I'm trying to reduce that shot
noise, especially for higher ISO pictures. Call it a tailor made color-
luminance noise filter.

Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this? How to make a variable
blur, depending upon the brightness of an area? I'd go even so far as to do
individual profiles for each of the color fields.

Thanks for any answers.

Using what program. What you want can be acomplished in CS5, but AFAIK,
not automatically. (Nor would I want it to be.)

Any Adobe version that includes the ability to make a selection. The
blur can be applied to a selection without applying it to the whole
image.

There may be other editing programs that include the ability to make a
selection, but I don't work with any other program.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 13th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

Of course. But that as not the original question. The OP wants the blur
to vary with the luminescence. You might be able to accomplish this with
contortive multiple selections, but I would think that application of
the Gaussian blur in a variable manner would best be accomplished with
the blur tool, or possibly in combination with the smudge and sharpen
tools. Each can be applied on its own layer with the transparency of
each layer being adjusted to taste.

--
Peter
Old March 13th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL![_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Wow, you fools have to do everything the hard way, don't you. "Variable
Blur" filter in Photoline. Duplicate layer, convert to monochrome, layer to
mask, apply Variable Blur filter. Done. You ****ingly pathetic idiots.
Every last one of yas.

LOL!

Old March 13th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

compared to you, yes! No one can be as brilliant as you. I don't even try.
Enjoy your basement.

--
Peter
Old March 14th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

SneakyP wrote:
Rather than applying a gaussian blur uniformly over an entire picture,
it'd be really neat to be able to vary the radius and strength of the blur to
proportionally and inversely match to the square-root of the average
luminance of a sample field in question. IOW, I'm trying to reduce that shot
noise, especially for higher ISO pictures. Call it a tailor made color-
luminance noise filter.

Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this? How to make a variable
blur, depending upon the brightness of an area? I'd go even so far as to do
individual profiles for each of the color fields.

Thanks for any answers.

Duplicate the layer, apply blur to taste, play with blend modes (like
"luminosity") and opacity sliders.

Another method is select a color range and change the "Select" option to
"Shadows." Use the dropper to select a dark area, use the slider to vary
the selection area and, once selected, use the Gaussian Blur filter.

You could also make the selection in the second method, create a new
layer from the selection, and then blur and play with the blend modes.

Just some ideas . . .

Eric Miller
Old March 14th 11, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL![_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Oops, minor correction. That danged German to English translation rears its
ugly head again. NOT Monochrome. Convert to Gray. (a quick one-click access
on the Attributes/Layer pallet)

It also takes another couple steps (having suggested the above from memory
when using it instead for its more common use as a DOF emulator with
depth-masks).

Duplicate layer
Convert to Gray
[Optional Step: Adjust Gray image layer with Histogram or Curve tools to
emphasize which luminosity ranges you want most affected.]
Tool Change Channels Move Black Channel to Mask
Delete Gray Layer
Apply Variable Blur

NOW it's done!

LOL!

Old March 14th 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL![_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Faster method:

Convert to CMYK (or Lab, quick one-click on attributes pallet
Change Channels Move Black (or L) channel to Mask
Apply Variable Blur filter using its Bias adjustment-slider to change the
desired blurring curve.

DONE!

The fun (and great) thing about Photoline is that there's so very many ways
to get from A to B. There's not just one best-method, and they're all
available with this software.

Old March 14th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

SneakyP wrote:
Rather than applying a gaussian blur uniformly over an entire picture,
it'd be really neat to be able to vary the radius and strength of the blur to
proportionally and inversely match to the square-root of the average
luminance of a sample field in question. IOW, I'm trying to reduce that shot
noise, especially for higher ISO pictures. Call it a tailor made color-
luminance noise filter.

Anybody have any ideas on how to accomplish this? How to make a variable
blur, depending upon the brightness of an area? I'd go even so far as to do
individual profiles for each of the color fields.

You want noise reduction, not just blur. It used to be dust and
scratches in the filter menu, I do that in the raw conversion but either
way, apply noise reduction to a duplicate layer or process out a
separate copy with noise reduction then make another copy and use that
to create a mask from the luminance (brightness). It's a bit complicated
to explain every step but you make a selection from the layer and use
that to mask out the noise reduced layer. Look for a tutorial on masks
and channels:

http://www.google.com/#q=tutorial+on...nels+luminance