SFO, Yosemite, etc.

Old February 24th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default SFO, Yosemite, etc.

[also posted on rpd.slr-sys]

Just turned in a pile of points for a trip to CA via San Francisco this
summer (2 weeks, Last half of July). Nature destinations are Yosemite,
Sequoia, Death Valley.

Not sure if we'll spend much time in San Francisco.

Any and all ideas, pointers gratefully received.

Gear:
Digital: 6 Mpix DSLR
Film: 35mm and 120 (slide film [V50/100; E100G...]).

Lenses: 35mm: 20mm, 50mm, 100mm, 135mm, 28-70, 80-200 (all f/2.8
or faster)
120: 80, 120 and 150mm (may rent a 40mm too).

Tripod/geared head.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 24th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
[also posted on rpd.slr-sys]

Just turned in a pile of points for a trip to CA via San Francisco this
summer (2 weeks, Last half of July). Nature destinations are Yosemite,
Sequoia, Death Valley.

Death Valley will be very hot in late July, I've done so & it was
sweltering even in the morning. The Central valley and inner coast
ranges are almost as bad. At the same time SF will be chilly & shrouded
in fog but if you follow the edge of the fog along the coast it's
lovely, like in the coast redwoods. Fingers of fog & sun mixing is nice.

And the high Sierras will be good so maybe check out the view from above
the canyon. Sonora Pass is a fun winding high mountain pass:
http://edgehill.net/California/Sierr...a-pass/pg3pc14
with Tioga in Yosemite for a loop, and down to June Lake, etc.

Old February 25th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

Paul Furman wrote:

Death Valley will be very hot in late July, I've done so & it was
sweltering even in the morning. The Central valley and inner coast
ranges are almost as bad. At the same time SF will be chilly &
shrouded in fog but if you follow the edge of the fog along the coast
it's lovely, like in the coast redwoods. Fingers of fog & sun mixing
is nice.

I lived in California for over 40 years and have only been to Death
Valley once... in December. It was great! I'd never even contemplate
it in July.
Old February 25th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

Alan Browne wrote:
Not sure if we'll spend much time in San Francisco.

SF is a beautiful city for photography.
Old February 25th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michelo

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

First, you should probably buy a National Park annual pass.

Are you planning to stay near the car at viewpoints, or go on long
hikes? I've got two books from National Geographic on National Parks
and State Parks if you are interested to borrow. They list most
interesting attraction, trails with maps and services provided. It is
very good for planning. I also have the maps provided at the park
entrance for most of them.

Michel
Old February 25th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

The DaveŠ wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

Death Valley will be very hot in late July, I've done so & it was
sweltering even in the morning. The Central valley and inner coast
ranges are almost as bad. At the same time SF will be chilly &
shrouded in fog but if you follow the edge of the fog along the coast
it's lovely, like in the coast redwoods. Fingers of fog & sun mixing
is nice.

I lived in California for over 40 years and have only been to Death
Valley once... in December. It was great! I'd never even contemplate
it in July.

You can barely breath there in July.
Old February 25th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jufi[_3_]

Yikes....

SFO: just walk around! It's a very photogenic city and even the old cliche
shots can still look good.

Yosemite: head to the high country and avoid the crowds. If you walk just
500 yards from the roads, most of the crowds can be left behind. Visit the
Tolumne (spelling?) meadows early in the day, and plan a few hikes, like the
one up to Cathedral Lake, which is an alpine lake bounded by towering
granite spires. Best light at Cathedral is late in the day, but leave enough
daylight to get back down the mountain. If you're really ambitious, take the
hike to Cloud's Rest, which is a moderate but long hike of about 15 miles.
Views are amazing, and you're looking *down* at half Dome.

Mono Lake at dawn is pretty special, if you can get there.

Death Valley is going to be hot, for sure. I was there at the end of July
two years ago and it was 122F. My gray tripod got too hot to touch in 15
minutes. If you can, the classic shot is looking across the valley at dawn
from Zabriske Point. A little later in the day, take a ride to Dantes View
for an amazing view of the valley. In the valley, later in the day look for
Golden Canyon and then the Badwater basin later in the day.

Old February 26th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[also posted on rpd.slr-sys]

Just turned in a pile of points for a trip to CA via San Francisco
this summer (2 weeks, Last half of July). Nature destinations are
Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley.

Death Valley will be very hot in late July, I've done so & it was
sweltering even in the morning. The Central valley and inner coast
ranges are almost as bad. At the same time SF will be chilly & shrouded
in fog but if you follow the edge of the fog along the coast it's
lovely, like in the coast redwoods. Fingers of fog & sun mixing is nice.

And the high Sierras will be good so maybe check out the view from above
the canyon. Sonora Pass is a fun winding high mountain pass:
http://edgehill.net/California/Sierr...a-pass/pg3pc14
with Tioga in Yosemite for a loop, and down to June Lake, etc.

Thanks Paul, we realize that that is a particularly hot period but it's
when my SO can take vacation. We've done other "hot" trips, nothing a
slow walk with plenty of water can't handle.

I'll be trying to get a high sierra camp in Yosemite, but the lottery
ended in Nov 2007! I'll call in, faint hope, for any reservations that
may open up (cancellations) on April 1. With all the gear we'll likely
hire a donkey to lug the weight. At this stage, our hiking will be
limited to day loops.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco."
-mis-attributed to Samuel Clemens.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 26th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Feb 25, 7:34*pm, Alan Browne
wrote:

Thanks Paul, we realize that that is a particularly hot period but it's
when my SO can take vacation. *

*With all the gear we'll likely hire a donkey to lug the weight.

Might I suggest Rita for the job? You won't find a bigger ass on
which to haul all that gear around.

Old February 29th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Greg Campbell[_2_]

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:34 pm, Alan Browne

wrote:
Thanks Paul, we realize that that is a particularly hot period but it's
when my SO can take vacation.

With all the gear we'll likely hire a donkey to lug the weight.

Might I suggest Rita for the job? You won't find a bigger ass on
which to haul all that gear around.

Leave it to the resident jackass to pollute every last thread on this
group....

Death Valley IS survivable in summer.
If you have camping equipment, set up shop at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat
campsites, high up in the Pananmint range. (36°13'48.12"N 117°4'7.02"W)
and retreat to higher altitude by 10am of so. There are several
photogenic sites nearby; the ghost town of Skidoo, the charcoal kilns,
Augereberry point, and more.
Otherwise, you can get a room in Beaty and hide out during the afternoon
heat.

Pre-dawn and early AM aren't too bad; it's cool enough to allow a bit of
activity. Try a 3AM hike of the Stovepipe Dunes. Schedule your trip to
include moonlight and you've got some compelling photo opportunities.

The Bristlecone Pine forest is a hundred miles up the road and are well
worth the visit. http://sonic.net/bristlecone/ If you have a high
clearance vehicle, try descending Silver Canyon and enjoy the rugged
scenery.

IMO, Big Pine is much more relaxing than the overgrown Bishop. Stay in
the Big Pine Motel and enjoy a beer and BBQ on the lawn.

North of Big Pine the Owens Valley offers all manner of scenery.
There's really too much to list. Grab Google Earth, enable the
Panoramio layer and take a virtual tour of the area. Mono Lake, Devil's
Postpile, Mammoth Mountain, Convict Lake, Bodie, etc., etc.

Last I looked, Yosemite area camping can be found on a first-come basis
in Lee Vining Canyon, just east of the park.

N of Yosemite, check out at least one of the passes across the Sierra.
Hwy 108 and 89 are both spectacular.

More later....